Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your sailor uniforms!

Cobden

Practically Family
eniksleestack said:
On the subject of older US Navy uniforms, I was wondering if anyone could identify the origin and/ or era that this belt buckle was made:

usn2.jpg

usn1.jpg

I found it in a box of my grandmother's. I know her father was in the Navy during World War One (before he joined the Army!), but I can't be sure if this was his. Nor can I find any information on this particular type of buckle -- there aren't any markings other than the anchor on front and I'm not even sure if it's US Navy issue. It is fairly heavy and solid, and has a certain patina of age so I know it's not too modern. But other than those bits I really have no clue.

What size is it? Could it be a private purchase buckle for the webbing trouser belts?

Estevan

One of the Regulars
What a youngster

Here´s my sailor uniform circa 1982!

Sailoryoung.jpg

And again in 1996...

Dresswhites.jpg

Reenlisting 1989...

scan0038-1.jpg

At my desk on the USS Saipan (LHA-2) 1991

stevesaipan.jpg

Crossing in front of some famous rock 1992.....

SteveGibralter-1.jpg

Receiving my first award 1985...What a scruffy looking sailor....

USSOrion-2.jpg

sherri bomb

New in Town
Crackerjack dating?

My fiance and I recently became owners of a U.S Navy "Black" crackerjack uniform, but we are having trouble dating it. From what I've learned the uniform hasn't changed much over the years so it makes it difficult. We know that DSA numbers are post ww2 era and DLA numbers are post Vietnam, but what about DA numbers? The last number od the DA contract are -62. Which leads us to believe that the piece is from 1962?

Tunic:
DSC03472.jpg
[/IMG]
We believe it reads: DA-36-243-QM(CTM???4-C 62)

Pants:
DSC03474.jpg
[/IMG]
They are a bit harder to read bc of the name written inside.

Any help would be great!

navyguyAl

New in Town
WWII Square rig

Gateway of the World Southampton????? That is too Mercantile Marine for my liking... try good old Pompey (I am Gosport born and bred)

Mike1973 said:
Great War or maybe early twenties?

navyguyAl

New in Town
USN Uniform bits

Ebay can sometimes be the cheapest although there are plenty of Surplus Stores in the States that do good Mail Order.

Mr. Rover said:
I just got a vintage winter navy sailor uniform today! The jumper is so form-fitting I could barely get my shoulders through but once it is on, it fits like it was made for me! This may be one of the coolest things I've picked up so far. I've got some pictures of tags so if anyone can tell me when it is from, I would greatly appreciate it!

Also, does anyone know where I can buy the white dixie cap and neckerchief? I've been looking all over the net and the only place I can find the neckerchief is WWII Impressions.

navyguyAl

New in Town
Easy Ebay has plenty in larger sizes which are usually cheaper than those in smaller.

Hondo said:
Looks great dude :eusa_clap how I envy you thin guys, I've been looking for a sailor suit like yours to honor my dad who was in the Navy but being a rather large guy you just can't find the right size, I'm not really fat, tall, 6 ft 2" pants size is 36 and chest is 48, really is tough to find, any one know of a link for large sizes, do let me know, grateful, carry on ;)

navyguyAl

New in Town
RN uniforms in UK

Very easy to get RN kit in UK try Sabre Sales in Southsea as they are superb with cheap prices and excellent Mail Order.

See the links on http://www.lanra.co.uk

Cobden said:
Might have to give it a go sometime; got a flannel dicky and a 1930's tiddly white top; just need to faff about with the silk and perhaps a hat...

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
fortworthgal said:
Here I am, front and center in my WAVES uniform at a recent swing dance:

2ylv19l.jpg

My tie is incorrect, still looking for an original.

You look great! I recognize Southside Preservation Hall in the background! Did you go again this year?

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Oh I love everyone's uniforms they are wonderful. I especially adore the WAVE uniforms, I so want one. This is a picture of my wonderful boyfriend his squadron took these for their winging. They even took the ridgid supports out of their covers to make them look period. I think it's wonderful, but them again I'm rather partial.
Paulswinging015.jpg

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Nautical Eye Candy

This was my dad's WWII issue uniform. My mom "whittled" it down in size. Photo was taken in about 1958. I was vintage when vintage wasn't cool.

navyguyAl

New in Town
Gosport

Just received a message that said you have replied to my last one stating you have a friend who has a flat near HMS Sultan... unfortunately when I clicked on the link although it brings me to this Forum it does not show your message so am responding this way.

I had a house in Cambridge Road which is as near as you can get to HMS Sultan for my last year in the Navy;)

tempestbella42 said:
:rolleyes: Matloes and bootnecks everywhere!!!!!

Peacoat

Bartender
Sherri Bomb: Your question was about dating a Navy uniform. You posted the label as: DA-36-243-QM(CTM???4-C 62) This is consistent with a 1962 contract because of the "C 62" nomenclature and because the DA contract number was used in 1962.

corchel1942

New in Town
I finally got my Royal Navy FAA uniform completed(almost). Had a hard time matching the tunic to some trousers. Tunic is made of "doeskin" and wanted to match trousers. Sabre Sales in the UK came through for me. Also have 5A in the same rank, but need original wings for the FAA impression.

navyguyAl

New in Town
Sabre Sales

Good old Sabre Sales and Nick. Always comes up trumps when most needed.

corchel1942 said:
I finally got my Royal Navy FAA uniform completed(almost). Had a hard time matching the tunic to some trousers. Tunic is made of "doeskin" and wanted to match trousers. Sabre Sales in the UK came through for me. Also have 5A in the same rank, but need original wings for the FAA impression.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Fletch said:
Boy, except for the updated hair on the bareheaded gal, I was almost fooled! Couple of squared-away jackies, there.

I gotta dig out my nav av greens for you folks and snap some pix.

That "bareheaded gal" is me, and I'd like to add, in my defense, that I am wearing a late 20s dress with bobbed hair ;)

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Some pretty bad shots...

But here's my WAVES uniform. We're aboard the USS Hornet sometime last year. Not really any great photos, but you can see the top of my overcoat in the last photo.

DSC01737.jpg

My husband and I. I am giving the guy taking the picture a death-glare for saying something "smart" -- regretfully spoiling the picture in the process.

DSC01739.jpg

DSC01749.jpg

I'm wearing my WAVES overcoat over my uniform, but obviously it's hard to see it ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner