Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

MikePotts

Practically Family
Also, and forgive my ignorance again, what would happen if I shoot a dummy bullet with a blank gun?

Do Not shot that replica with any sort of real ammo - blanks or not.....OK lecture over :)

It appears to be a replica revolver made of 'pot metal'/zinc casting/or some such thing which is why the finish is rough and not 'shiny' and never will be unless some sort of 'paint job' is applied. As per the picture the barrel is not bored out at the breech leaving the charge or bullet nowhere to go after detonation, even a 'blank' will almost certainly cause a burst in the chamber in which it is fired, possibly causing injury to the shooter or anyone standing close by. I doubt that there is a striker (firing pin) installed or even a hole for the same to pass through anyway. I would satisfy myself with 'dummy' not 'blank' rounds and imagining the report. :)

MP

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Mike I sent you a PM with a couple of questions that would only clog this thread with my lack of knowledge. You're right, I found documentation grandpa had about this and other guns (manuals and stuff) and it says this is a made in Italy (Bruni) blank firing replica (zinc alloy) of a Colt Python 4 357 Magnum 9MM. Fairly recent purchase.

Is this little thing in the back the firing pin (The one above the gold)? That pops inward when I cock the hammer and pops out when I dry-fire

0e56502f.jpg

1) Should I buy 9mm DUMMY rounds or .380 as the manual says this one holds. Or are they the same thing but different speed.
2) what would happen if I pull the trigger on the above gun with a dummy round inside?

Last edited:

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Mike I sent you a PM with a couple of questions that would only clog this thread with my lack of knowledge. You're right, I found documentation grandpa had about this and other guns (manuals and stuff) and it says this is a made in Italy (Bruni) blank firing replica (zinc alloy) of a Colt Python 4 357 Magnum 9MM. Fairly recent purchase.

Is this little thing in the back the firing pin (The one above the gold)? That pops inward when I cock the hammer and pops out when I dry-fire

0e56502f.jpg

1) Should I buy 9mm DUMMY rounds or .380 as the manual says this one holds. Or are they the same thing but different speed.
2) what would happen if I pull the trigger on the above gun with a dummy round inside?

If I were you I'd visit a gun shop. Let them look it over, most either have an in house gun smith or one they can send you to if the gun is capable of firing blanks and they can check it out for you. I'm seeing some confusion on terms though. "Dummy" bullets to me are NON-firing, no powder, no primer. Just a bullet lead and the brass casing, often with holes drilled in the brass to indicate it's NON firing. "Blanks" on the other hand merely don't have the lead. They still are FIREING. They still have powder and can still KILL if you say hold the gun to your head and pull the trigger. You can't fire "dummy" bullets, but they can't harm anybody unless you try to swallow them and choke on em. You can fire "blanks" but you can also kill somebody with blanks. I can't tell from the pics if that gun is capable of firing blanks or not. Often blank fire only guns are an odd caliber though like 8mm so that you can't load bullets in them. So that's why I suggest you take it to a gunsmith/gunstore in person and let them handle it rather then us trying to guess from pictures.

Matt

Rathdown

Practically Family
Will Rem Oil wipes be good? (I'm new at this Thank you!)

take a look

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=53544/pid=41786/Product/18411_REM_OIL_WIPES_FOIL_PACKS
Remington Oil Wipes are an excellent product; before using them on your blank-firing revolver, I would suggest you first test them on the inside of the trigger guard to make sure that they won't damage or remove the finish.

As Matt suggested, your best course of action is to pop into your local gun shop and have them look over your revolver; they can tell you the best product to use to protect the finish, and whether or not it is safe to fire blanks.

mrbieler

New in Town
A few vintage pieces.

1893 Webley sadly converted by a previous owner to .45ACP from .455
Webey_MkII-1.jpg

A 1954 S&W M28
m28.jpg

Hard to argue with the Hi Power for sexy semi-autos. This is a WWII Canadian Inglis
inglis_1.jpg

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Great pictures, you guys. Making me miss the USA. I've really enjoyed this thread. :)

My husband (not a fan of the firearms even slightly at any time) said if we move back to the States I can have what he's planning to spend on TV-and-auxilaries for guns - as a mechanism for him to stay on budget because he REALLY doesn't want a massive collection of anything that goes bang in the house... and this thread has been fun to watch and fun to think about what I can/should get for myself.

jkingrph

Practically Family
A couple of nice Swiss straight pull bolt action military rifles. The First a 96/11 Schmidt Rubin, the second a K-31, both with fantastic wood that would be excellent for a custom sporter much less a military rifle

http://

off side of stock on the K-31

A Swedish Mod 96, made by Mauser in Germany, dated 1900 with a 2 digit serial number, and it has been arsenal modified to their short rifle configuration which we call a mod 38 in the United States.

Last a Husqvarna Mod46 sporter, vintage 1929, in 9.3x57, with excellent wood.

Mark D

One of the Regulars
I'm a big fan of the K31. Their accuracy is legendary. I own one myself though it's not in nearly the condition that yours is. These are the only 'off-the-rack,' iron-sight rifles that that I know of that can be expected to hit a 4 moa target at 1000 yards with standard issue [GP 11] ammunition...in the right hands of course ;)

Really, they are wonderful rifles.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I'm a big fan of the K31. Their accuracy is legendary. I own one myself though it's not in nearly the condition that yours is. These are the only 'off-the-rack,' iron-sight rifles that that I know of that can be expected to hit a 4 moa target at 1000 yards with standard issue [GP 11] ammunition...in the right hands of course ;)

Really, they are wonderful rifles.

Cannot argue with that. I have several K-31's thankfully purchased when prices were in the $70 range each. I looked at Simpson's yesterday and was shocked at the going rate now.

My 1911 was obtained via a group buy/import deal a few years back. I added a Furter rear sight ( a micrometer adjustable leaf rear sight) and find that I shoot my best groups with it as compared to the K-31's, probably due to the longer sight radius.

I go back further with the Swiss, having a 1873 Vetterli in 10.4x54R, R meaning rimfire, which I converted to centerfire and still shoot occasionally. It's a 11-13 shot tubular magazine bolt action repeater. 1873 was the year the US dropped the muzzleloader and went with the single shot 1873 Springfield. The 1873 Swiss was a modification of their earlier model of 1869, the biggest difference being the rear sight and the elimenation of a loading port cover. I make cases from either .348 Winchester or 8MM Lebel brass, cutting down and resizing to get proper size, then load and shoot. I have a couple of custom molds to reproduce original bullets, but can use use cast pistol bullets indended for a .44 magnum revolver, which work perfectly.

jkingrph

Practically Family
Wow, that's a real trip. I've never seen anything like that before.

They are not very common. I saw my first one when I was stationed in Turkey back in 1973. I did not know anything about them then, although I wish I had so I would have purchased it. Since then I have only seen two other Darne's other than my 28ga, one a cheaper Halifax model not in good shape the other a high grade knock off brand.

In reference to the Charlin, mine is the only one I have seen, and judging by the engraving pattern it is a lower grade gun. Although the action looks much like the Darne the lock up is different and not nearly as strong, the Darne being capable of handling some big bore centerfire rifle cartridges. On the other hand the Charlin is very smooth, fit of the slide to frame is fantastic, and it rides on hidden ball bearings which make it so smooth.

These are a few guns I hope to someday be able to pass on to my grandson who is due to be born in a couple of months.

My brother is an expert on everything related to firearms, however, he says he's not sure he's seen a sliding action double-barrel like this. Everyone here at the gun shop was impressed.

Renault

One Too Many
I dove hunted with a friend's 28 gauge Darne back in the 70's! I truely coveted that gun!!!! And one of our regulars brought in his 12 several weeks ago along with a Francotte 12.

I had a 1911 Schmidt Ruben I bought back in the late 60's for $24.95 at the local surplus store! But, I have to believe that my current K31 is just about one of the most accurate military rifles I have ever fired. And I'm Mr. Mauser!!!!

Renault Sahib

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda