Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Latigo

Familiar Face
@1955mercury ..."Just picked up this Navy Arms 1860 Henry in 44-40".... Always liked a good lever action and the old Henry's in brass look great! Now you need a 44-40 in a pistol just like they used to do it.......only need one kind of ammo for both when you're out on the trail..........

Latigo

1955mercury

One of the Regulars
@1955mercury ..."Just picked up this Navy Arms 1860 Henry in 44-40".... Always liked a good lever action and the old Henry's in brass look great! Now you need a 44-40 in a pistol just like they used to do it.......only need one kind of ammo for both when you're out on the trail..........

Latigo
I think you're right Latigo. I've been searching for one that appeals to me.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Good day at the range with my great-nephew! We shot everything from 22s to a 44 Special. The kid is just a good ol' farm boy that you like to be around. He loved shooting my Shield in 40 and the 1911s. Unfortunately we did crack the right grip on my 1903 Colt, it was an original and uncracked [rats].

jkingrph

Practically Family
Good day at the range with my great-nephew! We shot everything from 22s to a 44 Special. The kid is just a good ol' farm boy that you like to be around. He loved shooting my Shield in 40 and the 1911s. Unfortunately we did crack the right grip on my 1903 Colt, it was an original and uncracked [rats].

That's great. Only nephew I have is over in Ga, and he has had some drug problems with the law, including some jail time, so even if he were close, I don't think I would want him with my guns. My only grandson will be six the end of the month and is not calm enough to trust, even watching close, but getting better. I finally let him take home the last of a piece of construction equipment toy, a mobile crane with dirt bucket. They were here last weekend and he played with it properly not trying to ride it like the last couple of times. My father had purchased it for me when I was little, probably back in the late 1940's along with several other pieces, all nice metal with solid rubber Goodyear tires. I had to repaint them about 35 or so years ago for my son, and luckily that paint was very good and they are in excellent shape.

Weather permitting I am going to try to get my new little CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel back out to the range. It's a nice handy little rifle, but I believe the stock had zero finish on it when I got it, or maybe a quick spray with a very thinned oil finish. It initially soaked up a lot of my standard go to oil finish before the pores started filling and looks nice now.

niv

Familiar Face
We got ours from a friend for $600, he built it out of parts he had sitting around.

The recoil isn't bad, less than the Mauser, Nagant and Arisaka but still has more than Saving Private Ryan and hollywood would have you believe. It's managable and one can easily fire aimed shots in very rapid succession. I love it. :D No M-1 thumb yet either.
No "M1 thumb yet?" you're either very adept, very lucky, or new on the job! ;)

jkingrph

Practically Family
We had to drill with and learn manual of arms with the M 1 back in college ROTC. I got my personal Garand about 40 years later, and have never gotten a M 1 thumb. I did see a bunch back in the college days though. All those drill rifles did not have firing pins. I promptly got on the small bore rifle team when I starter my fall semester. Our armory was in the stadium as was the little rifle range. We had to go in pick up our target rifles, a box of ammo, then walk outside around to the side entrance of the range. I'm willing to bet they don't allow students out with functional guns and ammo around any buildings now.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I also fired on the small arms range with ROTC when I was a freshman and it, too, was inside the stadium somewhere, just across the street from where I lived the whole time I was in school there. That was at WVU. The mascot of the school was the Mountaineer who would shoot off his muzzleloader when the team scored a touchdown. That ceased when they forbid shooting guns off during the game.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I can also remember when we had "western day". The guns came out. Apparently a lot of guys had real western rigs, and wore them complete with ammo in belt loops. No one said anything. Although guns were technically not allowed on campus , a lot of those guys living in dorms, had cars with guns in the trunks. Never had a problem in the five years I was there, nor again several years later when my sister was there.

EngProf

Practically Family
The ROTC range here at Vanderbilt used to be in the basement of the Engineering Building - the building I am in right now. For a while my office was right above the range, and I could hear the shooting and always wanted to join in, instead of working.
Later, I was around there enough to get to know the Marine sergeant who ran the range and he gave me my own key to the range (almost certainly against regulations). Unfortunately, after a while he transferred to some other duty elsewhere so those good days went away.

As for the drill M1's, they were kept in another building. I knew a different Marine sergeant later who knew I was an M1 collector so he recruited me to fix up their M1's. The cadets had just about destroyed them. I was able to cannabilize enough rifles for parts to get enough rifles sufficiently functional (not falling apart) to do their drilling.
In addition to the firing pins being welded, the clip guides of the rifles were welded so that you couldn't load them. Also, the op rod pistons had been sliced with a saw so they would not function, either. A total mess...

As a Garand fan it was really sad to see what had been done to those rifles - first by the Navy to make them non-functional and then by the Cadets beating them to death.

Before my time here, there was a picture in the school annual of the official shooting team. Six guys, each with a high-quality match .22 rifle. By the time I came along there were no such rifles, just an empty cabinet/safe. To this day I wonder where those rifles went.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Well, I doubt that it's one of the ones you're thinking of but I have a BSA Martini match rifle with appropriate sights in my gun safe. I got it a few years ago for a project that I know will never come to fruition. If anyone is interested and has a FFL store to take delivery, shoot me a PM and we can dicker.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I just have to point out here that a freshman girl from WVU won the first gold medal in shooting and the first gold medal awarded. Not only that, she graduated from the same high school our two kids attended. Facts that I am unjustifiably proud of.

Willybob

A-List Customer
I used to have one of those Navy Arms Henry .44/40 rifles. Fun to shoot and gorgeous but heavy. Just acquired this CZ 9mm. Just waiting for an opportunity to take it out and see if it bites like the Browning High Power or my old vintage 1911 before the drop in beavertail. I may need to bob the hammer or drop in a spur hammer. I picked up three 19 round Mec-Gar mags for it. I hear they are very well made.

image.jpeg

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Willybob, you will like those MecGars, I run them a lot. They make factory mags for Sig, Walther, HK and several other good makers. Had a bit of good fortune today on mags myself, had a used 1911 mag in our discount bin that had been bugging me for weeks. I need another 1911 mag like a hole in the head, but today I finally bought it out of pity. Got it home, took the sticker off the bottom, and there was a Colt pony and stamp on it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana