Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Hahaha, no, the skirt is just something from my closet. I was wearing ratty old, rather high-waisted gardening trousers when the postman delivered, and of course I couldn't wait to start playing with my new toy. Off come the trousers and on goes the first skirt that will work for a demo photo.
Being a fan of BurlyQ (by which I mean the classic art form as opposed to the current over-the-top raunchfests that seem to be spawning in every 'artsy' city), I'll happily accept your comparison; particularly as there is an upcoming costumed art show for which I hope I'll have this baby broken in. (Guess it's a good thing I didn't put butter on this toasted cinnamon raisin bread, eh?)

Blondie

Practically Family
"Being a fan of BurlyQ (by which I mean the classic art form as opposed to the current over-the-top raunchfests that seem to be spawning in every 'artsy' city)"
amen sister !

jsands

New in Town
My folks flew down from Pennsylvania last week, and we went on several day trips. One of them was to a quaint little town in Salado, Tx. At one of the antique shops that line the main street, I found this and fell in love. I, too, am not good at dating. I took a picture of the tag (albeit not a great one), and hoped perhaps someone might point me in the right date direction. It says "union made in USA, GB 142017". The seal is unreadable.

Now, I just need to find a nice dress to go with it! :)

S8304253.jpg

S8304260.jpg

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
No expertise on dates here doll, sorry. But it's a sweet hat, for sure. I've a collection of assorted 30s - 50s hats, including a couple similar, I just don't have the right hair to wear them. :( Or maybe it's the panache I'm lacking.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I bought this lovely chemise, BUT, the silk is just SO brittle in the crotch where the button-holes are... What would you do to reinforce it? I'm thinking perhaps of putting a layer of cotton on the inside of the piece between the legs:

cm-2123.1L.jpg

cm-2123.6L.jpg

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
ThesFlishThngs - I LOVE your corset. I'm slightly obsessed with them, but the idea of a real more than just fashion corset scares me. I'm working my way up to it. Your is adorable! Where did you find it?

jsands - I'm with ThesFlishThngs, not the hair to wear it, but that would look so sweet with the right dress!

I'm zero help on the mending front, Laura Chase but those pics make it look wonderfully silky.

I was reaaaaally bad today at my favorite local vintage shop. I usually stick to the goodwill to avoid days like today.

My new hat, with box...
Iphone030.jpg

and the jacket to my new suit!
Iphone034-1.jpg

the skirt's waist was all torn under the waist band, so I feel a lot less bad about moving it to fit my not-22 inch waist.

And yes, I had to put them on together...
Iphone027.jpg

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Ooh SugarKitten, now that's a hat and jacket I'd wear in a heartbeat! Yummy! Either you have a figure that would make a corset almost a wasted investment, or that jacket is impeccably tailored. (Or most likely, both. ;) )

I've been wearing a Rago 21 cincher off and on for a while, and really liking the posture and support and basic abdominal awareness it gives me, so figured it was time to move on up, as they say. My bosom doesn't seem sorted to an all-over corset, plus I'm very short-waisted, so longline foundation garments bite into my armpits something awful. That's why this underbust appealed to me, and it was on special at Orchard Corset. They really seem to have a nice selection of fun garments, and quick, friendly service. For instance, my order, via Google check-out, got buggered up and didn't go through, so I abandoned the endeavor for several hours. Second time around, everything worked. Monday morning I had an email that my order had shipped, followed within the hour by a phone call from them, asking about my double order, and did I mean to do that? I like companies that keep an eye on such things.
Anyway, it's been easy to figure out with the instructions that came along with, and I'm doing my daily breaking-in wear.
Today I had it on for an hour.
4406171899_e87c46f168_b.jpg

Smuterella

One Too Many
jsands said:
My folks flew down from Pennsylvania last week, and we went on several day trips. One of them was to a quaint little town in Salado, Tx. At one of the antique shops that line the main street, I found this and fell in love. I, too, am not good at dating. I took a picture of the tag (albeit not a great one), and hoped perhaps someone might point me in the right date direction. It says "union made in USA, GB 142017". The seal is unreadable.

Thats lovely, it says early-mid 50s to me, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
I was hoping to make the corset a "waisted" investment ThesFlishThngs!
Thank you both on the jacket. The skirt is plain, and flared, and I wish it fit as-is, and wasn't damaged, but no such luck.

Truth is, I've got a pretty small waist, but it looks more dramatic because I'm got mile-wide swimmer's shoulders. I was born with a '40's silhouette.

I've BEEN to Orchard Corset - and they are magic! I used to pass the place all the time going out, and it looks so dubious on the outside (though the neighborhood has gotten SO cute), but inside? It's Ollivander's! The woman is magic. She asked two questions, felt me up in a very professional manner, and handed me the *perfect* bra. I was going to sheepishly ask about waist-training corsets last weekend, but they were closed for Purim.

I got this one when I got a bra there, but I keep finding ways it pokes through shirts, and I'll admit, I like my foundation garments *snug*. This one is yours? I want to try an authentic one... (not to offend any practitioners) but the whole 'woman with the 13-inch waist" thing scares me to bits.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Must be a dangerous temptation to visit the joint in the flesh! It's hard enough to exercise self-control with push-of-a-button online shopping... ;)
Yep, that's the one I got. I don't think I'd ever obsess to the point of 13 inches (yikes!), expecting to be delightfully delighted if the day ever comes I can lace mine up to its plenty-small 24.
I tell you what, it sure is an instant recipe to celebrating womanhood. Hopefully my selection is subtle enough to be worn out and about without too much of a costume effect.

Eta: Be sure to rush back here with a full report when you finally give in to temptation. ;)
And wow, I just saw the price on your link and reckon I must have got extra lucky. It was on special for $69.00 last week. Just goes to show it was meant to be, eh?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Cici, I'm always letting hems down on things, since rarely is anything long enough!

Just a tip, if you get a line where you let it down, sponging with white vinegar helps to disguise it somewhat, although it won't get rid of it completely.

Enjoy your suit.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Photos, ladies! I'd love to see that suit and architectural hat brought to life. By the way, they rather go together, don't they? I can't decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing that we (mostly) live too far from each other to share wardrobes.

Miss Jay

New in Town
I ordered two pairs of shoes today:
arisallenred.jpg
and
arisallenbowling2.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement, oh ye of the 'should I could I' thread :)
(BTW I always intended to buy the red ones, only had doubts about the others). Postage for two is only slightly more than for one!

MJrules

One of the Regulars
I can't sleep...

A very pretty pastel woven purse. I'm just fantasizing about all the outfits I can wear it with...
Funny story about it, it was listed twice and I never took the bait. Only when the seller didn't relist, then I couldn't stop thinking about it. I contacted her and after a quick BIN, the darling thing is mine! Shows that it never hurts to ask...
eBayISAPI.dll

And this 1952 petticoat pattern. I'm going to whip these up in taffeta and net, in every color I can find! I can never seem to find an affordable vintage one.
eBayISAPI.dll

Also some lovely shoes I haven't gotten around to photographing yet.

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
MJrules said:
A very pretty pastel woven purse. I'm just fantasizing about all the outfits I can wear it with...
Funny story about it, it was listed twice and I never took the bait. Only when the seller didn't relist, then I couldn't stop thinking about it. I contacted her and after a quick BIN, the darling thing is mine! Shows that it never hurts to ask...
eBayISAPI.dll

That's pretty cool!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot