Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases....GUYS !

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
My third Vintage Purchase

I've just won this bouble-breasted jacket, dated 1943. In the seller's photos, you can see that it appears to be a dull brown, until you look at the detail picture where it appears to be a gray-blue plaid. At any rate, I don't know why they've called it a "dinner jacket."
For $10, I can easily resell or pitch it if it's not very nice. I can certainly think of better things to pair it with than that ruffled shirt.

D-5-1943-Mens-DB-Jacket-1.jpg

D-5-1943-Mens-DB-Jacket-2.jpg

Salv, I have those tan bucks also - perfect for this scorching summer.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
GRRR

amazing tie i DIDN'T purchase.....

3072.jpg

did anyone here purchase this tie from a certain vintage website ?
if so PM me and i'll grovel and offer you obscene amounts of cash for it !
you know you don't want it really.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
That jacket arrived today, HJ, and let me tell you I am VERY chuffed.
It is in perfect condition, the date tag is clear, it has no smell beyond the hanging-in-some-musty-closet-for-40-years smell, which will clean out, and with a bit of shortening of the body, it will fit me like a glove. The wool is very heavy weight.
The sleeves are creased.
I intend to get photos of it this evening and create a thread - I'll need advice before having it cleaned and altered.

Score!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
A great suit jacket, and it went to the right guy! :eusa_clap

You have an interesting choice to make: do you leave the buttons as they are, or do you add two more buttons to the chest, making it a 6-button jacket?

I say this because 6-button double-breasted jackets seem, to most people, to be more '30s-'40s looking ... even though 4-button double-breasted jackets were also worn throughout the period. It's the same deal with pointy collared shirts: they seem quintessentially "golden era", though they were only one of many collar shapes worn back then.

Barry

Practically Family
Salv said:
My new summer trousers from Rocacha - lightweight cream wool, high rise, Hollywood waist, dropped loops and turn ups:

Now I really cannot wait for the next London FL meet-up. I'm putting money aside for two of Rob's suits and several pairs of trousers. I'm thinking of the Double Breasted suit in Brown and the Cotton Club in blue.

Barry

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Marc Chevalier said:
A great suit, and it went to the right guy! :eusa_clap

You have an interesting choice to make: do you leave the buttons as they are, or do you add two more buttons to the chest, making it a 6-button suit?

I say this because 6-button double-breasted jackets seem, to most people, to be more '30s-'40s looking ... even though 4-button double-breasted jackets were also worn throughout the period. It's the same deal with pointy collared shirts: they seem quintessentially "golden era", though they were only one of many collar shapes worn back then.

I wish it were the whole suit - no pants. It goes to an excellent dry cleaner this week and I'm unsure whether to have the sleeves creased. Do I like that look?
Great suggestion on adding two buttons.
Now to find the right tie...
Thanks Marc!

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Scot...

YOU BUM! -- You outbid me. (Wasn't sure how I was going to explain it to my wife anyway, so I'm glad it went to you.) What color is it exactly? Is the basic color gray, brown, or a redish shade? This is a formal jacket, I presume?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Chocolatey-Mauvey-purpley Brown?

Outbid? Wow - you were a cheapskate! :)

You know, I still don't see "dinner jacket" or really formal jacket in it. Except the cuffs just have two buttons. It has what I think is a skeleton lining. The overall length is too long even for me at 6' 2" so it'll need a little tweaking. The seller said they looked high and low for matching pants with no luck.
If I make it to the QM event, this jacket will probably make the trip.

Until the next battle, my friend! ;)

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Story here...

I am doing my best NOT to buy anything for the next six months. (Not really a bet with my wife so much as a challenge.) But, this jacket just called out my name. I'd try it with a pair of black tuxedo pants, white wing-collar tux shirt and a black bow tie. See how it looks...

Yeah, figured I'd either get it for $9.99 (fate) or get sniped (fate). Either way, I'd be keeping my semi-vow to slow down.

Let me know if the tailor can't alter it to your satisfaction. I'd be happy to take it off your hands for a fair price. (I'm 6-4, so it might not fit me much better than you.)

ZF

mikepara

Practically Family
Salv said:
My new summer trousers from Rocacha - lightweight cream wool, high rise, Hollywood waist, dropped loops and turn ups:

Some great items lads.
But Salv thanks for putting up the link to Rocacha. Your Summer trousers look great.

Not sure I like the suit you bought though, seems like a really short jacket. Is it an optical illusion? Trousers look good especially since you had to mess with them.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
My opinion...

Scott,

I don't think this looks too long on you. Not sure I'd have your tailor mess with making it shorter. (Take a careful look at the back view.) But others who know vintage (Marc? Matt?) might give you a better opinion. I think I do agree with Marc about the buttons. I would have this changed to six.

Also, like the color combo with the khakis and the tie. Think I'd dress it up with trousers in either khaki or gray wool. Also, with that blue thread running through the patten, you should be able to get some great ties that work with it.

Finally, having seen this, I agree that it sure doesn't seem to be formal wear. (Glad, in that case, it went to you and not me.)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Show Some Linen, Scott!

Marc Chevalier said:
(If you really must, you can have the sleeves shortened... but no more than a 1/4 inch. Maybe even less than that.)

Marc, don't you like to show some cuff?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21