Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Swirl dresses!

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Thanks Mentha and Zenda :)
Here's another one:
3746936430_ee7dd49602.jpg

The waist is too high but I loved the pattern too much. Too bad the bodice ripped on my vacation.

HoneysuckleRose

New in Town
Sizing...

I was just wondering if any of you Swirl coinoisseurs have any idea of the sort of sizes Swirls were made in? The ones I've spotted only ever seem to have around a 40" bust which would be miles too big for me! I'm nearer the 32" mark and that's being generous! lol
Do you think it would it be a better idea for me to focus more on the waist size?

Thanks!

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
HoneysuckleRose said:
I was just wondering if any of you Swirl coinoisseurs have any idea of the sort of sizes Swirls were made in? The ones I've spotted only ever seem to have around a 40" bust which would be miles too big for me! I'm nearer the 32" mark and that's being generous! lol
Do you think it would it be a better idea for me to focus more on the waist size?

Thanks!
The smallest I've seen is a 34-36 bust but they're really pretty adjustable so I think that might fit you ok. The waist is even more adjustable than the bust because it's a wrap. Definitely don't buy the large and extra large ones like you mentioned (I seem to see those more often lately) since you'll be swimming in it. I little bit large should work ok though. This one is pretty large on me in the bust:
3527442618_9269fda309.jpg

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Audrey Horne said:
The smallest I've seen is a 34-36 bust but they're really pretty adjustable so I think that might fit you ok. The waist is even more adjustable than the bust because it's a wrap. Definitely don't buy the large and extra large ones like you mentioned (I seem to see those more often lately) since you'll be swimming in it. I little bit large should work ok though. This one is pretty large on me in the bust:
3527442618_9269fda309.jpg

You look absolutly beautiful!!!

MidnightBlue

New in Town
Hi all,

First post from me :D so why not start by saying, I NEED a Swirl dress! Fleur, I just fell in love with your latest swirl photo when I saw it, the pattern and shape are lovely.

There is a blue striped wrap dress on etsy at the moment which isn't a swirl, but is in that style. How flexible are they do you think going bigger on the bust? ie, measurements say 36" closed but I'm anywhere between 38-40 depending on the bra (also waist closed is 28" and I'm more 30/31 depending on pies!).

If that wouldn't work has anyone seen any good examples lately they can point me in the right direction of (that you're not hankering after yourself obviously!)

Keri -x-

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
MidnightBlue said:
*snip*How flexible are they do you think going bigger on the bust? ie, measurements say 36" closed but I'm anywhere between 38-40 depending on the bra (also waist closed is 28" and I'm more 30/31 depending on pies!).
Welcome Keri!
I wouldn't risk buying anything more than 2 inches smaller than your measurements in the waist and maybe 1 inch in bust. The flowered pattern that I posted a bit above is slightly too small for me. Because of this the wrap in the back doesn't cover as much (although it certainly still covers completely!). This became a problem if there was a huge gust of wind though. As far as the bust, it seemed to work fine 1 inch smaller, but then it ended up ripping even though it didn't feel or look snug when I wore it. Also, how tall are you? The smaller dress ended up being a bit too short in the waist for me too. It sits near the bottom of my rib cage. Just something to consider. I have regularly been seeing larger sizes on ebay so you might check there.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Welcome from me too Keri! Agreed with everything Audrey says - with a wrap you certainly have two inches + leeway but I wouldn't recommend it because you get less coverage and goodness knows we live in a windy country! lol I'd be more inclined to err on the sider of larger - it's much better to tie it up tighter in my opinion. But not too much bigger.

There are so many Swirl and Swirl-a-likes around that I wouldn't jump for the first one you see, something in a Large size will pop up sooner rather than later. I was saying to fellow Lounger Smuterella last night (who, by the way, is catching me up with Swirls - she has 5!) about how I didn't regret starting this thread or banging on about Swirls in my blog, because although now there are tons more ladies searching for them, Swirl must have sold hundreds of thousands of dresses in the 40s-60s because there are almost always one or more on eBay. I still get bargains! ;)

Edited for spelingz

MidnightBlue

New in Town
Thank you ladies. I shall resist ... for now :)

I'm 5'7 so do occasionally have the issue of a waistband being to high. I will keep an eye out for one of the larger sizes. Aaaah patience is a virtue and all that!

Keri -x-

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
HoneysuckleRose said:

Thanks!

I missed this question but agree with Audrey - not sure I've seen anything smaller than a 34-36, but you'd definitely get away with a 34, and just wrap it tighter. Keep you eyes peeled!

HoneysuckleRose

New in Town
Thanks for the response and advice Fleur, I'm sure something will turn up sooner or later! :)

Fleur De Guerre said:
PS, nice to have another Darkplace fan on the Lounge! :eek:fftopic:

Well, as us Darkplace fans know, it was the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap... ;)

mentha

Familiar Face
Yay, my red gingham wrappy came in today, way sooner than expected! As soon as I get round to trying it, I'll make pics and put them here :D

zendy

A-List Customer
:eek: There is a NWT swirl for $149.00 on the bay right now. :eek: $149.00! It is beautiful. if I only had that kind of money to spend willy nilly on a cotton dress.

Lenore

Practically Family
zendy said:
:eek: There is a NWT swirl for $149.00 on the bay right now. :eek: $149.00! It is beautiful. if I only had that kind of money to spend willy nilly on a cotton dress.

I've been watching it myself. As I can't afford to get it now, I'm a glutton for punishment. I'm content to stare.. and to dream. :(

mentha

Familiar Face
And here's my dress, this time with me in it ;) Yay! It still smells old, I still have to do a small handwash [no way this thing is going into the washing machine!] but it fits really great :D I totally love it!

IMG_0033.JPG

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
HoneysuckleRose said:

Thanks!

According to a Swirl ad I have from 1953, they came in sizes 10-20. Back in those days, a 10 was very small, so they did come in small sizes.

Lizzie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21