Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Josephine

One Too Many
Re: the Trixie dress. The material is light, so if you were hoping for a heavier material to "hold you in" (like my jeans do over my thinner cotton shorts) this isn't it. But the elastic is way stretchy, and the Medium just fit my 42-34-42-ish frame though I'd need a Large if I was staying at these measurements (I went down a size as I'm losing weight). I kept my bra on though, I know it says "The front bodice has the inner construction most akin to a bra to keep you in place." but if you are not in any way perky I think you'll need to keep the undergarment.

Smuterella, I would get a dress that fit your bust and let the elastic take care of your waist.

The Trashy Diva site has sizes for the Trixie dress:

GATHERED ELASTIC SIDES ALLOW 5-6 INCHES OF ADDITIONAL STRETCH IN BUST AND WAIST MEASUREMENTS ABOVE THOSE LISTED

BUST WAIST HIPS
XS 29"+ 23"+ ANY
S 32"+ 26"+ ANY
M 35"+ 29"+ ANY
L 38"+ 32"+ ANY

Sunny

One Too Many
Mary said:
This is awful! They are so pretty! I've also been looking at 30's shoes but not bid on any before. Could you explain again why they don't fit? Is this the case with all 30's shoes? I'd love to buy them. Will look into the sizes to see it they fit me.

Does any of you other gals have any tips what to think of if shopping for 30's shoes on the internet?!

The size on the box is 8 1/2 narrow. I know vintage sizes can be flakey, but I think this one is pretty accurate. There are two reasons they don't work for me: My feet are a half or full size too big, and my feet are not narrow. The first reason makes the second reason worse. I have several pairs of early 1940s 9 1/2 narrow shoes, and yes, they were tight when I got them. But because the length was right/a little long, I could wear them okay and stretched them out. Now they're among my favorite shoes. (And because the arch fits so well, I think I've realized I have a size 9 1/2 foot with very short toes, so 9's fit me well.)

These navy shoes have a long tapered toe. The insole length is at least 10 3/4"; for reference, in regular 1940s pumps I only need about 10 1/4". The extra length is because of the point of the toe, though. Like Miss Sis said, 1930s pointed-toe shoes are longer but that's not useable space.

The ball of the foot is still tight. It IS a narrow shoe. It feels very tight on me, but that's because my too-long foot is pushed further into the point than it was ever intended. I think they'll work for a true 8 or 8 1/2 narrow, although they'll probably need to stretch a little bit anyway. That's what I've done with my narrow shoes, and they're wonderful now. Modern medium widths feel loose and sloppy. Let me know if you think they'd work for you! I really want them to go where they're appreciated. Most 1930s shoes I find with these level of design are small or tiny, or very worn out.

In general for 1930s shoes, just watch the inside measurements more carefully. When I was bidding on my early 1940s shoes, I saw that they weren't round-toed. So I made sure that the insole length was 1/8" or 1/4" longer than the 10 1/4" that was my minimum. And I made sure that the insole width wasn't ridiculously narrow. I need to double check these blue ones, but in general 3" is a good width. I know some of mine are narrower. It depends on the shoe, too, and how flexible or hard the upper is. My mesh Naturalizers stretched out fairly soon, while the suede ones took a little longer.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
artful dodgette said:
been naughty lately..new job!..:) .here's a few!

lur1.jpg

the shoes were wrongly listed in the 80s section!!! bargain at 9 dollars!

rainbow.jpg

157744108_o1.jpg

this is my dream day dress. just need to take the waist in, i love the colour and print!

Oh my goodness !!!!Beautiful just beautiful, see I'm speechless........

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Red_Lipstick said:
Hello!

I just won this carry-all and I'm really happy :) It's missing the mirror but I thought maybe I can replace it somehow.
It's got a cigarette case (I don't smoke but who cares!), lipstick holder, bill clip and a compact. Now I have to learn how to put one of my lipsticks in that holder (I think I saw a thread about that).

carryall2li7.jpg

carryall1sw3.jpg

A lovely case and to have the lipstick case with it is a true bonus.

R

Red_Lipstick

Miss Neecerie said:
P.s. If you didn't know, its an Elgin american one. Can tell by the lovely gazelle pattern...one of theirs.

I didn't know, so thanks for the info! You see, it's my first vintage compact :p I knew it was American made, but that's all about it. Oh, the compact even comes with a little manual, called "Your new carryall- its an American beauty", I can't wait to read it! lol

It sold for just 5 pounds (I think that's a bit less than 10 USD) in the UK ebay. I'm living in Spain now, but my boyfriend is originally from London so I buy things in that ebay and have them sent to his family, who in turn ship it to me or bring it when they visit :p There isn't a vintage market in Spain, so I have to make do!

Oh, and no problem with posting it in that thread :)

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
ShrinkingViolet said:
Aw, man ... those popsicle coloured shoes, artful dodgette!! They truly are "Paradise Shoes".

Miss Sis and Mary, on the subject of 30s shoes ... I got a totally dreamy pair of 30s black faille evening shoes on eBay a while ago, but like you say they are way too narrow. They are about a US size 9-9 ½ in the lenght. I should probably post them in the classifieds in case someone would like to give them a new home. I haven't seen many repros that replicate that slightly flared 30s heel properly.
That's lovley. I have the same case but the outside is plane. I like that one alot more.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Josephine said:
But the elastic is way stretchy, and the Medium just fit my 42-34-42-ish frame though I'd need a Large if I was staying at these measurements
I am exactly the same size. When you say it "just fit", does that mean it's snug and shows lumps and bumps? Did you wear it with or without a girdle? Do you think the Large would be baggy or fit nicely?

Josephine

One Too Many
kamikat said:
I am exactly the same size. When you say it "just fit", does that mean it's snug and shows lumps and bumps? Did you wear it with or without a girdle? Do you think the Large would be baggy or fit nicely?

For my peace of mind at my current measurements I would want an L. The M was snug, I was barely able to get the zipper up and it showed a few lumps. I did not have a girdle on under it, and the elastic was basically at it's "Oh hell no, we're not stretching any further" stage. I do not thing the large would be baggy, as we're at the 38+5 inches a large could fit. Hope that helps! I wasn't in the M long, I didn't want to strain it. :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I picked up this Stop Staring dress on Ebay. Just a plain black cocktail dress, and the fabric has little stretch, so hopefully that'll be a good thing. It's never been worn, so probably a steal at $30.

e8cf_1.JPG

f3f8_1.JPG

R

Red_Lipstick

KittyT said:
I picked up this Stop Staring dress on Ebay. Just a plain black cocktail dress, and the fabric has little stretch, so hopefully that'll be a good thing. It's never been worn, so probably a steal at $30.

e8cf_1.JPG

f3f8_1.JPG

That dress looks lovely! And I think it was a very good price :)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Darhling said:
Allabouteve - here you go :)

DSC02065.jpg

Gorgeous, it really suits you Darhling especially with that red hair ribbon. :)

Thanks for posting the pic.

Can I ask Darhling what your measurements are if the Small was not quite tight enough for you (it looks terrific nonetheless) if you don't want to broadcast your statistics then PM me or if you'd prefer not to at all then don't worry :) I'm just trying to figure out which size to buy myself!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
AllaboutEve said:
Gorgeous, it really suits you Darhling especially with that red hair ribbon. :)

Thanks for posting the pic.

Can I ask Darhling what your measurements are if the Small was not quite tight enough for you (it looks terrific nonetheless) if you don't want to broadcast your statistics then PM me or if you'd prefer not to at all then don't worry :) I'm just trying to figure out which size to buy myself!

thank you!

I am 36 measured over the bust (34DD in bra size), 27/28 in my waist and 36 in my hips

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy