Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Tommy

One of the Regulars
Harness racing, anyone?

Unfortunately, this one has some condition issues. It came safely through a gentle soak and now needs a careful ironing but there is staining/stiffness on the lining at the wide tip that I haven't yet been able to budge. There are also a few tiny holes in the lining and one on the front by one of the horses. But how could I resist a purple and yellow horse tie?

View attachment 15082

My philosphy on vintage clothing is - if I like it, and see myself using it/wearing it even with condition issues, I'll consider purchasing it. That looks like a tie that's wearable, and who cares but you if it works, right? Hey, and if it doesn't clean up the way you want, move on to the next one...

Harness racing, anyone?

Unfortunately, this one has some condition issues. It came safely through a gentle soak and now needs a careful ironing but there is staining/stiffness on the lining at the wide tip that I haven't yet been able to budge. There are also a few tiny holes in the lining and one on the front by one of the horses. But how could I resist a purple and yellow horse tie?

View attachment 15082

Nice find! Looks knot planned too. I would wear it like that.

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
Nice find! Looks knot planned too. I would wear it like that.

Thanks! What is "knot planned"?

My philosphy on vintage clothing is - if I like it, and see myself using it/wearing it even with condition issues, I'll consider purchasing it. That looks like a tie that's wearable, and who cares but you if it works, right? Hey, and if it doesn't clean up the way you want, move on to the next one...

Excellent philosophy.
I don't wear men's clothing but for some reason I am still drawn to it.

I like the purple and yellow one. Pretty outrageous colors. Definitely looks knot planned, I'll defer to one of the tie gurus to explain in depth, but basically it's designed so that lighter purple color in the middle will make a knot that contrasts with the rest hanging down front.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
I like the purple and yellow one. Pretty outrageous colors. Definitely looks knot planned, I'll defer to one of the tie gurus to explain in depth, but basically it's designed so that lighter purple color in the middle will make a knot that contrasts with the rest hanging down front.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Oh, I get it! Thanks.

Tommy

One of the Regulars
Today's tie in the field: Merritt handpainted Red Orchids:

001-14.jpg

detail shot:

007-9.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They are not padded and make a much smaller tie knot. Some earlier one sare also not lined at the tip. It almost looks selfmade at first sight. There is a small strip of interlining in the middle of these ties. That's all.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
When did they start making the ties padded? I have a tie clip from my grandfather that hates being on modern ties. I was wondering if padding had something to do with the difficulty of putting it on modern ties. I don't have the problem with my homemade tie, which is unpadded.

Flat Foot Floey

Seventies I guess. I have some narrow sixties ties that are still unlined. Maybe they coexisted a few years and didn't change all at once.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Then I guess this tie clip I have from my grandfather is from the 50's or 60's? It's about 2'' wide.

A funny thing about padded ties, why did they start? I don't see any difference between padded and not padded. The non padded seems more wind resistant, as it seems to blow around less.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

They make a bigger knot. Fashion changes. There is no particular reason I guess.
I can't tell you about the age of your tie bar but it should be easy for you to find a few vintage ties and try it out.

Boinciel

New in Town
Oddly enough, I have a single necktie with the usual of untipped/machine stitched ends construction as 20s/30s ties with bulky lining in it. It's marked as a resilient necktie, and seems to have the original wool interlining still in it. It seemed like it had been slimmed down in the 1960s for a more "mod" look, but I managed to fix the front tip of the tie to regain the flare it originally had. Is it possible that the padding was added later, when it was slimmed down?

Papperskatt

Practically Family
A funny thing about padded ties, why did they start? I don't see any difference between padded and not padded. The non padded seems more wind resistant, as it seems to blow around less.
I've been thinking about this a bit today as I found some of my modern ties that I've been looking for. I think that you're on the right track with the wind resistance.

As most people was using a waistcoat back then, the wind wasn't really a problem for the tie. When men stopped using waistcoats the ties started to blow around and therefore they needed heavier, i.e. padded, ties.

This is, of course, just a theory of mine. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy