Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Okay, Hollyvogue tie at last (one that I could quickly locate). Simple but loud. It measures 4" wide and a whopping 54" inches looong! Feels/looks like rayon satin, but could be acetate or acetate/rayon.

th_CCF02262010_00000.jpg
th_CCF02262010_00001.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
No tags on this one. Perfect condition with solid construction. Approx. 48x4".
The picture does not capture the wonderful purple/blue shimmer to the material.

1267198236.jpg

Annixter

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:

It's close enough to Saint Patrick's Day to show a few of my vintage green ties (none of which have a St. Patrick theme). All of the ones here are from the late '20s to the early '50s, shown in no particular order. The majority are from the '30s.

MCgreenvintageties005.jpg

The one in the middle is great. The colors, lines, and trick of the eye look to it are a good combination.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:

It's close enough to Saint Patrick's Day to show a few of my vintage green ties (none of which have a St. Patrick theme). All of the ones here are from the late '20s to the early '50s, shown in no particular order. The majority are from the '30s.

I'd show a few shamrocks that I have, but I have my ties all packed up. I'm moving out east next week. Maybe I can get them out by that green day...lol

D Yizz

New in Town
Hello all. First of all, as this is my first post, I see fit introducing myself. (Since there is no Off Topic forum to do that.) I stumbled upon these great forums while searching for sharp timeless dress styling. I consider myself somewhat of a sartorialist, and enjoy classic, stylish dress from all times. My business-formal dress styling picks up from several eras, mainly the 30's, 60's and early 80's, while keeping it actual and modern. I also enjoy very much antique vehicles, books and architecture, especially art deco, of which I see a whole lot here in my country. (Puerto Rico) I will be posting in the various threads I have seen that particularly fit my interests.

Now, going on topic, for the past few months, the current tie styling I have been using is somewhat slimmer than the traditional 3.5-3.75" ties of the past few years. Since my favorite type of suit is the slim kind with 2 button/nipped waist with medium to slim lapels, it was natural that I would adopt this kind of ties. Bear in mind that I enjoy 2.5" ties too, but since people in my area of work are not too fashion/style conscious (I'm a lawyer) the 3" kind is the perfect balance between too traditional and too fashion forward (or is it fashion backwards?) Anyways, last week I remembered I always loved the ties my father used during the early 80s, which is, exactly the time he was around the same age I am now. I went to his closet and they were still there! I picked up 4 early 80's 3" ties, all with the distinctive designer logo on the tip. Today, I wore one to court and I received many compliments. Let's see how it goes. I know these are not the traditional ties you consider "classic", but to me, they are. They look stylish and timeless.

One thing I noticed, though, is that all these ties are about 3-4" shorter than my current ties. Does anyone know a particular reason for this? I prefer them like that because I am of the shorter kind (5'3") and it gives me the liberty of selecting different kinds of knots, instead of being tied (pun intended) to double windsors.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Feraud said:
When I saw the extra-long tag I thought the same thing.
I wish it still was...

One thing I noticed, though, is that all these ties are about 3-4" shorter than my current ties. Does anyone know a particular reason for this? I prefer them like that because I am of the shorter kind (5'3") and it gives me the liberty of selecting different kinds of knots, instead of being tied (pun intended) to double windsors.

People have gotten fatter and taller in the US, and many of them now think that over the belt is proper for a tie as they see all the thin and short men doing it because those shorter men don't have access to appropriate length ties, so they demand longer ties still.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
D Yizz said:

First of all, welcome to you over there in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. Second, and in addition to what cptjeff wrote, tie lengths have a history of getting longer over the decades. One reason is that when jackets starting buttoning lower just after WWII, more of the necktie could be seen, so one didn't want a shorter length as was previously the style. Secondly, when thick knots became popular, tie length naturally increased so that there would be more available material. So, if you need shorter ties, I suggest you look for some vintage ones. You'll find some great designs, and will be wearing pieces of history!

D Yizz said:
Hello all. First of all, as this is my first post, I see fit introducing myself. (Since there is no Off Topic forum to do that.) I stumbled upon these great forums while searching for sharp timeless dress styling.

Actually, if you go to the Observation Bar section there is a thread titled:
"New Ladies and Gents Step Forward" that is the one to make your general ntroductions. Another thread that is similar is called something like "How Did You Find the Fedora Lounge?" which gets the nod sometimes.

Have fun!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Widebrim said:
One reason is that when jackets starting buttoning lower just after WWII, more of the necktie could be seen, so one didn't want a shorter length as was previously the style. Secondly, when thick knots became popular, tie length naturally increased so that there would be more available material.

.... And thirdly, a lot of men stopped wearing vests with their suits. (Advances in central heating had something to do with this.) Shorter ties had made sense when they'd been covered up by vests.

D Yizz

New in Town
Thank you all for your replies. I hadn't noticed the "Observation bar", since its apparently a members exclusive section, and I was too eager to post my first thread! My thoughts regarding the length of ties was similar to what cptjeff wrote, regarding the growing "girth" of people, which I also think is the reason for the camping tent size dress shirts we see nowadays. Even a shorter person with a huge belly needs a longer tie to get to the correct place, or, as many of you have said, PAST the correct place.

Regarding widebrim's last post, I can only wonder the reaction of the average person to someone wearing a "dark lavender" tie with rhinestone butterflies. I'm sure today he would be called names, even worse in '52-'53!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24