Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Sewing Room!

texasgirl

One Too Many
I looked but couldn't find a thread about this. If I missed it, please merge.

After years of sewing on the dining room table, or anywear else I could find, I have gotten my own sewing room!

We moved into a new house that had a children's retreat. Since we have no kids, I quickly claimed the space and have been busy getting everything organized. It's so nice to have all my supplies together and organized. As a librarian, I LOVE organization-lol. I spent this past weekend working on a new quilt. I'll post pictures when it's finished :)

IMG_2495.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

So who else has a sewing room? Or even just the area you use, or any space saving/organizing ideas?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So jealous I could spit!

I have to cut stuff out on the dining room table (which is better than our last house, where I had to cut on the stove top!), and have no space to leave things out!
My office/closet/guest room is pretty crowded already, impossible to have a designated sewing space.
That looks like a lovely space to create in!

Honey Doll

Practically Family
That has got to be the tidiest sewing room I have ever seen!!! Mine looks like a bomb went off in it..... no pics, I'd be too embarassed to show what a sewing slob I am by comparison!

Darling sewing room by the way!

Honey Doll

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
gorgous space!
I've got a studio but I don't have any pics of it... and I was just over there! :eusa_doh:
But at home the dining room has been taken over to be the sewing room. Not cleaned for picture. hehe.
sewingroom.jpg

Snookie

Practically Family
Congrats on the new sewing room, TexasGirl! It looks beautiful.

I've been working on redecorating my sewing room for almost a year now, and it's STILL not done! I'll decorate for a few weeks, then sew for a few weeks, then decorate again. It is finally functional, even if it's not perfect yet. I was very picky about making sure I had enough storage space - one of the happier moments in my life was when my overlock machine slid perfectly into the cubby next to the desk!

In addition to this sewing corner, I've also got a tall bookcase for patterns, sewing books and cone thread, a collapsible cutting table that hides behind the closet door, and my fabric stash/more patterns are stored in bins in another room. I try to use the vertical space on the walls to maximize storage - it can look overwhelming in terms of decoration, but is very practical in terms of maximizing storage space.

2697093655_76d8b7ce26.jpg

Miss Sis

One Too Many
How lovely to have a dedicated space for all that lovely sewing.

When we moved into the house we rent now, I was thrilled thinking the smallest bedroom would be perfect for sewing in.

Not only is is not my sewing roon (too full of all sorts of junk), I am sitting next to my sewing machine which is on the dining room table as I type!

I do put it away, occassionally.........

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
OMG! I can't believe how tidy those rooms are. I'm getting ready for class now, but I'll take some pics of my disaster of a room when I get home.

Sunny

One Too Many
My sewing room is my bedroom in disguise.

Ironing board and iron [nearly] blocking the French doors. Card table for the machine and/or smaller cutting jobs. Vanity stool to sit on. Bed for big cutting projects (with cardboard mat on top), or just for a place to stick pattern pieces and instructions.

Cousin playing Call of Duty 4 on my computer not always included; often exchanged for a brother playing ditto. Old Time Radio - "I Love a Mystery" in this case - also playing on said computer; player visible on second monitor.

DSC01047.jpg

Nothing sewing-related stays out when I'm not sewing. The machine goes on a shelf in the closet, the ironing board, iron, and card table go in the laundry room. My miscellaneous stuff goes in either my little sewing box or the bottom drawer of my desk. And things like the plastic mat for use with a rotary cutter, or the cardboard mat for regular cutting, go behind the bookcase and in the front closet, respectively.

It's a lot of work just to set things up. I'm tired just thinking about it.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
texasgirl said:
I still have my mother in law's sewing basket. It's just like the one sitting against your wall. It must have been well organized when she used it, but now it's just a jumble of spools and needles and cute little Chinese pin cushions inside. But every once in a while, when I need to sew on a button, it comes in very handy. :)

texasgirl

One Too Many
Thank you everyone! Yes I am loving it! I know, I am a little bit of a neat freak, it just calms me to know everything is in the proper location. ;)

I love seeing everyone's space! Thanks for posting. Maybe I will get inspired to try and make some clothing, right now it's just quilts. I drool over all the dresses in the other thread on a daily basis :)

Terrific sewing rooms ladies! I just recently painted and installed some shelves in mine. It's a tiny back room off my kitchen but at least it is mine. I will take some pics later and let you see the before and afters. It is pretty messy right now though as it has collected a lot of mess while I was redoing my kitchen.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Honey Doll said:
That has got to be the tidiest sewing room I have ever seen!!! Mine looks like a bomb went off in it..... no pics, I'd be too embarassed to show what a sewing slob I am by comparison!

Darling sewing room by the way!

Honey Doll

I was thinking the exact same thing :) Texasgirl I love it

Ok, here is mine. It is in no way tidy right now. It has been the catch all for the clutter and supplies from my kitchen project. But you can get an idea. These two walls are on opposite sides. The area under the window is for cutting, pinning, and also my doll restoration work. The other side is my sewing table. I had to lighten the second photo because of the bright windows. I have before pictures somewhere but can't find them. I completely stripped this room of its old painted over wallpaper, redid the ceiling and installed the shelves.
sewingrooma1.jpg

sewingrooma2.jpg

This is my favorite thing in the room. A vintage office chair in pink and gray. It is sooooooo comfortable for sewing!! (You can see the old walls in the back ground)
officechair.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
Oh, I like the turquoise and pink! Very pretty! I need a chair. I've just got a spare one in there. I had a white rolling office chair with arms, but it fell apart. Garden Ridge is good for some things, but not for office chairs apparently.

texasgirl

One Too Many
I bought the desk at Garden Ridge. Looks like there is one in Greenville. I don't know if they still have it, I bought it in 04 I think it was.
http://www.gardenridge.com/default.asp

The only other place I've seen it is in the Ballard Designs catalog. And it's quite a bit higher, $499. I think I paid $150. I think it would be pretty easy to make something similar though if you had someone who does that sort of thing. Let me know if you want me to take some close-up shots :)

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/Furni.../7693?path=1,2,1443,1482,1692&iProductID=7693

As I was typing this, I remembered seeing something similar at Target. Looks like they have one too. $240 with free shipping!
http://www.target.com/Madison-Trest...ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k:trestle desk&page=1

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda