Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Perspex

Perspex was invented in 1934 and was used on most of the allied aircraft for canopies and gun turrets. So, yes it would be easy to salvage some broken bits for a grip!

Rathdown

Practically Family
Sarge, I'm looking at a double in .405 Win. Opinions as to caliber, please? (I have a .450 x 3 -1/4 and wondered if, in your opinion, the .405 might be an improvement?)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Excellent! That clarifies things. I still maintain that what we have here is Infantry Nose Art.
I should have put in my post that I agree with you completely! There were, unfortunately, thousands of wrecked aircraft all over the world, so not to hard for a poor mud slogger to come by a little clear peace.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Sarge, I'm looking at a double in .405 Win. Opinions as to caliber, please? (I have a .450 x 3 -1/4 and wondered if, in your opinion, the .405 might be an improvement?)
I am not an expert on doubles, but I would take a .405 in a heart beat! It will take anything on North American soil, South for that matter also. As for Africa, it may have some trouble with the biggest, but I know it has taken Cape Buffalo. Go for it, you lucky dog!

Oldsarge

One Too Many

Actually, I would call it a step down. While the .405 is a deadly cartridge on soft-skinned game (Teddy Roosevelt thought very highly of it for lion) it lacks both bullet weight and velocity for reliable use on Cape buffalo and larger. This isn't to say that you would regret buying it. Perish the thought! The cartridge has an excellent reputation on all North American game and could be used on elephant, etc., with very careful shot placement and bullet choice. To my mind it would pair nicely with your .450 on safari, reserving the bigger gun for rhino, hippo, elephant and buffalo while enjoying .405's effectiveness on everything else.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I saw where Clark Custom guns was converting the CZ double shotgun to rifles, one caliber being .405. I ran into a gentleman over in W.Monroe, La at the parish range last year who was having one made. I just wonder about the durability of the frame with that rifle cartridge

I have one of the Winchester 1985 reproductions in .405 and will say it's quite a cartridge. I'm no authority on dangerous game cartridges, but would think in a gun of proper strength with a longer throated chamber to allow longer heavier bullets it could be adequate in that role.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Well, Jim Clark has certainly been in the business long enough to know what he's doing, I'd really like to see one. There's an outfit in Ca. that does a similar thing with Browning BSS actions. The main thing to check with the donor action is to check the thickness of the breech face and of course the strength of the 'locking mechanism', the other pressure 'directions' are taken care of by the new barrels.

MP

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I wrote a chapter for the Accurate Reloading Africa Book laying out a classification system for Dangerous Game Rifles. I broke them up into four classes, with 'I' being the minimum and 'IV' being, to my mind, excessive. With strongly constructed bullets, I would venture to place the .405 in Class 'I'. This is very good company since it contains the very well thought of 9.3x62 and the sainted .375 H&H. They will work, no question about it. However, unless on is a truly remarkable shot, they are for unaware game where the hunter is dead sure of his rifle and shooting position. If things go south, most experienced Africa hands would really like something bigger. I had a Class II fail to drop a Cape buffalo even though it was shot perfectly through the brisket and bleeding profusely through the nose and mouth. Should I get back to Africa again, I will be carrying my Class III .450 Rigby Rimless! The older I get the more cautious I become . . .

Rathdown

Practically Family
Actually, I would call it a step down. While the .405 is a deadly cartridge on soft-skinned game (Teddy Roosevelt thought very highly of it for lion) it lacks both bullet weight and velocity for reliable use on Cape buffalo and larger. This isn't to say that you would regret buying it. Perish the thought! The cartridge has an excellent reputation on all North American game and could be used on elephant, etc., with very careful shot placement and bullet choice. To my mind it would pair nicely with your .450 on safari, reserving the bigger gun for rhino, hippo, elephant and buffalo while enjoying .405's effectiveness on everything else.
Thanks for the reply. This more or less follows my line of thought, although I don't think I'd risk the .450 x 3 -1/4 on anything other than thin-skinned game (I'm not sure the .450 was legal for tiger, back in the days when tigers could be hunted). I think I'll have to dicker a bit more on price, and if the seller comes around to my way of thinking, I'll probably buy the .405.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I'm in the market for a flintlock pistol replica. I was wondering if anyone here could suggest a site with good looking, good quality ones. Thanks-

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Oldsarge

One Too Many

Can't really comment on that one. I haven't read any comments on the Hulu conversion. The action is made in Turkey and I don't know anyone who has handled one of their shotguns, either. Certainly the price is modest but given the technicality of building double rifles, that would be a red flag for me. But I live a long way from S. Carolina. If I could put my hands on it, I might change my mind.

Rathdown

Practically Family
Huglu makes a decent sxs shotgun-- I believe CZ sxs are made by them. I think a road trip may be in order as soon as I finish work on my pilot, as that's considerably less than the gun I'm presently looking at.

Rathdown

Practically Family
Does this look cheap? I know it's non firing and that doesn't matter. It's a gift for an old man, friend of mine who won't be shooting anything.

http://replicaweaponry.com/nap18flinpis.html
er... it's a toy, and it will look like a toy. You'd be better off looking for a used flintlock pistol on one of the sites like Guns America or Gun Broker. Swap meets, auctions, and gun shows are other places worth checking out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred