Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
December said:
That coat is gorgeous Paula!!

Maybe this should go in the patterns thread but I just won this underwear pattern:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310206709380&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The seller states it as 1935 in the subtitle and 1940s in the title and main text body. Google has not proved fruitful either. No worries, I just buy things I like the look of :)

Nice. The hairstyle on the model looks like the 40's to me though (maybe the headline was a typo & should have been 1945?).

PrettyPaula

New in Town
Wow, that is some cute underwear, very flattering to i bet!

im in love with the coat i cant believe i won it for such a great price, and cheap postage to...

its got a lining tear but i can repair that easily :D

December

One of the Regulars
lolly_loisides said:
Nice. The hairstyle on the model looks like the 40's to me though (maybe the headline was a typo & should have been 1945?).

I hadn't even thought of looking at the hair, which is something I normally do a lot when trying to date patterns! I must be sleepy!

You're right, it is a very 40s hairstyle. I'm hoping that it's dated. I like to know these things.

I've just realised, the seller also says "I would judge this to be at the height of rationing...". If they knew the date, they would know if that was the case. Maybe it was a subtitle from another listing that they put in there by mistake.

Jirina

New in Town
Here's my latest purchase. Late 50's or early 60's mad men-inspired dress.
I found it at a flea market and it cost about 1€.

img00641p.jpg

Smuterella

One Too Many
hailey greenhat said:
A lovely dress, though "mad men-inspired" is quite incorrect as that dress was made well before the show was ever dreamed up.

I think she meant her purchase is what was "Mad Men inspired."

Most of my purchases are "Fedora Lounge inspired."

Darn this place!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
December said:
I've just realised, the seller also says "I would judge this to be at the height of rationing...". If they knew the date, they would know if that was the case. Maybe it was a subtitle from another listing that they put in there by mistake.

I doubt highly this is at the 'Height of Rationing' - it uses alot of fabric in the knicker leg and elastic which was difficult to get. I think this is either Pre War or Post, but not actually Wartime.

December

One of the Regulars
Miss Sis said:
I doubt highly this is at the 'Height of Rationing' - it uses alot of fabric in the knicker leg and elastic which was difficult to get. I think this is either Pre War or Post, but not actually Wartime.

Good point! I have to admit, my expertise isn't in the 30s and 40s, so I wouldn't have noticed that otherwise!

Though didn't rationing go on for quite a while after the war ended? Which would make this late 40s if it was post war?

I'm going to see my Grandma this afternoon so I'll ask her. She'll be able to give me a definite idea.

And Jirina- that dress is fantastic!!

Jirina

New in Town
hailey greenhat said:
A lovely dress, though "mad men-inspired" is quite incorrect as that dress was made well before the show was ever dreamed up.

Thank you all. :eek:

I meant that the dress is "mad men-style".
I'm still having problems with my english, so the messages could be misunderstood sometimes...
I'm trying to improve my english very hard!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think your English is stellar, Jirina.

As for this pattern,

Picture12.png

Miss Sis as right as usual. :) Thought Id place it prolly 39-42 because of her HUGE shoulders and hair style.

LD

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Well, I do make an effort to know about English fashions, restrictions etc. It's often very different to American or indeed other European fashions all going on at the same time. Actually, I love the differences. They're so interesting!

Rationing of clothing went on I think until the end of the 40s (1949, possibly? I'm not sure without checking) and other rationing till 1953.

LD, you'd know more about illustration than me but it tended to be very conservative on English patterns right through the War, from what I've seen.

Anyhoo, it's a nice pattern, December. Those knickers look lovely and comfy with those wide legs. Perfect for under summer frocks.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Jirina said:
Here's my latest purchase. Late 50's or early 60's mad men-inspired dress.
I found it at a flea market and it cost about 1€.

img00641p.jpg

Yeowsa! Jirina...if the producers ever need a gorgeous younger sister for the Joan Hollaway character...YOU ARE IT!!! Fabulous dress!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana