Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Michaelshane

One Too Many
45 long Colt
P1060370.jpg
[/IMG]

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
My Black Powder Guns

Here's a group photo of a few of my black powder guns:

1874 Sharps Hartford calibre .44 2-1/4" Sharps Bottle Neck (.44-77 SBN)
1860 Henry calibre .44 Henry Centerfire
1851 Colt Navy Richards-Mason conversions calibre .38 Long Colt
4-41.jpg

The cartridges are for the Sharps and are loaded with 77 grains of powder behind a 407 grain paper patched bullet.

Sharps patch box:
4-32.jpg

Left side:
4-17.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about the Winchester model 270 .22 pump action rifle? I know they're very low-end, inexpensive and made post-1963, but I'd love some more info about how they shoot (or any other useful details). Bueller?

I'm currently looking for a very inexpensive .22 rifle, but preferably not a Ruger 10/22. While I love the Rugers, I'm looking for something a little more interesting - preferably a pump or bolt action. Thanks!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I can't speak for the Winchester pump, but when I was 11 or 12 my dad purchased a lever-action Marlin .22 that was supposed to be mine (Mom nixed it) and it is a great shooter. I doubt it meets the “inexpensive” criterion, though.

-Dave

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I suggest that you get this:

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/455lux/

Why you ask? It's a nice accurate bolt action rifle, and the weirdly shaped stock is made to shoot offhand (standing), but seems to make no difference at all when shooting from prone, setting, or kneeling positions. The hump helps you shoot with your head level, which makes it easier to shoot accurately. (NRA Level 1 Approved Rifle Coach) Check gun-broker for their prices. I have a CZ-452 American and have tried a friends CZ-452 Lux. The Lux is easier to shoot in standing position. The 452 is being discontinued, and replaced with the improved 455 model. These cost under $500 if I remember correctly. Not exactly a 10/22, but not an Anschutz either. This is an excellent gun to shoot CMP Sporter matches with.

http://www.odcmp.co/Competitions/rimfire.pdf

Later

Last edited:

Story

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the tips, guys! Unfortunately, $500 is out of my price range. I'm looking for something REALLY cheap, like $300 or less :( Great to keep in mind for future purchases though! Thanks again.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
That's too bad. Apparently the .22 my dad bought for me is the Marlin 39A, which has been around since 1937 in its current form - but apparently retails for around $570.00. A true Golden Era classic, it's the oldest shoulder arm in continuous production anywhere in the world according to Marlin's website.

-Dave

1961MJS

Thanks for the tips, guys! Unfortunately, $500 is out of my price range. I'm looking for something REALLY cheap, like $300 or less :( Great to keep in mind for future purchases though! Thanks again.

Hi Kitty, you MAY want to wait a while. If not, the Savage bolt actions are also pretty good guns, and their MSRP is under $300.00 (mostly). If you can find a CZ lux model to pick up and hold, you MAY find you want to wait and save up. If you can find a Savage, or other bolt action, pick it up first to make sure that the stock fits.

If you can find a copy of the Army Marksmanship Unit's Rifle guide, that will be a big help. I found the Pistol version, but not the rifle.

Later

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I would second 1961MJS, those CZ 22s are great guns for the money. My plinking/training rifle is one in 22mag and its wonderful. I like the stock as well since my hunting/big bore rifles are European style stocks like that anyways.

Renault

One Too Many
Generally get to work on all of these rifles on a daily basis. And I agree that the CZ 452's are primo rifles. Have one myself. As are the Model 39 Marlins. They an be pricey. Do not discount a good used rifle. I never buy a new firearm as there are way too many good quality used ones out there.

Win. model 270's have been out of production almost 30-40 years and they were basically made at a point in time when Winchester was needing to put cash in the coffers quickly. They made many different models of what I would call hardware store variety firearms that performed well for their life expectancy, but are best thrown away when they break or get any wear on them. Especially now, 40 years after they were new..........

I see well built, good quality, used bolt .22's that come thru our shop all the time. Spent their life in a closet. They can be had for a good price. Most for less than $200.

Renault

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
So I ended up with a Marlin 925R .22 bolt action that Story sent me a link to. Turns out the seller is a member of my club, which is fantastic, since I was able to try it out first. The price was great and it came with a ridiculous number of accessories including (but not limited to) a bipod and TWO scopes, one of which is a very nice Center Point 3-9x40AO. I'm very pleased with it so far!

248808_10150195919239000_566218999_6823557_310763_n.jpg

229045_10150195919279000_566218999_6823559_417241_n.jpg

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Recently picked up one of these up for my daughter who has developed an interest in learning how to shoot. A Winchester Wildcat in .22 Long Rifle. Russian-made and very accurate. A very nice shooter...

winchester-wildcat[1].jpg

1961MJS

So I ended up with a Marlin 925R .22 bolt action that Story sent me a link to. Turns out the seller is a member of my club, which is fantastic, since I was able to try it out first. The price was great and it came with a ridiculous number of accessories including (but not limited to) a bipod and TWO scopes, one of which is a very nice Center Point 3-9x40AO. I'm very pleased with it so far!

248808_10150195919239000_566218999_6823557_310763_n.jpg

229045_10150195919279000_566218999_6823559_417241_n.jpg

That's great you got to try it first. Did anybody tell what ammo it likes? If they didn't, go to the nearest store and get some of each type of Standard velocity and high velocity ammo that they have and see which groups the best. I wouldn't suggest the hyper velocity stuff unless you plan on hunting at long range with it.

Later

Story

I'll Lock Up
For Kitty and anyone else fairly new to firearms, I'd suggest checking out Project Appleseed
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

If there's nothing scheduled in your locale, email and ask - the Squeeky wheel getting the grease and all that.

The other is the Civilian Marksmanship Program
http://www.odcmp.co/

Match organizers are generally friendly folk, and if one emails ahead of time to say "I don't plan to shoot, but can I come watch for a bit?" they're usually amenable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner