Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage half-belts

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Forgive the ignorance, but does the halfbelt have a function in the jacket construction, if there are no pleats in the back panel?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Really fine thread. I was thinking that Chris, from Aerial Star, who's recently been asking Loungers for design ideas, should really get a look at some of these. I'm particularly salivating over the last one. Is the lighter part leather or suede?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It's suede- very popular and common in the '20s- mid 1930s. This one is Cravenette processed to be water resistant. Gordon and Ferguson had the exclusive rights to that process for leather.

As an aside- lightweight leathers, suede, capeskin, etc. were popular on these earlier jackets. The obsession with heavy-weight leather is a more modern thing.

Last edited:

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
That's a nice collection, Dinerman! Is the last jacket a mens or a womens one? I'm confused by the buttoning.

Forrest

Familiar Face
1950s Sears Hercules:

It pains me a little, but it's for auction on ebay, link in the classifieds here. It just never fit me right in the chest.

Last edited:

pilot error

One of the Regulars
uqasyty6.jpg
Windward Steerhide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Here a few I have owned and worn for years. Bought them at thrift stores, antique stores. I would wear them until something broke or I out grew them.

Alden. Probably a 44 since I can wear it. Broken zipper. Always thought it was horsehide, but doesn't say.

DSC09860.jpg

DSC09848.jpg

shot0016.png

shot0012.png

I bought this Lakeland at a Vintage Clothing store in St. Louis 1985. Wore for several years, now needs repairs.

DSC00143.jpg

DSC00119.jpg

DSC00130.jpg

DSC00139.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
No name. Wore it holes in this one. Great jacket in a large size.

DSC00061.jpg
DSC00072.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

Foster: Very small size 38, never worn by me. Goatskin, very light.

DSC09874.jpg

DSC09894.jpg

DSC09898.jpg

DSC09905.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24