Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Mojito

One Too Many
My new flapper dress - on a cotton base, so French or Belgium. I love these dresses - so much sturdier than the chiffon beaded dresses of the same era that break your heart with their delicacy. I can't wait to get a photo of it that does it justice - it's covered in silver bugle beads, not just at the neck and hem embellishments...it needs to be lit to pick up the sparkle. The colour is lovely too...a bit towards burgundy...

A couple of very similar dresses have been on antiquedress.com recently.

Cerise.jpg

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
sweaterfront.jpg

sweaterback.jpg

Check out the teeth on that zipper!!!

LD

This looks like a hand knit cowichan or Mary Maxim sweater to me. Look at the construction. If it was knit in one piece in the round with no seams then it may be a cowichan sweater. If it was knit in pieces and put together with seams then it may be a Mary Maxim sweater.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Gorgeous flapper dress! Wow

I practically stole this on the bay last night

03ca_1.jpg

I think I'll put a lock of hair from my sweetie in it :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
BeBopBaby said:
This looks like a hand knit cowichan or Mary Maxim sweater to me. Look at the construction. If it was knit in one piece in the round with no seams then it may be a cowichan sweater. If it was knit in pieces and put together with seams then it may be a Mary Maxim sweater.

Its hand done, you can see some mistakes, and its constructed in pieces. Um, I dont knit, so is that good? Its a felas sweater and too wide at the shoulders so Im gonna take it in a bit with some tacking so I dont ruin the knit.

ShortClara, make sure your beau voluntarily give up that hair ;) I dont wanna read in the paper a red haired women being apprehended after coming after her husband with a pair of scisors in the night.....

LD

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I just posted this in the 'Vintage Knitting' thread the other day but I thought that I'd post it here too. For all you UK ladies this knitted dress from Phase Eight in the UK is a killer. I got mine a few weeks back and it's the closest thing to all of the lovely dresses I see in those vintage knit patterns from the 50's that I've seen in a long time.
If you click on this link its the one on the top row 2nd from the right the black knitted dresshttp://www.phase-eight.co.uk/miami.htm It's so lovely it has gored pleating on the skirt and fine ribbing on the waist so it really cinches in. It looks smashing with a belt!

ShortClara

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
ShortClara, make sure your beau voluntarily give up that hair ;) I dont wanna read in the paper a red haired women being apprehended after coming after her husband with a pair of scisors in the night..... LD

LD, I think I love you. I am loving your new sexy avatar, too.

:eek:fftopic: I have to confess, I can be a bad girl (but never been apprehended!) My best friend and I once did something bad to my husband for which he'll never forgive me. We stayed a night at her apartment - I slept with her and he, poor boy, got the couch. We stayed up until 2 or 3, to make sure he was good and asleep. The, we crawled out, took off his socks, and painted his toenails pink. He didn't see until the next morning when he went to put his shoes on and holy cow did we laugh!! It's still worth all the complaining, years later!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Amy Jeanne said:
DANG!! *droooooool* My husband would never go for a vintage stove, though :(

I have a hard enough time convincing him to let me get an art deco radio.

hehe.....they are large..but you can find them for cheap on places like craigslist...

My mom has that model stove..and to be honest..they are -way- better made...and insulated then any modern stove you could find, unless you are at pro level stuff...

so tell him its a -better- appliance...;)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Mojito said:
so much sturdier than the chiffon beaded dresses of the same era that break your heart with their delicacy.
Cerise.jpg

Chiffon dresses = many have broken my heart! The weight of the dress on the hanger was enough to tear it. I decided to sell them on ebay to someone who knows how to handle such material properly.

But this dress is perfection.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Here are some purchases from the vintage fair in Kensington (usually at Hammersmith):

50ssunglasses.jpg

I've been looking for sunglasses for months and now summer is over, I find them! These are possibly late 1940s or 1950s.

vanitycase.jpg

Bright red vanity case

rhinestonenecklace_2.jpg

1950s necklace

patentbag.jpg

The seller had reduced her handbags to £10 so I couldn't resist!

50sbangles-1.jpg

1950s bangles

I also got these heels from M&S:

msshoes.jpg

Another Sears book to add to my collection! I've got all of the 1940s-1950s now.

searsearly50s.jpg

I got these from the sale bin in Radio Days which is a fabulous little shop. It's well worth rummaging through as I found these bargains - the cardie was only £8 and the skirt was £10.

1950s knitted cardigan.

50ssweater.jpg

1950s charcoal grey swing skirt. This looks so much better on and fits like a dream!

50sswingskirt.jpg

I also got a pair of Vivien of Holloway high waisted wide leg denim jeans which are lovely.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
lyburnum said:
IMG_7350.jpg

Some of my recent purchases (I have more as I'm an obsessive shopper but these are some of my favorites!):
The dresses, bag and coat are all vintage, the other stuff is modern.

IMG_7352.jpg

50s painted dress
Clear umbrella with cherries on it
Red courts

IMG_7355.jpg

Black embroidered handbag

IMG_7357.jpg
IMG_7358.jpg

40s wool dress and coat with velvet detailing. The dress I've been eyeing up for about a month now, and decided on Monday just to get it. And I've been looking for a vintage coat like that for aggggeeees, so I was so happy it fitted!

Plus:
A fur muff
Black patent courts
Short white jacket

IMG_7173.jpg

Not a very good photo but me wearing some of it, the shoes were giving me blisters so I was putting plasters on :(

Like everybody else, I am a fan of the red coat! It looks beautiful.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mojito said:
My new flapper dress - on a cotton base, so French or Belgium. I love these dresses - so much sturdier than the chiffon beaded dresses of the same era that break your heart with their delicacy. I can't wait to get a photo of it that does it justice - it's covered in silver bugle beads, not just at the neck and hem embellishments...it needs to be lit to pick up the sparkle. The colour is lovely too...a bit towards burgundy...

A couple of very similar dresses have been on antiquedress.com recently.

Cerise.jpg

amazing dress! Do you wear most of your dresses or do you display, or both? and to what do you wear them? Just curious. I have a very curvaceous figure so can't wear those dresses at all, but they're lovely.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a repeat from the Overcoat thread.

My newest overcoat. An absolute perfect fit for me. It could have been made for me personally. Details regarding this purchase can be found here and here.

Perfect 1930's style with heavily padded shoulders; love the attached, but removable over-yoke of shiny black PERSIAN lamb. The coat buttons and snaps in front and is belted with a large silver tone buckle. Lined in rich black silk satin.

overcoat10a.jpg

overcoat10b.jpg

overcoat10c.jpg

overcoat10d.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
Thanks for the kind comments on the flapper dress - I'm particularly enamoured of its colour, as black so dominates my collection and I've never seen one in this precise shade.

Amy Jeanne, those glorious ruins of beaded chiffon dresses haunt me! I can't resist them, even though they're so shattered they'll never be wearable and can only be displayed gently. I bought one the other day as it was just so breathtakingly beautiful, even with all its flaws. My friends accuse me of running a retirement home for gorgeous wrecks. One day I'd like to use them for patterns and transfer the beads and sequins across, but for now they live in conservation boxes, stored flat - stable, but not doing too much.

Miss Bella Hell, I do wear many items from the collection - but usually only once or twice. Although I wear slips or body stockings and dress shields to protect as much as possible from contact with my skin, I always worry about the cleaning/hygeine issues as well as fragility and exposure to UV.

This one, however, is sturdy enough for a bit of dancing...probably the most gentle version of the Charleston ever done. It just needs tightening on some of the beads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred