Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Glad we got that out of the way! ;) Now these pics show recent purchases, namely 3 1930's dresses.
4034437585_f3261d71f4.jpg

4035162464_856f1ac634.jpg

This velvet dress doesn't actually have a belt, I am cheating by wearing modern brooch. The rest of the jewelery is modern too, bought in Accessorize. The bag is vintage, a Whiting & Davis. The dress doesn't have a label. Black is not great on me, but I got it for a good price, the fit is nice, so I hope to be able to make it work.

In terms of wearing a colour not so great on me here I score again with this embroidered net dress in a peach/ light salmon/ light pumpkin shade. This one fits even better. It didn't come with a slip so I am trying now to establish what colour I should wear underneath to make it more flattering. I posted more pics of it in the colour combination thread.
4035162426_38d38eaede.jpg

4035173888_e6bf2ff8e4_b.jpg

This other dress is worn with modern earrings and a modern bag. The dress has the best fit, but it is faded in parts, luckily it doesn't show much in artificial light. I love it.
4035162410_ef3876762a.jpg

4035173876_57e37d0ed3_b.jpg

4035173872_ae0c707096.jpg

I think the contrast is pretty nice and it warms up the coolness of the blue. The bag was bought in a boutique in Bath. The earrings were very cheap bought in some obscure shop in the sale. This dress doesn't have a label either.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Laquer/Makie/Raden comb

I had been looking for some ornametal combs to use when wearing kimonos, and found this in an antique shop in Kamakura, an historic city about 40 minutes by train from Tokyo, when I went there on family biz.
When I asked the storekeeper what she thought was the date for this, she replied, very certainly pre WWII, probably earlier than that, but likely the early 1900s at most, because the condition is very good. These style of combs are a must for traditional Japanese hairstyle and the some modern adaptations, but the market became small with the shorter hair women started to adopt in the '20-'30s.
It's hard to date the comb from the motif, since the motif design itself can be dated back a few hundred years. Obviously, the comb itself is not that old.

Wood comb, black laquer with the motifs in makie and raden, gold plate and mother of pearl inlays.
Front
09MakieCombFrontW.jpg

Back
09MakieCombBackW.jpg

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
crazydaisy said:

I don't know what you are saying because I think you look great in all three colours ;) I love the blue one and all the ruching and the neckline with the triangles, very original.

zendy

A-List Customer
I haven't purchased this yet but I've looked at it about 100 times. It's polyester, which is a fabric I try to stay away from unless it a thrifted top. But its just so cute. My style is more late 40's than 60's. What do y'all think, should I buy it?
il_430xN.93995883.jpg

lexismonkey

New in Town
Crazydaisy, that blue velvet gown is beautiful and looks fab on you! Wear it every day :D

I love "finds" threads.

So here is my bittersweet find, It is a gorgeous wedding gown that I really thought would fit me with some alterations. Alas, unless I get my bone structure altered somehow it is impossible. Gorgeous dress though!
il_fullxfull94242544.jpg

il_fullxfull94242620.jpg

il_fullxfull94242660.jpg

il_fullxfull94242745.jpg

Normally I'm not a "Frilly" type of person, but for some reason this gown really caught my eye.

But, as I said, it doesn't fit and can't be altered without destroying it.

I can make a similar gown... but to me it just wouldn't be the same.

It would be close to impossible to find lace and fabrics of this quality anyway.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
LaMedicine said:
makie and raden, gold plate and mother of pearl inlays.
Front
09MakieCombFrontW.jpg

Back
09MakieCombBackW.jpg

Stunning!
I have such a thing for Japanese hair ornaments at the moment and those are wonderful
I love the way that the decoration carries over onto the teeth of the comb, oooohhh lovely.
I am lying awake dreaming of these (not vintage but oh how pretty and all handmade!!) night after night at the moment, but I could never, ever afford them!!! :
k28.jpg

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I went to the CAFTCAD costume sale at the film studio today, and got some great vintage for ridiculously low prices:

Red 1940's shoes
CAFTCADPurchases002.jpg

Rayon print 1940's dress
CAFTCADPurchases003.jpg

Late 50's/early 60's satin dress ($15.00 dollars!!) (Scary red eye)
CAFTCADPurchases004.jpg

Repro fedora
CAFTCADPurchases006edit.jpg

I spent about $55.00 for the whole lot!

Inky

One Too Many
wow, ladies, the things you all find! i wish i had that luck kind of luck here!

But, thank goodness for etsy:

a velvet hat and velvet evening bag for holiday parties!

4040618553_2dde6cf201.jpg

4040618615_c716bff340.jpg

I don't know about you, but I know I feel much better after a dose of frivolous shopping lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy