Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Thank you SayCiCi, Laura Chase and All About Eve! I swear, it feels magical when I put them on!

Both are by Giraudon and the workmanship is outstanding: http://www.giraudonny.com
The yellow ones were a trade with a merchant in Palo Alto, CA.
Here's the website where the spats were on sale. Laura Chase, they have Chie Miharas on this site. http://www.pedshoes.com

I have a second job and took some of the earnings to treat myself. :eek: :) To justify the spending, I take extremely good care of my shoes - wipe them down after wearing, letting them air out overnight before putting them back in their boxes, and having a cobbler put a thin layer of rubber on the leather sole. The ones below, also by Giraudon, were purchased 6-years ago, and are just like new.
IMG_1357.jpg

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Lily Powers said:
Thank you SayCiCi, Laura Chase and All About Eve! I swear, it feels magical when I put them on!

Both are by Giraudon and the workmanship is outstanding: http://www.giraudonny.com
The yellow ones were a trade with a merchant in Palo Alto, CA.
Here's the website where the spats were on sale. Laura Chase, they have Chie Miharas on this site. http://www.pedshoes.com

I have a second job and took some of the earnings to treat myself. :eek: :) To justify the spending, I take extremely good care of my shoes - wipe them down after wearing, letting them air out overnight before putting them back in their boxes, and having a cobbler put a thin layer of rubber on the leather sole. The ones below, also by Giraudon, were purchased 6-years ago, and are just like new.
IMG_1357.jpg

Thanks for the links. I also love your Nora Charles quote in your sig.:)

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
Amazing 50's Dress..

but an absolute horrible buying decision! I'm in a real pickle, I bought this dress off of Etsy and the seller stated that the measurements were a 39" Bust, 36" Waist and 41" Hips. When I received the dress I was so excited because it was perfect sizing for me. I put the dress on and to my disbelief the buttons wouldn't even reach :( I felt like crying but my husband was in the house...I then took the dress off and the measurements that I took with the dress laying flat are 18" from armpit to armpit and 14" waist. Could someone please help me, I know I'm not going to be able to return the dress for refund so I am going to have to re-sell it but I need to know if someone could tell me what the sizing is for the flat measurements.

Here's the dress and not to mention I loved it so much I forked out $40 for it! Well worth the $$$ it's in impeccable condition and the material feels like taffeta and the trim is black velvet. I could just kick myself 20 times over :rage: I'll stick to buying shoes and accessories online from now on [huh]

Vintage50sGinghamDress_101.jpg

Bunny

New in Town
Awww!! cassylynn that's terrible! I'm so sorry that happened to you! That is one of the reasons I'm afraid to buy vintage online. I know how to take proper measurements. It's everyone else's measurments that I'm not sure about.

All you have to do to get the actual measurments of the dress is double the number you take of the dress when measured flat.

So and 18" bust flat is 36" all around.

And 14" waist flat is 28" all around.

I hope that helps. And I hope you can sell your dress for a decent price and make some or all of your money back.

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
Bunny said:
Awww!! cassylynn that's terrible! I'm so sorry that happened to you! That is one of the reasons I'm afraid to buy vintage online. I know how to take proper measurement. It's everyone else's measurments that I'm not sure about.

All you have to do to get the actual measurments of the dress is double the number you take of the dress when measured flat.

So and 18" bust flat is 36" all around.

And 14" waist flat is 28" all around.

I hope that helps. And I hope you can sell your dress for a decent price and make some or all of your money back.

Thank you so much Bunny. Your a lifesaver! :D I guess I could possibly buy myself a corset and do the whole waist cinching thing but then again my waist isn't really the problem lol lol lol

cassylynn said:
but an absolute horrible buying decision! I'm in a real pickle, I bought this dress off of Etsy and the seller stated that the measurements were a 39" Bust, 36" Waist and 41" Hips. When I received the dress I was so excited because it was perfect sizing for me. I put the dress on and to my disbelief the buttons wouldn't even reach :( I felt like crying but my husband was in the house...I then took the dress off and the measurements that I took with the dress laying flat are 18" from armpit to armpit and 14" waist. Could someone please help me, I know I'm not going to be able to return the dress for refund so I am going to have to re-sell it but I need to know if someone could tell me what the sizing is for the flat measurements.

Here's the dress and not to mention I loved it so much I forked out $40 for it! Well worth the $$$ it's in impeccable condition and the material feels like taffeta and the trim is black velvet. I could just kick myself 20 times over :rage: I'll stick to buying shoes and accessories online from now on [huh]

Vintage50sGinghamDress_101.jpg

If the seller measured wrong, I would at least contact them and let them know. Maybe they will let you return it due to their inaccuracy. It wouldn't hurt to try.

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
CherryRed said:
If the seller measured wrong, I would at least contact them and let them know. Maybe they will let you return it due to their inaccuracy. It wouldn't hurt to try.

Actually I have but I have not heard a peep out of her. I'll give her a little longer maybe she is just busy...Thanks!

Lorena B

Practically Family
i heart vintage said:
I got myself a pair of these yesterday. I'm amazed out how comfortable they are. Next on the list is a pair of red ones. =]

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg
Oh I am smitten by them!!!
Yes, where did you buy them from?

SayCici

Practically Family
cassylynn said:
Actually I have but I have not heard a peep out of her. I'll give her a little longer maybe she is just busy...Thanks!
I recognize the dress/photo set up, and she is pretty nice! Even if she won't take a return on the dress, she did represent it inaccurately, which should be good for some sort of refund, and then you can re-sell it.

I think some people must have a different way of measuring sometimes, because it's happened to me before as well.

Lorrel Mae

Familiar Face
cassylynn said:
I put the dress on and to my disbelief the buttons wouldn't even reach :(

That is my biggest fear (as a seller)!!

I hope the lady responds and does something for you!!

And Kudos for you to say something!! I wish I knew what the people who purchased from me thought!

Sandi

Crafty Doll

Familiar Face
Inky
They are super comfy! I think I'm going to snatch up a pair of neutral ones too. That's the great thing about living in California. We don't have to put our lovely summer shoes and clothes away for the winter!

I got them at Olvera Street. I think the lady ripped me off though, but I don't feel too bad because these wedges sell for a lot more elsewhere. Meh, mabye I'm just trying to make myself feel better, ha.

NicknNora
Thanks!

Lorena B
So am I! They're really cute and comfy as well. I see that you live in the UK. If you're willing to pay more for them online, they sell the exact same ones at www.mybabyjo.com for $85. Just thought I might suggest it, in case you're interested. ;)

Crafty Doll

Familiar Face
Lily Powers said:
I've tried very hard to be a good girl. I've stayed out of the stores, tried my darndest not to shop on the internet, but these just cried out to me. In fact, I think they called me by name and I just couldn't resist.:eek:

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

I'm in love with the yellow ones! Do you by any chance know the name/style of the shoe?

Inky

One Too Many
i heart vintage said:
Inky
They are super comfy! I think I'm going to snatch up a pair of neutral ones too. That's the great thing about living in California. We don't have to put our lovely summer shoes and clothes away for the winter!

I got them at Olvera Street. I think the lady ripped me off though, but I don't feel too bad because these wedges sell for a lot more elsewhere. Meh, mabye I'm just trying to make myself feel better, ha.

We were just downtown a couple weeks ago (federal jury duty for me) but we ate at Phillippe's and got to Olvera street too late so most of the vendors were closed/closing. Must plan a trip again because I want a hand-tooled purse to go with my shoes!

Emer

One of the Regulars
For the ears and not the eyes!

I can't really "show" my latest purchase, as I just bought a CD with old fashioned radio shows on it! lol I bought (almost) the entire series of "My Favorite Husband" by Lucille Ball. I'm so excited for it to get here! My husband was listening to a sample of the show and he was cracking up! :eusa_clap At least it won't bother him to hear it all day!

Slytherin

New in Town
fuzzylizzie said:
A thrift store find!

swisstyle%20002.jpg

swisstyle%20003.jpg

It a wool 1940s vest with great embroidery. The label is "Swiss Style" and it has the label of a British department store. I bought it in the US, so it's a multi-national vest!
I've just bought a swiss style dirndl in a flea market... very cute !

Crafty Doll

Familiar Face
Inky said:
We were just downtown a couple weeks ago (federal jury duty for me) but we ate at Phillippe's and got to Olvera street too late so most of the vendors were closed/closing. Must plan a trip again because I want a hand-tooled purse to go with my shoes!

Aww, a little too late. Well, at least you have something to look forward to next time. Yes, I was drooling over the beautiful hand-tooled purses as well! I kept having to tell myself, "one at a time... one at a time..." lol

texasgirl

One Too Many
New Coat- yes it's 98 today, but this will be perfect for Mason City, Iowa show in Sept!

il_fullxfull_85682997.jpg

il_fullxfull_85682946.jpg

New Vintage Inspired Shoes
7769-763417-p.jpg

A new Navy purse
navypurse.jpg

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
Lorrel Mae said:
That is my biggest fear (as a seller)!!

I hope the lady responds and does something for you!!

And Kudos for you to say something!! I wish I knew what the people who purchased from me thought!

Sandi

She has gotten back to me and has offered a refund :D I would not hesitate to refer her business to others and that is something that I feel good about! I have also sold vintage clothing before as well and I know how uneasy it can be when it comes to measurements. I truly am thankful for sellers who are willing to work issues out besides I would only expect the same from another as I would give someone else.

Thanks for all the concerns at least I don't feel so bad now.

Crafty Doll

Familiar Face
Not vintage but I purchased these basic black patent leather pumps. The toe is nice and round and they are the perfect height for my taste, when it comes to 'high' heels.

IMG_0600.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24