Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Sewing Room!

Sunny

One Too Many
CherryRed said:
This is my favorite thing in the room. A vintage office chair in pink and gray. It is sooooooo comfortable for sewing!! (You can see the old walls in the back ground)
officechair.jpg
No wonder it's your favorite thing! I adore that chair!

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
I just have a corner in our master bed room. I will have to take pictures and post later.

Fabric stash in cardboard boxes along with scrap fabric in another box. Vintage patterns in plastic tubs.

My corner is way messer than anybodies. I think I might join in that spring cleaning.lol :eek:

Sunny

One Too Many
Wow, I really like your space. The airplane decor is great. I really like the directed lamps, too; that's something I need to keep in mind, for whenever I can have a workspace that's not completely temporary. I hate big overhead lights, and even when I use them, I'll often get awkward shadows.

I assume that's your Singer on the table. Did you make the table yourself? It's pretty impressive.

Interesting that you have a Necchi. How do you like it? Do you My mother bought one, with table/cabinet, through a newspaper ad in the late 1970s. I learned to sew on it and used it myself until something died on it a few years ago. We still have it, though, and I'm wondering if it's worth repairing. It's cast iron, no external belts. It sure was a powerful machine.

fishmeok said:
Hope you don't mind if I post here- this is my workspace. My main axe is a 1920's Singer 78-3 industrial, and there are 7 other vintage machines stashed around the room. My main non-leather machine is a 1940's Necchi BU. I was lucky enough to find an old drafting table that I use as my main prep area, with another tabletop over it for cutting. I have a cabinet for most of my stuff, but as you can see I'm overflowing a bit. The computer is also in here, along with the desk, file cabinet, and printer. It's a little crowded, messy, and eclectic...

I'm teaching myslef how to make leather jackets, it's slow going, but fun.
Cheers
Mark

DSCN4209.jpg

DSCN4210.jpg

DSCN4212.jpg

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
Here it is. My studio come guest room.
Nothing is really purpose built, just a collection of old furniture I have from over the years. My mothers old desk, Nana's old sewing machine and my favorite thread tin I've had since I was a child. I've got a great striped sofa bed from Ikea for the guests, pin boards of inspiration and my girls artwork, along with my favorite Hello Kitty iPod dock to listen to Ella while I sew.:)

studiomosaic1.jpg

studiomosaic2.jpg

Lillemor

One Too Many
I can't sew to save my life but I've already told hub that when the boys move out between 10-14 years time, I want a hobby room. You ladies have given me such great inpiration. I think I want to get a simple, cheap sewing machine and just experiment with it. That's usually the best way for me to learn any skill.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
CherryRed said:
Ok, here is mine. It is in no way tidy right now. It has been the catch all for the clutter and supplies from my kitchen project. But you can get an idea. These two walls are on opposite sides. The area under the window is for cutting, pinning, and also my doll restoration work. The other side is my sewing table. I had to lighten the second photo because of the bright windows. I have before pictures somewhere but can't find them. I completely stripped this room of its old painted over wallpaper, redid the ceiling and installed the shelves.
sewingrooma1.jpg

This is my favorite thing in the room. A vintage office chair in pink and gray. It is sooooooo comfortable for sewing!! (You can see the old walls in the back ground)
officechair.jpg

I love that chair.

And how genius to do a pegboard. Please forgive me if I steal that genius idea!

Lorena B

Practically Family
wow, i am amazed, i generally do my sewing on top of my bed or floor, i am used to it so i dont mind but what i do mind is that where i live (so far as i am moving on Saturday) there is carpet in the floor and is beige colour so you can guess, after my sewing sessions the floor is full of little threads and believe me .... they are sooo hard to get rid of.

Rachael

A-List Customer
Lorena B,
I feel your pain! previous to my current residence, I was in a very small walk-up. The 'living room' doubled as dining area, sewing corner, sleeping room, and living space. I sewed on one corner of my dining table and kept all of my sundries in either rubbermaid totes or my sideboard.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Wow, i am oh so jealous. The best thing that's happened to me lately is that i aquired a long work table that i use for a dining table mostly,but that is where i cut everything out.Before that i used the floor which is not as fun as it sounds:) It is so much work to have to drag everything out and put it all away again, as so many of you have already mentioned. I DO have this small room off my bedroom that currently I use as A dressing room, that i have been tempted to convert to a sewing room, as it already has some good built in shelves..but what would i do with my shoes???[huh]

Josephine

One Too Many
fishmeok said:
Hope you don't mind if I post here.... I was lucky enough to find an old drafting table that I use as my main prep area...

Mark, I think your drafting table is just like the one my father had. I think he might have gotten his when they were tossing them out of his old school (his is not as wide though). I had it for the longest time, and now my brother has it.

fishmeok

Vendor
Sunny said:
Wow, I really like your space. The airplane decor is great. I really like the directed lamps, too; that's something I need to keep in mind, for whenever I can have a workspace that's not completely temporary. I hate big overhead lights, and even when I use them, I'll often get awkward shadows.

I assume that's your Singer on the table. Did you make the table yourself? It's pretty impressive.

Interesting that you have a Necchi. How do you like it? Do you My mother bought one, with table/cabinet, through a newspaper ad in the late 1970s. I learned to sew on it and used it myself until something died on it a few years ago. We still have it, though, and I'm wondering if it's worth repairing. It's cast iron, no external belts. It sure was a powerful machine.

I was an aircraft mechanic for most of my life- I like airplanes...

The table for the Singer is a standard industrial table- very heavy with a built in clutch motor and pedal. You could fit several different machine heads in it.

The Necchi is my favorite for non-jacket stuff, I get a lot of use out of it. If you have one of the pre-'70's machines it would be worth fixing, but it's something you should do yourself as you can find them for less than $100 if you look hard enough. There is a good Necchi group on Yahoo! groups if you need to find out more about them. Sounds like you have a Supernova or similar.
Cheers
Mark

fishmeok

Vendor
Josephine said:
Mark, I think your drafting table is just like the one my father had. I think he might have gotten his when they were tossing them out of his old school (his is not as wide though). I had it for the longest time, and now my brother has it.

That drafting table was a great find- got it at a garage sale at a townhome of all places. I use it as my main workspace and have absolutely refused to get rid of it through three moves.
Cheers
Mark

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Lillemor said:
I can't sew to save my life but I've already told hub that when the boys move out between 10-14 years time, I want a hobby room. You ladies have given me such great inpiration. I think I want to get a simple, cheap sewing machine and just experiment with it. That's usually the best way for me to learn any skill.

I am right there with you!
I have been looking around for a sewing machine (inexpensive) just to wet my feet and get used to it. I have used one before.. but for the life od me.. cant remember how to use it!

U LADIES have Inspired me!
I now have to think of a place to call "mine" I might have to sweet talk the hubby into building me my own rooM!

Sunny

One Too Many
fishmeok said:
I was an aircraft mechanic for most of my life- I like airplanes...

The table for the Singer is a standard industrial table- very heavy with a built in clutch motor and pedal. You could fit several different machine heads in it.

The Necchi is my favorite for non-jacket stuff, I get a lot of use out of it. If you have one of the pre-'70's machines it would be worth fixing, but it's something you should do yourself as you can find them for less than $100 if you look hard enough. There is a good Necchi group on Yahoo! groups if you need to find out more about them. Sounds like you have a Supernova or similar.
Cheers
Mark
Ah! Not a mechanic, but I work for an aeronautics company, as my father before me.

That is very helpful to know about the Necchi. I'll check out that group. Thanks!

Sunny

One Too Many
Actually, Mark, it looks like I have a Lydia, 1962-71. It's almost identical to this, except that the thread is on the top instead of the base. It also came with a cabinet, so if there ever was an... extender or whatever it's long gone. I've never seen a model name or number on it (it doesn't say "Lydia" like some others), so I'll have to dig it out.

V-Sweetheart

New in Town
Ok, now you have shamed me. I have a sewing room I don't use. I used to sew with Miss 1929 and a bunch of the girls in Oakland, CA. Here without anyone to dress for and sew with, I am just not so motivated. It is just so much more inspiring to see what others are creating and gossip about the boys. Well perhaps this will inspire me to get off my girdled rear end and work on something new. By the way loved the vintage sewing stool. tre comfy and attractive!

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
I kept telling myself that I'd clean this room and then take pictures, but I'm always in the middle of something. This is an upstairs room in a tiny Victorian cottage, so there isn't a lot of wall space due to the slope of the roofline. I've had to find storage that fits under the slope, and wall space is very limited.

But the room more than makes up for that shortcoming in that it is full of light, and because there are trees outside the windows, you get the feeling of being in a treehouse!

Going around the room in a circle:

studio%20001.jpg

Fabric and notions are stored in this old baby changing table.

studio%20002.jpg

Part of my vintage clothing collection is in this room.

studio%20003.jpg

My new machine sits on top of my husband's grandmother's old Kenmore.

studio%20004.jpg

My worktable looks more like a junk table!

studio%20005.jpg

A shot in the closet, just for the pattern lovers. This is actually my online store inventory.

This is a fun thread. Thanks for the chance to share!
Lizzie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari