Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases....GUYS !

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
herringbonekid said:
you've seen the photographic evidence now Alan. please end this debate....boxers or lining ?

I stand corrected. They are plus-fours. Faulty memory!

That said, the only person who can truly settle this matter is the chap who saw the plus-fours in person and took those photos. We'd have to ask him if he could see, with his own eyes, how far the cotton "thing" went down the legs.

Since plus-fours are short, it's possible that the cotton "thing" was indeed meant to be a lining, and the chap mistook it for old-fashioned, long-legged boxer shorts. (It probably looks a lot like boxer shorts, even if it wasn't intended to be used as such.)

I don't mind being proved wrong. Finding out the truth is much more rewarding than holding on to a disproved idea.

Barry

Practically Family
Low quality photo but it's the best I can do right now. The jacket and tie are new.

hollywood2.jpg

Barry

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
OK Barry

NICE 1940's turnout :eusa_clap

SC ;)

PS Where have you worn these threads around DC
& what kind of comments/looks are you getting???

Barry

Practically Family
Guys,

Thanks.

I found this on E-bay. The size was just about right and I decided to go for it. I've lost about 12lbs or so since the NYC FL meet and have a ways to go. The chest and sleeves are perfect but my gut still seems to be a bit of an issue.

I've been wearing some '40s style/vintage clothing around town but I haven't worn this jacket yet. It's actually quite heavy compared to my other Hollywood jacket.

I get a lot of double-takes and what not. I think I've sent a whole army of guys over to Allen Edmonds to get chestnut and white spectators. A co-worker of of mine popped into my office a while back and said "I just love your hats and shoes. The 1940s style is great!" She totally made my day!

Other than that DC is hard sell. For example, I was in AE this weekend and was chatting with the salesman. I typically go either there or Nordstorms for shoes because they'll split a pair (I have two different sizes). I said that I had trouble finding shoes I like at Nordstorms because they seem to be selling mostly square toed shoes. He said "Ah yes, I suppose they do carry more fashionable shoes." lol

Barry

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Barry said:
I've been wearing some '40s style/vintage clothing around town but I haven't worn this jacket yet. It's actually quite heavy compared to my other Hollywood jacket.
Barry
Congratulations on the weight loss!
Perhaps this Hollywood is heavier like the ones I discovered a few weeks in a Boston vintage shop made from heavy east coast tweed and fully lined. They were from Boston men's stores long since gone.

You could craft a nice avatar from that pic.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Wow Barry, I totally dig your coat and tie! Looking very sharp!

As for me, my new purchases will be displayed as soon as I get photos taken... I just got a very nice pair of late 30's or early 40's cream gabardine pleated trousers off of ebay for $36. bucks (Shipping included) and also a very swell late 40's dark green gab shirt with flap pockets from a vintage shop in Hollywood (N.O.S.) for $22. I did good this week I must say! The cream trousers have me so happy!!! They're nice and wide legged at 22" hems! Very clean and they fit pretty good... in fact, they're a little long for me but, that's a first and I will have them taken up just a touch so I have less of a brake.

Photos will come soon!

=WR=

A new 30s robe. When i saw it i knew i had to have it. Grey wool with wonderful piping. Fits great. just in time for winter!

RoyalRobe1.jpg
RoyalRobe2.jpg

The vents on the chest are a particularly cool deco feature. The baroness reckons they reminded her of the grille on old VWs. Love the turned back cuffs, too.

RoyalRobe3.jpg
RoyalRobe4.jpg

a Royal Robe. I see ads for Royal Robes in the 30s issues of Apparel Arts.

RoyalRobe5.jpg

bk

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
A new 30s robe. When i saw it i knew i had to have it. Grey wool with wonderful piping. Fits great. just in time for winter!

RoyalRobe1.jpg

The vents on the chest are a particularly cool deco feature. The baroness reckons they reminded her of the grille on old VWs. Love the turned back cuffs, too.

a Royal Robe. I see ads for Royal Robes in the 30s issues of Apparel Arts.

bk

Is it itchy? I would be afraid of it itching. I have a black cardigan made from wool that I can't wear because of this. Also I have a pair of WWII sailor pants I can only wear if I have some sort of "lining". Thank goodness I saved all my cotton spandex pants from the 90's! lol

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Baron Kurtz said:
Vintage unclear:

Robinsons1.jpg

That type of shirt is from the mid to late 1950s. (I also recognize the label: Robinson's was a local Southern California department store, and it used that logo in the '50s.)

Your shirt was very popular with Madison Avenue advertising execs; almost a corporate uniform of sorts. (Back then, MAD magazine's illustrations of ad execs always showed them wearing that kind of shirt.) You can also see an ad exec wearing one -- along with black, heavy-framed glasses -- in the '50s film, Twelve Angry Men.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner