Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Ah, now that's more like it. But lose the handcuffs. Love the .38 ACP. Will kill any game animal in North America. At least that's what Colt used to say.

Levallois

Practically Family
Ah, now that's more like it. But lose the handcuffs. Love the .38 ACP. Will kill any game animal in North America. At least that's what Colt used to say.

Why lose the handcuffs? These were patented in 1899 and so are period correct.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Handcuffs? My fantasies don't include being a sheriff. That's all.

As for the .38 ACP being good for big game, all I'm don't is repeating what Colt said, so it must be true. After all, Elmer Keith thought a .44 magnum was just about right for anything--used one handed. He used two hands for long shots. He also thought factory loads were too hot. As far as effectiveness goes, it goes without saying that you have to place your shots properly for them to have the desired effect. Near misses only work on humans. W.D.M. Bell liked to use his 7x57mm Mauser for killing elephants but we all know now that a cartridge that small is incapable of killing an animal weighing something like six tons. So he must have used something else. Either that or he only killed small elephants.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Bell was so extraordinary a shot that he could take geese out of the air with a rifle. And that story of his using a 7mm Mauser on elephants is urban myth. He didn't even buy the 7mm until he retired to Scotland. However, he did use FMJ .303's on elephant quite successfully. But understand, he was hunting elephant in a day when they were innocent and unaware of how dangerous pale skinned people were. Now they know better and so should we.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I have a .38 Super Government Model. I don't like calling them "1911s." I'm funny that way.

I recall seeing a photo of some Western law enforcement types from sometime before WWI and for long guns, they all had Winchester lever actions, including Model 1895s. I had one of those for a while (not the carbine, though) but I hardly used it at all.

There was a movie about the "Mad Trapper of Rat Rover" with Charles Bronson. The Mad Trapper was a real-life character who led some Canadian Mounties on a chase through the Yukon and Northwest Territories after shooting one and killing another during the chase. He used a Savage 1899 and the correct rifle was used in the Charles Bronson movie. But most everything else in the story was turned upside down, Hollywood-style, although they managed to include most of the elements in the story one way or another, like the part where they blew up his cabin. There were other movies about the story, all equally fictionalized.

Movies sometimes get little details like that right but ignore the actual story.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
What a modern, forward thinking (and well to do) deputy sheriff would carry turn of the 20th century - Savage 1899 saddle ring carbine in 32-40, Colt’s 1900 sight safety Automatic Pistol in 38 AC and various period correct accoutrements. The savage is extremely rare in this caliber and they only made 4200 or so of the 1900 and few are left with the sight safety intact.

Very nice sir.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
My favorite 45 Colts, chambered in 4.5mm! That's right, these are just .177 cal BB guns... but they sure look/feel/and even operate like the real thing! I've been plinking with these lately; popping cans and cups out back. Cheap, quiet, and cool!

Umarex BB replica of the Colt SAA (45 Colt)

KWC BB replica of the Colt 1911-A1 (45ACP)

45Colt BB Guns.jpg

RJR

Bell was so extraordinary a shot that he could take geese out of the air with a rifle. And that story of his using a 7mm Mauser on elephants is urban myth. He didn't even buy the 7mm until he retired to Scotland. However, he did use FMJ .303's on elephant quite successfully. But understand, he was hunting elephant in a day when they were innocent and unaware of how dangerous pale skinned people were. Now they know better and so should we.
For several years I collected Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifles.A good deal of what I read spoke of Bell being very fond of the MS 1903 carbine in 6.5x54 MS and taking elephants with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112