Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
December said:
That coat is gorgeous Paula!!

Maybe this should go in the patterns thread but I just won this underwear pattern:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310206709380&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The seller states it as 1935 in the subtitle and 1940s in the title and main text body. Google has not proved fruitful either. No worries, I just buy things I like the look of :)

My input might be a tad late but I would say it could very well be a wartime pattern! It looks it... You can soon find out with these ones by looking on the back at the faint writing at the bottom underneath the Diagram instructions saying....

'professional dressmakers are reminded that they must comply with the making of civillian clothing restriction order'

Mind you those are very wide knickers! A fab pattern you lucky girl- well done.

Hope this helps

Tups

Claireg

One of the Regulars
December said:
I completely agree with this! The best ones in my area are the little local charity shops. I find they're more likely to put out the old things that may be a little tatty or incomplete as they have a more limited supply. The bigger charities get so many donations, they can put out things that are near perfect. These tend to be the more modern things.

Its the same over here in NZ.
The other day i went into a dear little hospice shop and asked if they had sewing patterns.
The little old lady said..

" no dear, not at the moment. We had some but they were only all old fashioned ones".
I tried to explain that this was exactly what me and lots of people like me were after.
I think she thought i was mad!!
Bless!!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Miss Tuppence said:
My input might be a tad late but I would say it could very well be a wartime pattern! It looks it... You can soon find out with these ones by looking on the back at the faint writing at the bottom underneath the Diagram instructions saying....

'professional dressmakers are reminded that they must comply with the making of civillian clothing restriction order'

True - this will mean it is 1941 or after when the restrictions came into place. Before this from 39 - 41 there was a drive for 'Austerity' in clothes in cut and material used, but it was entirely voluntary.

Loren Taylor

New in Town
Jirina said:
Here's my latest purchase. Late 50's or early 60's mad men-inspired dress.
I found it at a flea market and it cost about 1€.

img00641p.jpg

Wow Jirina, you look stunning! Great find!

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Hi, ladies. I just got these two patterns today. I'm no sewer, but I LOVE these dresses. I might try my hand at them this summer, when I'm finished with school work. Does anyone know them enough to offer me any quick advice? As much as I love the stripes on the McCalls pattern, I can't see myself attempting anything but plain. And I love the shoulder detail on the green dress on the simplicity pattern!

Patterns021.jpg

Patterns016.jpg

SayCici

Practically Family
Those look like relatively advanced patterns for a new sewer! Start learning as soon as you can and work your way up before trying to tackle them - pillowcase or lounge pants, an apron, a skirt, then a few other projects before starting on dresses with set in sleeves, plackets, collars.. good luck!

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Well, I should have said I'm no advanced sewer! The instructions on both of these look pretty good. As long as instructions are complete...and I emphasize COMPLETE... I can usually figure it out. Oh... and I don't do button holes! It might take me ALL summer, but I'm willing to give it the old college try! And the McCall's patter actually has raglan sleeves. No setting in! Of course, it also buttons up the front. But that's what my sister is for! ;)

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Thank you, foofoogal! That's my lovely mother, when she was in high school... about 1944, I think. She was a real beauty. She lives next door to me now, age 82. She says she was after Veronica Lake hair in this photo!

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
Wire9Vintage said:
Hi, ladies. I just got these two patterns today. I'm no sewer, but I LOVE these dresses. I might try my hand at them this summer, when I'm finished with school work. Does anyone know them enough to offer me any quick advice? As much as I love the stripes on the McCalls pattern, I can't see myself attempting anything but plain. And I love the shoulder detail on the green dress on the simplicity pattern!

Patterns016.jpg

Love the shoulder detail on the green dress. I also only ever sew with plain material or something with a pattern does not have to go a certain way to look good. I tried doing a 1860s skirt in plaid and that'll never happen again!! (atleast aprons were the norm back then so it covers up my mistake!!)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
deadpandiva said:
il_430xN.129757526.jpg

I hope my hair is not to thick for this barette.
OMG! That barrette is darling! My hair is really thick and what I do when a clip is too small for my hair is to use a clip like the ones below that is the small color as my hair, then use the barrette through just the top layer that the big clip is holding.

300.JPG

December

One of the Regulars
Miss Tuppence said:

My pattern arrived yesterday and it does say this on the back!

Thanks for your input- it's so helpful.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
kamikat said:
OMG! That barrette is darling! My hair is really thick and what I do when a clip is too small for my hair is to use a clip like the ones below that is the small color as my hair, then use the barrette through just the top layer that the big clip is holding.

300.JPG
Yay! Thanks for the tip.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
1d36864d68c2.jpg

This pic is quite blurry. I am wondering what era this is. I think it's after 1941 but still 1940's but I don't know much about sweaters. I hope we get at least one more cool day so I can wear it before next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk