Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Miss Dottie said:
Helen that top is insanely glamorous! Would love to see pictures of it on you and in action. What do you plan on wearing it with?
I got it today, and it's wonderful! For a stylish, but laid-back look I will try wearing it with my beloved black, high waisted sailor pants, and a small, plain black top inside. Or, for a little sexy twist, with only a nice black bra!

Nashoba

One Too Many
RMS: aww that's sweet. Wouldn't it be nice if it worked that way?. If looking stunning could keep the boys home....

Thanks Daisy! There was another dress that I was pining for too a navy blue one with the most beautiful keyhole design and the top. The detailing was amazing, but the price went too high. I was surprised I got this one actually and for a fairly decent price. He won't be home until the fall but I keep hoping that if I start thinking ahead now that the summer will go by faster! :) Sad to plan an outfit so far in advance but I think that by the time he does come home it will be cool enough to wear my fall / winterish stuff which is the nicer side of my collection anyway. I don't have too many spring / summer dresses at this point but I've been buying up a bunch of day dress patterns so I'm working on changing that! I'm sure I'll change my choice of outfit another 6 times before he does come home....dangerous for me, good for ebay sellers lol.
Thanks, I'll pass him that word when he's safely back stateside.
And Daisy you're far too modest about your own taste. I see some of the stuff you post that you've won and I'm just in awe....

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Thanks so much for the compliments on the dress ladies! I'm really excited about it. I've had it on my watch list for weeks, and I just decided to give in to temptation last night! Oh well, I need more summer dresses anyway.

Daisy, I can't believe you've gone without Ebaying for 5 weeks! You poor thing, you were the queen of that! :) Where are you going on vacation (sorry if you posted it earlier, I always miss these sort of things)?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nashoba said:
RMS: aww that's sweet. Wouldn't it be nice if it worked that way?. If looking stunning could keep the boys home....

Thanks Daisy! There was another dress that I was pining for too a navy blue one with the most beautiful keyhole design and the top. The detailing was amazing, but the price went too high. I was surprised I got this one actually and for a fairly decent price. He won't be home until the fall but I keep hoping that if I start thinking ahead now that the summer will go by faster! :) Sad to plan an outfit so far in advance but I think that by the time he does come home it will be cool enough to wear my fall / winterish stuff which is the nicer side of my collection anyway. I don't have too many spring / summer dresses at this point but I've been buying up a bunch of day dress patterns so I'm working on changing that! I'm sure I'll change my choice of outfit another 6 times before he does come home....dangerous for me, good for ebay sellers lol.
Thanks, I'll pass him that word when he's safely back stateside.
And Daisy you're far too modest about your own taste. I see some of the stuff you post that you've won and I'm just in awe....

Thanks for your sweet compliments Nashoba!! I appreciate them:)

I'm glad to hear that your husband will be coming home in the fall. I wish you a very speedy summer, and I do hope that you have plenty of chances to speak with him while he is overseas. Bless him for his strength, and bless you for yours too. The things that you both are giving up in honor of our country and the people who live here are greatly appreciated!!
Remember everyone, and I know this is off topic, but visit Any Soldier for some great ways to support Nashoba's husband and the many other husbands, wives, brothers, sister, Mom's and Dad's who are putting their lives on the line everyday in the name of our country...

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
RetroModelSari that pattern will make a fantastic two-toned dress! Those are both very nice.

Much coveting of the summery dresses being posted! I love summer dresses.

I actually bought the dress below from timelessvixen the same day that the two-tone pink dress sold from her in May - remember the one everybody (including me!) was watching? I've gone through several pages looking for who won that pink dress and what it was like on arrival - was it you, Daisy, who got that one?

Anyway, I ended up winning this for a relatively reasonable price (to my pleasant surprise!) I sorta made the bid for fun, not expecting to win. But I was very nervous about it - I was new to the Lounge and had just started reading this thread and the concerns that have come up about that particular seller. It turned out to be a nice dress - no problems with the condition, and I'm excited to wear it to my sister's wedding rehearsal dinner/cocktail party this summer:

IMG_4503_2.jpg

This one I found at my local vintage store. I love them, they love me, I get deals. :) I love buying locally when I can:

IMG_4514_2.jpg

Jen

Shearer

Practically Family
Laughing Magpie, that first dress looks as if it were made for you! It's gorgeous! And I like the peekaboo white fabric on the second.

CourtneyJordan

New in Town
BegintheBeguine- Thank you so much for the compliments!

I had been so busy, but now that summer is here, I have nothing but free time on my hands, and time to be here. Yay! I have done much shopping, it is true. I will have to post more pictures asap.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I bought this 50s purse several months back on ebay for $1! As you can see, it was pretty dingy and stained, but otherwise in very good condition, with no missing beads.

Well, it sat on my dresser for all that time, and I was really unsure about how to clean it. Both the cobbler and the dry cleaner turned me away. I put it in a sink full of soapy water and got to work on it with a nail brush, my preferred method of scrubbing out stains. Then I got frustrated and added bleach, after spot testing it on the finish of the metal frame and one of the beads. All the stains came out and it turned out beautifully. The taffeta lining was very, very dirty and even that came out clean. No shrinkage or damage, and I only lost one bead along the way!

Before:
whitepurse.jpg

After:
whitepursenew.jpg

Anyway, I mostly just wanted to share that I was able to wash a vintage fabric purse in the sink (with bleach no less) with great results :)

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
KittyT said:
BeBop, I absolutely LOVE the bodice detail on this dress. How splendid!

Thanks! The bodice detail is what drew me to the dress in the first place. That and I love plaid cotton shirtwaist dresses. I'm more of a plaid kind of gal than floral. Here's a close up of the bodice:

53530026_tp.jpg

And I got the dress for $9.99! I love a good bargain. I think it went for so cheap because the pictures weren't the best - the dress form was too small for the dress and the dress didn't hang well from it. I think it will be a lot cuter in person.

And Kitty - Great job on the purse! Don't you just love it when you're able to save something with a little ingenuity? It's such a satisfying feeling.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
KittyT said:
I bought this 50s purse several months back on ebay for $1! As you can see, it was pretty dingy and stained, but otherwise in very good condition, with no missing beads.

Well, it sat on my dresser for all that time, and I was really unsure about how to clean it. Both the cobbler and the dry cleaner turned me away. I put it in a sink full of soapy water and got to work on it with a nail brush, my preferred method of scrubbing out stains. Then I got frustrated and added bleach, after spot testing it on the finish of the metal frame and one of the beads. All the stains came out and it turned out beautifully. The taffeta lining was very, very dirty and even that came out clean. No shrinkage or damage, and I only lost one bead along the way!

Before:
whitepurse.jpg

After:
whitepursenew.jpg

Anyway, I mostly just wanted to share that I was able to wash a vintage fabric purse in the sink (with bleach no less) with great results :)

That is very good to know-and I was wondering if that is a real Corde' purse? Congrats to you for bringing it back to life! :eusa_clap

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
RedHotRidinHood said:
That is very good to know-and I was wondering if that is a real Corde' purse? Congrats to you for bringing it back to life! :eusa_clap

I don't know, I don't know anything about Corde'. From the Corde purses I've seen, this is not the same. They are just plastic beads molded onto the fabric - there are tons of these little beaded 50s purses out there, though many have missing beads.

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I haven't ever been very successful at finding vintage women's clothing in the thrifts. I'm lucky to just find some nice vintage-inspired stuff once in a while. So imagine my surprise when I popped into my local goodwill and came out with these:

100_2186.jpg

The light blue one is a playsuit with a split skirt. The purple one is an ugly color, but I love the details- and it's quite flattering once it's on!

100_2185.jpg

The navy one is hard to see the details, but it's made of that silky pre-war rayon. I knew as soon as I touched it that I had a gem. The sheer red blouse is really nice also, though I don't normally wear red.

100_2188.jpg

These were all in a grab-bag for $2!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Don't know how many of my Japan purchases will be of interest here since I bought most toys and cute stuff. ;)

However, I did buy a ton of scarves.
22194913_l.jpg

And picked up this vintage blouse in Odaiba. The store had a ton of 70s clothes but I managed to find this earlier piece in my size. :D
22194916_l.jpg

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Sweet Leilani: Wow and all of that during one shopping-tour? :eek: I deeply anvy you. The blue playsuit is my favourite among this many, many gergous items! Great finds!!!

Pink Dahlia: That was a rather short vacation. I love the scarfs and the blouse!

Laughing Magpie: Cuuuuuuute dresses!!!!!!!!!!!

BeBop Baby: I love your purchase!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot