Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Swirl dresses!

Lenore

Practically Family
My first Swirl

Darn you ladies. I went an bought my first swirl dress.

I was wondering if you guys could help me date it. The seller said late 40's but I'm going to guess late 50's-early 60's. What do y'all think? :D

swirlbutt-1245458192-42309.jpg

swirlbutt-1245458192-42311.jpg

swirlbutt-1245458199-42317.jpg

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
It may well have been taken up, have a look when you get it. If not, it's definitely a late 50s/early 60s one, all mine from then are that sort of length. It's a lovely one, I kept looking at it!

This is me today, in a late 40s (I think) or very early 50s one, oddly enough, you can see the longer length, and the 6 gore skirt isn't nearly as full as my later ones.

3735801233_3fc99fcfe5.jpg

3736595002_b83482013b.jpg

There's one on eBay right now that is not listed as a Swirl, but definitely is: it has idential latticework on the neck and pockets.

Lenore

Practically Family
Fleur,

Brilliant dress! I especially like the color.

I kept being drawn back to the butterfly dress myself. Eventually, I said that's enough, broke down, and bought it. I absolutely love the neckline. I'm counting the days until it gets here. I'll make sure I get a picture once it does. :)

P.S. Thanks for answering re: your lipstick color. It's now on my to-get list. (As well as some hot sticks! That would make 8 quid, then?) :D

mentha

Familiar Face
I've really been taken in by the lovely Swirls! I want one! Or possibly more ;) The only worry I have is the fit when one buys it online. I have fairly long upper legs, compared to the rest of me and I certainly don't want my knees showing [big scar on the right one and of course past-knee-length is much prettier anyway, haha!]. Is it a risk worth taking? Or are there sufficient patterns around I could use to make a version to size?

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
How tall are you mentha? I am 5'11 and only three out of my 9 Swirls come below my knee, it depends on when they come from as the late 50s and 60s ones are much shorter, but much easier to find! Of course most sellers give the length, they're usually around the 39" (I pass on these)- 42" length but my longer ones are in the 45"-47" range.

mentha

Familiar Face
I'm 1,75m [sorry, Dutch, so metric system ;)] and waist-knee length is about 65-70cm [off the top of my head], how much inches is that?

[edit]So apparently I'm 5'9 and waist-knee would be about 25"-27" but I can't for the life of me remember what my shoulder-waist length is. I know I have it written down somewhere but where...?

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
So you're 5'9", so still pretty tall, if you want a longer than knee-length Swirl you might have to look longer, and aim for ones that are at least 42"/ 107cm long, but preferably longer!

Edit: You edited while I was writing that!

mentha

Familiar Face
Know what, I think I'm just going to go ahead and buy the dress I've got my eye on [too cute] and see what happens, haha! If it doesn't work out, it's going back online :p

[edit again]Gee, you're fast! Okay, I'm not the slowest either ;)
So I've got my eye on a 41" dress and it's just too cute for words. Perhaps I could [if necessary] lengthen it a bit with some lace or something ;)

mentha

Familiar Face
Well then, I hope I'm lucky ;)
I just bought it, waaah! I hope the seller replies quickly with the final shipping costs [US-Holland, luckily the Euro's doing pretty okay ;)] so I can pay and then the real waiting starts...

zendy

A-List Customer
How cute is that Audrey! and Mentha, thank you for buying that. I kept looking at it but also worrying about fit. I instead bought a Vogue pattern that is identical so I can make my own. We can be twins lol

mentha

Familiar Face
zendy said:
How cute is that Audrey! and Mentha, thank you for buying that. I kept looking at it but also worrying about fit. I instead bought a Vogue pattern that is identical so I can make my own. We can be twins lol

Audrey, that dress is adorable!
Zendy, be sure to post a picture of your version!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21