Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

show us your lippy

Novella

Practically Family
I could use some work on perfecting red lipstick application. I think I need to invest in some good lipliner!

Here's L'oreal Plum Brulee. It's more of a dark vampy color in person than in photos. So far my favorite red! (although I have yet to try any MAC - and those colors all look so fantastic on everyone in their pictures!) My red lipstick problem is that often what looks red in the tube turns pink on my lips!

I also am in love with L'oreal color juice stick in Cherry Freeze. It's a glossy sheer color that seems impossible for me to mess up when I apply it. It smells good too! It comes off on everything and has a short life, but as it's so easy to put on I don't find it a big deal. I wear it more often than a full on red lipstick. I'll take a picture of the color and post it up this weekend!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
novella, looks pretty good to me! Lip liner is great for giving the lips more definition. And I strongly suggest in buying a good quality lip brush.
I always put on my lipstick with a lip brush and then straight from the tube afterwards. Lately though, I've been preferring lip gloss over lipstick.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Photo0011.jpg

I just bought this one, need to find a lip liner to go with it though, cuz it bleeds.
L.A. Colors Luscious Wine.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
If you have problems with your lipstick bleeding, a lip primer may be a great thing to purchase. THis product keeps the lipstick ON your lips, most brands out there work great:)

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I like Revlon red (you can't really see it in my avatar!) and for cheap and cheerful, Diva by Rimmel (about £2!)
Am dying to try Mac, did someone say they found it drying though?
K

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Badmamajama you are a hoot girlfriend! LOL!

Novella, thanks for the cherry freeze tip, I have been looking for something sheer to slap on in a hurry without flubbing up!

I can't wait to order some samples, I'm excited. Thanks everyone!
Nikki

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Hi Kitty! the drying depends on the formula, Ruby Woo being matte is more drying than say MAC Red which is a cream or satin formula, the more matte formulations stay much longer.
I am entirely a MAC devotee, love it!!!!!:D

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
$16.50 a pop Olive:eek: Pricey yes, but in my opinion worth every penny, mine have lasted for four months now, one with daily application, and occasional re touching, if you are meticulous in the morning(which I am not) and use your lip liner and brush to apply you can get away nicely without re-applying for a full day.:)

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Novella said:
I also am in love with L'oreal color juice stick in Cherry Freeze. It's a glossy sheer color that seems impossible for me to mess up when I apply it. It smells good too! It comes off on everything and has a short life, but as it's so easy to put on I don't find it a big deal. I wear it more often than a full on red lipstick. I'll take a picture of the color and post it up this weekend!

I bought it last week. I'll agree that it smells good, but it is a bright pink on me! :( The Mister hates it, too because he can't steal sugars from me without wearing it himself. I won't be wearing it often. Bummer.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
shoot2.jpg

The only decent picture I had of my lipstick and it's from 2004! Oh well...I still look the same and wear the same colour; Revlon's Love That Red.

Whoa -- my old glasses look HUGE for some reason ;)

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Help! Makeup has never been my strong point...

I've always had trouble finding a good red for my fair skin and brown-red hair, and usually just settle for something that looks OK but never exactly right... but thanks to this thread I now have some new leads to try!

I have a question for you lovely ladies; I always end up in a conundrum whenever I wear red clothing. Do I match my lippy with whatever shade of red I'm wearing (and thus have to buy scads of different reds, as I have quite a few pieces of red clothing), or do I wear whatever my dailywear red is regardless of whether or not it matches? [huh] What would be the correct "vintage" thing to do, or what would simply look best?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Now, I could be wrong, but, here's what I've been told; Yes you do somewhat match your lipstick to your clothes. Lighter clothes, lighter shade of lipstick, dark shades-a darker hue of lipstick.
I've also seen this look; playing up the eyes, as in the smokey eye look, then go for a subtle lipstick shade or gloss.
Colors, especially lipstick is something that you need to play around with. What is seen on the tube isn't exactly the color that you see on your lips!
Being fair skinned myself, I really like colors that have a brown hue to it. Reds, blue undertone instead of a pink.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Boo Hoo-- discontinued!

beaucaillou said:
When in doubt I opt for Mac's 'Carnal.' A deep blue-red.

Sorry for the junky quality.

lips1.jpg

I LOVE carnal red by MAC, but sadly they've now discontinued it. I called their Gone-but-not-forgotten number and have asked for them to search for two tubes!

I was wearing that shade the night I met my Hubby!

Honey Doll

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Honey Doll said:
I LOVE carnal red by MAC, but sadly they've now discontinued it. I called their Gone-but-not-forgotten number and have asked for them to search for two tubes!

I was wearing that shade the night I met my Hubby!

Honey Doll

HD!

I had no idea it's gone! Do you know the hotline number? It's my favorite!

Thanks for the heads up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy