Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shutter Island

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Hey all,
not sure if anyone has floated any pics from the new Scorsese flick "Shutter Island". Looks good...

shutter_island_12.jpg

shutter_island_pic02.jpg

shutter_trailer-park.jpg

shutter_island.jpg

shutter-island-20091220090230509_640w.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Constipated? So has his release of quality entertainment for a long time. Looks more like he's worried his 15 minutes of fame far exceeded his acting talent long ago and watching behind to see how fast the crowd of fans is thinning out. ;)

elvisroe

A-List Customer
If his career ended with the appaling Titanic I'd agree but he's won me over recently with some gritty roles in Blood Diamond, The Departed and Body of Lies. All great films.

christphil

New in Town
elvisroe said:
If his career ended with the appaling Titanic I'd agree but he's won me over recently with some gritty roles in Blood Diamond, The Departed and Body of Lies. All great films.

It really struck me that you brought this up elvisroe. To this day I have not seen Titanic---you can only imagine how much ridicule I faced in high school being the only kid who didn't see Titanic. All my classmates prided themselves on having seen the film several times---many even claimed it was their favorite movie. I can't detract from their sentiments as I truly have not seen the film. Just never seemed interesting to me.

But Dicaprio has won me over the past few years with all the movies you mentioned. Might I also add Revolutionary Road?

It suffices to say that I'm very excited about Shutter Island.

Ande1964

Practically Family
Nice

Leo is a real talent. Scorsese doesn't hook up with guys for this many films unless they have the chops. He's phenomenal in Aviator.

That aside, I've been really impressed with the hats in the trailers I've seen. They look great and they actually look worn. They don't have that fresh off the hatter's block look that we usually see in period films. Leo's hat looks like you could reach out and ball it up in your fist, and it would go back on his head looking more or less the same.

Can't wait for the movie.

Anj

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
christphil said:
It really struck me that you brought this up elvisroe. To this day I have not seen Titanic---you can only imagine how much ridicule I faced in high school being the only kid who didn't see Titanic. All my classmates prided themselves on having seen the film several times---many even claimed it was their favorite movie. I can't detract from their sentiments as I truly have not seen the film. Just never seemed interesting to me.
:eek:fftopic: I wonder what it was with grade school kids when Titanic came out. My classmates were the exact same way--thought it was the greatest movie ever and acted completely shocked and even appalled if someone hadn't seen it. Then, of course, all the girls were in love with Leo. :rolleyes:

I actually like Leo's acting. I enjoyed Titanic; now, I've only seen it maybe twice and I wouldn't consider it my favorite movie, but it definitely isn't a bad movie. I also enjoyed Blood Diamond, and The Departed.

I'm looking forward to Shutter Island. Now I just need to find someone to go see it with.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Leo already left a huge impression on me when he played the mentally handicaped brother of Johnny Depp's character in What's Eating Gilbert Grape from 1993. He really stole the show! :eusa_clap

Feraud

Bartender
Leo could star in any of those horrible chick/date flicks that flood the theaters. I like that he chooses to take chances with his career and play interesting dramatic roles rather than settle for an easy paycheck.

And to keep it on topic.. the outfits don't look bad either.

jwalls

Vendor
christphil said:

But Dicaprio has won me over the past few years with all the movies you mentioned. Might I also add Revolutionary Road?

It suffices to say that I'm very excited about Shutter Island.
I just couldn't deal with "Titanic". I suppose if you don't know how it ends it might be possible to get through it.:rolleyes:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Looks like DiCaprio's hat sports an underwelt, judging from that first photo. Another hat by Optimo, perhaps?

Brad

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Mario said:
Leo already left a huge impression on me when he played the mentally handicaped brother of Johnny Depp's character in What's Eating Gilbert Grape from 1993. He really stole the show! :eusa_clap

I agree! I haven't seen What's Eating Gilbert Grape in years. That's one I've been meaning to watch again recently.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Brad Bowers said:
Looks like DiCaprio's hat sports an underwelt, judging from that first photo. Another hat by Optimo, perhaps?

Brad

:) Hi Brad,....I needed an excuse to call Optimo. Tiffani just told me they did not work on this particular movie,.....the last few they worked on are:
Nine, Run Diary, and Nightmare on Elm Street

I'm not a huge fan of DiCaprio, but have enjoyed many of his roles, so I'm looking forward to seeing Shutter Island.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
High Pockets said:
:) Hi Brad,....I needed an excuse to call Optimo. Tiffani just told me they did not work on this particular movie,.....the last few they worked on are:
Nine, Run Diary, and Nightmare on Elm Street
interesting.
I noticed Nicole sports a stylish little trilby in the promo pics for Nine and Freddy's fedora in the nightmare series is certainly an iconic hat. I see the new one has no ribbon. I'm not a real slasher fan so I'm not sure if it used to or not??

New-Freddy-Krueger-images-2010-horror-movies-7466864-355-470.jpg

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
elvisroe said:
Hey all,
not sure if anyone has floated any pics from the new Scorsese flick "Shutter Island". Looks good...

shutter_island_12.jpg

shutter_island_pic02.jpg

shutter_trailer-park.jpg

shutter_island.jpg

shutter-island-20091220090230509_640w.jpg

I can't recall the name of the actor standing next to DiCaprio, but I love everything about his fedora--the caramel color, the crown height, the brim width, the dark, fairly wide hatband, and the apparent pliability of the felt.

That hat would look great on my head. If anyone finds out who supplied the lids for this film, I'd definitely check into buying that exact hat.

As for Leo D., I thought he was far too lightweight for Titanic. In fact, I thought he sucked in that ultra-hyped picture. However, he has gradually grown into a very fine actor. You don't work for Scorcese, our greatest living film director, unless you are.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
AlterEgo said:
I can't recall the name of the actor standing next to DiCaprio, but I love everything about his fedora--the caramel color, the crown height, the brim width, the dark, fairly wide hatband, and the apparent pliability of the felt.

That hat would look great on my head. If anyone finds out who supplied the lids for this film, I'd definitely check into buying that exact hat.

That's Mark Ruffalo in the caramel lid.

Interesting to note on the whole colour coordination debate that Ruffalo wears a brown hat with a grey-blue suit while Leo sports a grey lid with a tan suit.

As I've said elsewhere, NOT matching hat to clothes can work better than trying too hard to coordinate.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
tie one on

I got that first tie!

I started wearing these ... what do you call them? ... retro ties? several years ago when my boss declared everyone had to wear a tie every day.

I'd been collecting these great ties ... but everyone wore the striped "power tie" at the time.

So I brought out my collection and I really got hooked.

Now days I keep them for special occasions, but I still love to wear them, and I still find one from time to time, though they are harder to find than they were 25 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot