Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Sorry no picture but thanks to my new copy of Lauren Rennells Vintage Styling with Step by step techniques, i FINALLY mastered victory rolls! i was so proud of my hair this weekend that i screamed for my boyfriend to come upstairs, he thought something was wrong, but i was just excited!

:eek:fftopic: How freakin' great is Sally's beauty supply?! I spent a few bucks there this weekend and got all the stuff i need to do most of the hairstyles in the book! YES!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
*martini*time* said:
Sorry no picture but thanks to my new copy of Lauren Rennells Vintage Styling with Step by step techniques, i FINALLY mastered victory rolls! i was so proud of my hair this weekend that i screamed for my boyfriend to come upstairs, he thought something was wrong, but i was just excited!

:eek:fftopic: How freakin' great is Sally's beauty supply?! I spent a few bucks there this weekend and got all the stuff i need to do most of the hairstyles in the book! YES!

Ohh I cant wait for pictures!!!!

I LOVE Sally's... that place is my one stop shop.. :)

Inky

One Too Many
*martini*time* said:

why no pictures? But i am happy to hear the rolls have been conquered! and yes, I love Sally's - they know me in there by name and often hold things for me they think i'll like (mostly nail polish and anything RED). it's almost like going to Starbucks where they make my drink when they see me getting out of the car.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Hail Sally's Beauty Supply, and hail Fleur de Guerre for starting the rolled bang trend! "One of us, one of us..." ;)

Miss_Bella_Hell and Lenore, looking great!

Martini, we want pictures! And we want them NOW! :D

Lenore

Practically Family
Yes! Sally's is awesome!

Along with other hair supplies, I picked up a rat à la Fleur's faux bang tutorial. (That's been fun to play with. I think I need to trim it down about 1/4 of an inch as full size it seems to throw the balance of my bone structure off. I'm hoping I can get it down before the end of the week as I think it would be terribly fun for my casual Friday look. :D) Also, in the ethnic hair supply section, they usually have a great selection of pomades. I just picked up some Dax, and I think I've found my pomade soulmate. :)

07731500201_220x220_a.jpg

Also to find the BIG bottle of Lottabody, and use it to fill up my little bottle. :)

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
:eek: Hopefully you ladies won't kill me...but there isn't any pictures...I'm going to try the Pin up style sometime soon and i'll post pictures of that...

I never went to sally's until a few weeks ago when i needed some lottabody...now it's my favorite place!!! I can't wait to go back...i have a feeling they'll be getting lots of my monies!

Edit, i have mini bangs...do you think i could still do a faux bang?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
*martini*time* said:

Hmm... You'd need a really small rat. My bangs are past the tip of my nose, and I have trouble wrapping all the hairs around. It's worth a try, though!

:eek:fftopic: Actually, instead of stuffing my rat with hair, I stuffed it with upholstery cotton. It bends really well without a wire - although I might put one in for good measure.

SayCici

Practically Family
*martini*time* said:
Haha, if you have mini bangs you don't need faux ones! I think if you found a rat small enough for bangs like C-dot recommends it'd probably be pencil shaped, which isn't really the look you're going after.

If you mean brushing some of your longer hair over and making a faux bang with that, you may have to pull the hair from too far away and might have trouble keeping your real bangs tucked in, but it's worth a shot I guess.

I would just wrap my bangs around the biggest sponge roller they could, or do a standing forward pin curl, so the bangs had more of a curl instead of being flat.

Inky

One Too Many
SayCici said:
If you mean brushing some of your longer hair over and making a faux bang with that, you may have to pull the hair from too far away and might have trouble keeping your real bangs tucked in, but it's worth a shot I guess.

I just saw a post from a gal on the live journal vintage hair that has bettie bangs and she pulled her hair from farther back to make them. If you look at Fleur's tutorial she goes far back when she parts her hair for the roll, so it would make sense that it works.

http://community.livejournal.com/vintagehair/872489.html (see the comments where she says she had bettie bangs and just pulled the longer hair forward)

"one of us, one of us..."

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
My "Bettie Bang" have grown out to almost an eyebrow height. I'm feeling like they are too long now, and i don't have time for a cut. I guess i'll have to try, maybe tomorrow when it's the "day of not washing my hair" i'll let ya'll know what happens

Hestia

Familiar Face
Rag curl-o-rama

I always do better when I have something to copy. From "Beauty is a Thing of the Past", I found this setting pattern, combining pincurls and rag curls.

4027947795_c1c17cfeb4.jpg

My hair is on the long side for these styles, and it's thick, coarse and ornery, so I was pretty sure my first try would be a total bust. It really surprised me and didn't turn out too bad!

4028674164_fa60900930_m.jpg
4027868707_66b88b6179_m.jpg

The rags were really comfortable to sleep on, and I am a very fussy sleeper.

Antje

One Too Many
*martini*time* said:
My "Bettie Bang" have grown out to almost an eyebrow height. I'm feeling like they are too long now, and i don't have time for a cut. I guess i'll have to try, maybe tomorrow when it's the "day of not washing my hair" i'll let ya'll know what happens

My bangs are also growing a bit too long and I think I'm gonna try the front rol again one of these dayes

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Antje said:
My bangs are also growing a bit too long and I think I'm gonna try the front rol again one of these dayes

So this morning i joined Fleur's Faux Bang Roll Revolution. I just back combed the CRAP out of my bangs and used that foamy roll thing that fleur uses. Well, i'm actually surprised at how well it turned out. I hot rollered the rest of my head, put a couple of rolls on the top, a bandana and i was ready to rock! But, i have...misplaced my camera...so...no pic. I tried to search for it this morning, but with 2 kitties fight playing and running late...i couldn't find it. I'll search again tonight and see if i can get a picture.

Blondie

Practically Family
Hestia said:
I always do better when I have something to copy. From "Beauty is a Thing of the Past", I found this setting pattern, combining pincurls and rag curls

My hair is on the long side for these styles, and it's thick, coarse and ornery, so I was pretty sure my first try would be a total bust. It really surprised me and didn't turn out too bad!

4028674164_fa60900930_m.jpg
4027868707_66b88b6179_m.jpg

The rags were really comfortable to sleep on, and I am a very fussy sleeper.
WOW you look gorgeous ! It turned out really well !

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Howdy dolls. I tried wave clips Saturday and wasnt too happy. I think they work well on the sides of the head, but not the top...they tend to crimp the wave a little too tightly and give you a 'bump' instead of a wave?? Wondering if anyone else feels that way...[huh]

Anyway, I think Lauren Rennells must be right when she says a perfect fingerwave set requires a combination of tools sometimes. I am thinking plain single pronged clips (or duckbill clips) would work better for the upper half of the head and the waving clips for the lower regions. I'll keep ya'll posted.;)

Lenore

Practically Family
LisaFreemontSt said:
Howdy dolls. I tried wave clips Saturday and wasnt too happy. I think they work well on the sides of the head, but not the top...they tend to crimp the wave a little too tightly and give you a 'bump' instead of a wave?? Wondering if anyone else feels that way...[huh]

Anyway, I think Lauren Rennells must be right when she says a perfect fingerwave set requires a combination of tools sometimes. I am thinking plain single pronged clips (or duckbill clips) would work better for the upper half of the head and the waving clips for the lower regions. I'll keep ya'll posted.;)

Can't wait to see what you've come up with. A good friend of mine was asking about fingerwaves just yesterday and I was at a loss of what to tell her. :eusa_doh:

Antje

One Too Many
*martini*time* said:
So this morning i joined Fleur's Faux Bang Roll Revolution. I just back combed the CRAP out of my bangs and used that foamy roll thing that fleur uses. Well, i'm actually surprised at how well it turned out. I hot rollered the rest of my head, put a couple of rolls on the top, a bandana and i was ready to rock! But, i have...misplaced my camera...so...no pic. I tried to search for it this morning, but with 2 kitties fight playing and running late...i couldn't find it. I'll search again tonight and see if i can get a picture.

Well if it works for you it must work for me, I will find out one of these days

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Hestia said:
I always do better when I have something to copy. From "Beauty is a Thing of the Past", I found this setting pattern, combining pincurls and rag curls.

Lookin' good, Hestia! I think that set suits ornery hair lol

Hestia

Familiar Face
Thanks Blondie & C-dot! I am definitely using this one again. Rags are great for roping ornery hair!

And Lisa, I was wondering the same thing about those wave clips. I bought a set last weekend but they look like they pinch up such a little bit of hair... Haven't tried them yet, but I could imagine that 'bump' vs 'wave' problem. Interested to see how you work it out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou