Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Militaria

Here ya go:

20121022_201812.jpg

<br>
<br>

20121022_201835.jpg

CaptionВоспитанник суворовского военного училища в парадной форме(1943 - 1945)Vospitannik Suvorovskogo Voennogo Uchilischa v naradnoy forme (1943-1945)(Suvorov Military Academy student in elegant form (1943-1945))
Well..."Elegant form" is better translated to "Parade uniform" :)

Giftmacher

One Too Many
This one is bit older than WWII. It's Austro-Hungarian shrapnel shell with M08 time fuze which I found at least three years ago in WWII.
Soviet encampment (must have been also austrian training area certainly) This week I finally decided to clean it up.
Shrapnel.jpg

earl

A-List Customer
If I could do photos I would. But, then when I describe this, folks will know what it looks like. My great uncle who fought in Europe in WWII brought back an enormous Nazi flag which I've hung on to out of historical interest and an interest in WWII-can't say I've ever displayed it, however.:D The thing is around 8 feet by 12 feet and in near perfect condition. Have always wondered where such a flag of that size may have flown, (he died before I could ever have met him and so don't know how he came to have it). Any of you WWII buffs have any idea where flags of that size typically flew? thanks, Earl

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
The really huge flags were often hung along the walls of buildings. Look at pictures of large Nazi parades and you are likely to see them on the walls of buildings along the parade routes.

DNO

One Too Many
If I could do photos I would. But, then when I describe this, folks will know what it looks like. My great uncle who fought in Europe in WWII brought back an enormous Nazi flag which I've hung on to out of historical interest and an interest in WWII-can't say I've ever displayed it, however.:D The thing is around 8 feet by 12 feet and in near perfect condition. Have always wondered where such a flag of that size may have flown, (he died before I could ever have met him and so don't know how he came to have it). Any of you WWII buffs have any idea where flags of that size typically flew? thanks, Earl

Flags that size could well have flown over significant buildings. I have a 6' x 12' Union flag (Union Jack). It was the size that was used to fly over the Parliament buildings in Ottawa and at a couple of significant garrisons in the country (one of which would have been here in Toronto). They're big, but they were meant to be flown.

Sometimes the fittings on the staff end of the flag can indicate its function. Grommets may indicate a 'hanger' rather than a flag meant to be flown from a pole. A rope and toggle would be fairly indicative of a flag meant for a pole. I'm no expert on Nazi flags but this is certainly true for many countries.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana