Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Zemke Fan said:
All --

This is a discussion of gun collections. Any posts that stray into questions about the appropriateness of gun ownership or similar political topics will be edited and/or deleted.

Thanks in advance for keeping this one on the tracks.

This still stands, folks.

millbrookmusic

Familiar Face
Tho' nothing vintage, I do own a Remington 870 with an 18" barrel in ugly synthetic black. I wanted something that my (future) wife and I would be able to use in a worst case scenario (protection). I don't have the $ for fancy firearms at the moment but I've had my eye on the Beretta Stampedes:

466-0614-stampede.jpg

ImmaginiProdottiBeretta%5C2%5C110_elenco.jpg

DSC05695.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
warbird said:
I need to get the camera out and take a couple myself. My latest, an old CZ 550/602 African Safari in .375 H&H.

Yes, please do take pics.

1909 Haenel .323 (chamber) to .318 (Muzzle) Mannlicher [ignore the Martini-Henry round].

MHside1.jpg

millbrookmusic said:
Tho' nothing vintage, I do own a Remington 870 with an 18" barrel in ugly synthetic black. I wanted something that my (future) wife and I would be able to use in a worst case scenario (protection).
THe 870 is a fine shotgun, a lot of Law Enforcement people like it. THere are numerous aftermarket additions and upgrades that are available for it, so you can customize it to your liking.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Story said:
Yes, please do take pics.

1909 Haenel .323 (chamber) to .318 (Muzzle) Mannlicher [ignore the Martini-Henry round].

MHside1.jpg
Whooee! Nice. Love that drop at comb, and the schnabel.
Great example of prewar European.

Gaping trigger guard, almost drilling-ish.

warbird

One Too Many
I cannot get my camera to operate properly, but it looks just like this one. In taht good of shape too. Really I would have been happy with a beat up one too.

Not a mannlicher style stock. I have a Mannlicher style on a mann-schoenauer, love them just like rumblefish and on a Ruger M77 International in 30-06.

I love the stock on it though. Now if I could find another in left handed model I would be supremely happy. I really like CZ rifles. I also like Win 70's, but my favorite action by far is the Mauser action. The only rifle that comes close to them in my heart is the double Beretta rifles, which I have a couple of nice versions. I shant take pics, they stay in a vault only to see light before big hunts, which I shall have next in the spring. Among the best double guns made today is the Searcy. If you are going to hunt dangerous game in Africa, you should consider a good double rifle. Nothing else can get two shots off as fast with as much firepower as they can.

I also have a new Beretta O/U shotgun on its way. I'm a big fan of Beretta, a great family a wonderful history

main023.png

Story

I'll Lock Up
rumblefish said:
Whooee! Nice. Love that drop at comb, and the schnabel.
Great example of prewar European.
Gaping trigger guard, almost drilling-ish.
Flyer36 said:
Beautiful rifle! Does that have double triggers? Interesting bolt handle as well.

Thanks.
While the trigger guard is big enough for a double, this one appears to have been ordered with only a single. The bolt handle extension places the knob right where a 98 or '03 knob would be and is professionally done.

These Haenel rifles were sold in Manhattan by a distributor, so I wouldn't be surprised if the 'house' gunsmith did the bolt handle mod.

The .318 7.9 Mauser bore has been opened at the chamber end to accept .323 diameter projectiles (yes, I slugged both ends).

shortbow

Practically Family
Story, that is one cool gun. I have never seen one of those before. Would just love it if you could post some more pics, especially of the action?:eusa_clap

shortbow

Practically Family
Hey Story, I was intrigued by your comments on bore diameter, and checked my "Cartridges of the World," .323 is the nominal dimension of a good number of German cartridges, not the least of which is the 8x57JS Mauser, and you might also want to check the 8X56 Mannlicher-Schoenauer. Cheers.

DerMann

Practically Family
millbrookmusic said:
Tho' nothing vintage, I do own a Remington 870 with an 18" barrel in ugly synthetic black. I wanted something that my (future) wife and I would be able to use in a worst case scenario (protection).
No matter how ugly the stock is, the Remington 870 will always be one of the most solid, rugged shotguns available. You made a wise choice choosing it.

On the topic of Remington 870s, gentlemen, I'd like to introduce you to the Remington 1740:

motivator3486400.jpg

Some guy on another forum actually bolted a left hand and right handed 870 receiver together and manufactured a pump to cycle them at the same time.

Here's the link:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=280902

There are lots of pictures and three videos (of him firing the beast). It's remarkably simple how he did it, really.

I think the mossberg 590 line is supposed to be very reliable. I found that I'd like to get a 12 guage that has the ghost ring sights, it really helps me with target acquisition. One of the Ithica pump shotguns that's long out of production is prized by Law Enforcement, I forget the model but a friend got one as an anniversary gift from his wife! How cool is that.

Charlz

Familiar Face
DeaconKC said:
Charles, welcome to the place! Gotta love those snubbies.

Thank you. I am enjoying it here indeed. I also have a Ruger SP101 snub in .357. I have blond diamond wood stocks installed on it which adds to its appearance. It has a brisk kick as any good revolver should. I carry it infrequently due to my partiality toward my plastic Austrian autoloader. I shall photograph it soon as my schedule will allow. I think five .357 cartridges should suffice in dissuading any narcotic saturated miscreants from doing me harm.

Cheers
Cz

John, I know the Ithaca 37 was a cop-favorite...

If anybody's interested, the 1740's creator is on TheHighRoad.org under the name "Deer Hunter". I'm already trying to work out mechanics for a "Tactical" version, to include independent or simultaneous pump operation just by moving the forearm, Thompson-style vertical foregrip and rail-mount for an Aimpoint or EOTec sight between the receivers... of course, dual bayonets and grenade-launcher mounts are a must--the ultimate double-gun?:eek:

Custom79

One of the Regulars
some of my favs

millbrook music - I have a set of Uberti SAA's in .45 colt that I use for cowboy shooting.

For shotgun, I'll stick to my 1910 Winchester Model '97.

It makes a very distinctive sound when you rack a shell into the chamber.

C79

Story

I'll Lock Up
shortbow said:
Hey Story, I was intrigued by your comments on bore diameter, and checked my "Cartridges of the World," .323 is the nominal dimension of a good number of German cartridges, not the least of which is the 8x57JS Mauser, and you might also want to check the 8X56 Mannlicher-Schoenauer. Cheers.

As near as I can figure, it was the early 8x57 Mauser .318 opened up at the chamber to accept the newer .323 8x57s. After slugging, I put some 180 grain US loads (Remington, IIRC) through it. Recoil was acceptable, cases showed no sign of headspace issues or primer blowout.

The Whitetails should fear my return in '09. ;)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Venison-Schnitzel/Detail.aspx
(Always looking for good game recipes, y'all)

DerMann said:
On the topic of Remington 870s, gentlemen, I'd like to introduce you to the Remington 1740:

I actually met the guy who developed the pump-action NEOSTEAD in 1996.
http://users.iafrica.com/n/nj/njj741t/
Unfortunately, a test version of it wasn't available in '98 (list time I was there) and it isn't imported into the US. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran