Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
And here's the old material, with the new as a valance:
Kitchen02-02-09004reduced.jpg

So which looks most promising?

Since you ask...I really like the combination. I like how you're using the breadbox as the basis for the kitchen color scheme and accessories. But my head's telling me "Valance too long - curtains too short!"

What *I* would probably do is take up the valance since it's long. I realize that's to partially mask that the curtains are short. I'd also take up the curtains to shorten them and move the curtain rod down parallel with the bottom half of the window, so the curtain bottom hangs down a little below the sash.

Then you've got a section of window between valance & curtain to look out or at least let light in while you're working at the sink. At least I *think* that where the sink was in the "before" photo.

Edit: Hey - what does the valance material look like on the backside? If it's lighter, you might try flipping the valance - it might be a closer match to the breadbox. Just a thought.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I wound up just using the two feedsacks, tied back. It's another half finished project at this point. They're tied back with twine, which is scotch taped to the side of the window. It looks pretty decent, actually. But I have to re-sew the curtains to get a little more length out of them, and figure out how to make a real tie back of some sort. I'm reminded of a country song I heard recently, "This place could use a woman's touch." lol
My next issue with the kitchen is whether to paint the cabinets white. I think I will, but at this point I have NO gumption for it.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
But I have to re-sew the curtains to get a little more length out of them, and figure out how to make a real tie back of some sort.

Use a color-coordinated length of ribbon and a thumbtack. No sew, easy to do.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
tuppence said:
I can't believe people would do that. Not only does it destroy an old house. It ruins the whole street. If they want a Mc Mansion they shoild move to the outer suburbs.

Y'know, here in Florida - especially over the last decade - we see our share of developing going on. Most of the time, when I hear someone lament, "Oh my God, they tore up a perfectly good overgrown pasture and put HOUSES on it!!", it doesn't impress me because I, personally like to see human progress and nice homes built in which people can reside. Some developers here have gone to lengths to really put some style in to their projects. And to those college kids who seem to honestly believe that our entire country is paved over and nary a tree or blade of grass is left standing, I suggest they take a coast to coast flight with a window seat.

HOWEVER, when I hear of old homes being torn down to build new ones, I cringe in likely much the same way the pasture lovers do. I live in an 1883 home and cannot imagine ever wanting to live in a new one. These oldies have soul and it is sad when they are toppled before their time.

MadelienneBlack

One of the Regulars
HarpPlayerGene said:
And to those college kids who seem to honestly believe that our entire country is paved over and nary a tree or blade of grass is left standing, I suggest they take a coast to coast flight with a window seat.

I might mention that it's not just college kids who think that, though.

You're right, there is nothing wrong with human progress and I believe it should be encouraged wholeheartedly. But I believe that progress should be just that, progressive. It's difficult to find good craftmenship anymore. I feel like the homes now would fall over if you blew too hard. I find no beauty in 18 houses that look alike stacked right next to each other. I also find it appauling that you have to start looking into a new roof or new windows after living there for five years or less, even. Quantity over quality seems to be the name of the game.

Along that same note however, not all those "mourning the pastures" are sad because they lost a little grass. I've heard my own father complain about the large cookie-cutter mansions that replaced the woods he used to play in plus his childhood home and the street he learned to drive a car on. It's more a nostalgia thing I think.

However, I will add that since those cheap, obnoxious houses have been built overtop of what used to be wooded areas there has been a huge number of now-homeless deer running in front of cars causing some not-so-pretty accidents. Whether you feel bad for the dead animal or the wrecked Ferrari, you've got to admit if there wasn't a house there, someone or something might be better off.

Ps. A coast to coast flight would be lovely, provided they start handing them out for free anytime soon. Until then, I guess I'll just lament the lost grass.

kampkatz

Practically Family
MBlack

I see that you are in Pennsylvania. There is much more rural acreage in the commonwealth than there are paved over lots and cheap developments. Wild life have always wandered onto roads that cut through their habitat and sadly, there is too much road-kill even in this more rural part of the state, Most home building here has some quality to it, although there are still cheaper dwellings, as there will always be.

John K Stetson

One of the Regulars
I find no beauty in 18 houses that look alike stacked right next to each other.

Perhaps it depends on the setting. There's been a lot of development in my part of Pennsylvania, including a couple of "neo-traditional" attempts. Reasonably sized single family homes, and townhouses (grouped in threes) whose facades are different but clearly relate to each other (in addition there are services and shops within the development, to encourage walking or biking). I have to admit the streetscape leaves me a little cold.

However I just returned from a trip to London and Bath. The streetscapes there (London: South Kensington and Notting Hill; Bath:almost everywhere) could not have been more harmonious. Whether it was the 18th century architecture or the materials - or both - there was a nice feeling imparted the porticoes, steps, columns, pilasters, etc.

http://www.terragalleria.com/europe/united-kingdom/bath/picture.uken35917.html

John K Stetson

One of the Regulars
Along that same note however, not all those "mourning the pastures" are sad because they lost a little grass. I've heard my own father complain about the large cookie-cutter mansions that replaced the woods he used to play in plus his childhood home and the street he learned to drive a car on. It's more a nostalgia thing I think.

Surely nostalgia is part of it. However much of the current development (at least in SE Pennsylvania) is consuming some of the most fertile farmland around. Houses can be built almost anywhere, but food can't be grown almost anywhere - at least, not sustainably. The neo-traditional developments I mentioned earlier try to preserve some farmland, open and wooded space by building fewer homes on smaller lots - preserving a lot of developer's land. It's a start...

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Here are pictures of my 1889 vintage carriage house (which contained much of the radio and phonograph collection) ABLAZE last Saturday.

FIRE001.jpg

FIRE002.jpg

FIRE003.jpg

FIRE008.jpg

AND THE RESULTS:

FIRE010.jpg

FIRE011.jpg

FIRE013.jpg

FIRE014.jpg

FIRE015.jpg

FIRE016.jpg

The building and the contents are a total loss, I'm afraid.

$ally

One Too Many
Oh my gosh that's horrible! Insurance, I hope? Not that it can replace your hard work, but it helps with everything else. Is there anything I (or we at FL) can do to help you?
Your memories are always in your heart though.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
There are no words....

Friend Vitanola,
What can one say at a time like this? For all of us who are "thing" people--those for whom the physical remains of the past serve as transmitters of the zeitgeist and ethos in which they were born--this is close to a worst nightmare.

The knowledge and interest you have weren't destroyed, and I'm sure you'll pick up the pieces and go on. Thank you for sharing those things with us, and I look forward to your future contributions.

With very sincere and deep condolences,
"Skeet"

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Oh dear, what a loss, vitanola!!! Seeing your photos made me very sad.

We're still working on redecorating our 1958 ranch home. I'll try to grab some pictures this weekend. We are fairly lucky in that our home was somewhat remodeled in the early 90s by the 2nd owners, but many of the original touches remain - original doorknobs & many fixtures, some original kitchen fixtures (built-in blender and vent-a-hood), NuTone house radio & intercom system, recessed can lighting, laminate cabinets with black lacquer & chrome handles, original blue & apricot tiled bathrooms. I'm trying not to go for the extreme kitsch 50s look with all Coca-Cola & cherry motifs, formica & mid-century modern (not that I don't LOVE that), but we're aiming for more of a 1950s traditional style. A mix of modern pieces with some western/colonial thrown in. My line of thinking is that a lot of families wouldn't have had all brand new 1955 Danish modern furniture, they would have had a mix of pieces and styles. Colonial style was still pretty huge in the 1950s (even into the early 60s) so we're kind of leaning that direction.

My goal is to have kind of a "Don and Betty Draper" house that is typical of what a suburban late 50s/early 60s family would have lived in daily.

Lorena B

Practically Family
Vitanola, I am really sorry for your loss. That is heartbreaking. I hope you can get back to your life real soon. So sad!

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
You can use photobucket to perform all kinds of cool effects with your pictures. One allows you to make "vintage"-look photographs. Here's my house with the special effects:
tallhat042-2.jpg

Or "blueprint" it!
tallhat041-1.jpg
:

Sepia:
tallhat041-2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24