Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Side by side comparisons- Firenze vs Dexter

Donato

One of the Regulars
Stetson Dexter or Borsalino Como - or both?

Hello Everyone! I am new to the forum and new to the world of hats. I never thought I looked very good in one so steered clear of anything except a winter cap. Well, I am 58 years old now and decided to bite the bullet once and for all. I live in Connecticut so today I stopped in New Haven's premier hat store - DelMonico's - and suddenly I felt like I had come home! A pushing 60, silver-haired man felt like a child in Toys R Us!! The service was impeccable and after trying on many hats (I wanted to purchase a classic fedora), I left the store with a Stetson Dexter in black. I also tried on a Borsolino Como, which of all the hats I tried, felt the best on my head - but I was not about to dish out $265.00 for a hat - so I went with the Stetson. Does anyone else own the Dexter? Now that I have been bitten by the fedora bug, I am thinking of going ahead and getting that Borsolino Como from an online vendor. I found one at two different stores for $175.00 and $195.00 respectively, which is about as much as I'd want to spend on a hat. Maybe I'll go back to DelMonico's and get the Dexter in graphite and then buy the Como in black. Any thoughts about these models would be appreciated. And oh - thanks for this forum and happy new year to all!

duggap

Banned
Welcome to the Lounge. I have a Como I have had for over a year and I enjoy the hat very much. It stays in a regular rotation. I have bashed it several different ways and it takes it well. I like the higher crown it has. I think you will like it better than a modern Stetson. You might try it next. Who know, you may end up with several colors.:)

mineral

One of the Regulars
Donato said:
I left the store with a Stetson Dexter in black .... Maybe I'll go back to DelMonico's and get the Dexter in graphite and then buy the Como in black.

Unless you really, really like your hats black, I think you should get your Borsalino in a different color (maybe brown). You would have more colors to match with your closet. :)

Donato

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys - points well taken

The more I look at the Dexter, the less I like its styling. After trying on about 15 different hats today, they all started to look the same. Now that I have the Dexter home, I think the top is too high and broad for my tastes. Here is a photo I found that shows you what I mean:
StetsonDexter-1.jpg

The Borsolino Como did not sit quite so high. Ditto for the Stetson Sutley. Fortunately, I can return it easily.
I have another question about colors and feathers. What is the difference between Steel Gray and Pearl Gray? Also, are feathers also a matter of personal taste? Sorry for the dumb questions but I am a newbie to this world. Thanks for your welcome and for taking the time to respond to my posts.
Donato

surely

A-List Customer
Greetings Donato. Feathers are a personal taste. The Dexter might look better with the brim flipped down in front. But you are doing the right thing by trying on a lot of hats. It takes awhile to identify the differences. Good hunting

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello Donato, glad too see ya' here!
I think if you were to snap the brim down in front & tighten the pinch (which will give the brim a rakish swoop to it...) you would find it more to your liking. You could even give the crown a teardrop shape rather than the current center dent, you might find it less formal looking. I really prefer it to the Como. The Stetson seems to have less taper and a more generous crown. Of course the Como has a somewhat narrower brim at 2.5" and that groovy whipstitch on the brim edge, like the olde Dobbs gay prince model. I really like the intermediate width ribbon on the Stetson, too. If you are willing to drop a couple of c-notes on a lid, though, you ought to look for a vintage Borsalino, or Stetson or go custom.

Donato

One of the Regulars
How about the Stetson Sutley or another model?

The Stetson Sutley's crown is about 4 1/4 inches versus the 4 3/4 on the Dexter. Suede finish on the Dexter also. I am open to other suggestions, though. Miller Hats has a great looking "Baldwin Dress Hat" (Style 142): http://www.millerhats.com/mdressfelt_index/derby1.htm
I love the style and size options of this model. Does anyone know about the quality of these Miller hats? If you browse through their pages, they have many great styles - Manhattan, Douglas, Floyd, Queens - all look great and simple, which I prefer. Thanks. This forum is very helpful!

Al

One of the Regulars
Donato, Welcome!

A big welcome to you Donato, this is a great place to learn, lots of knowledgable, helpful and friendly folks. The Dexter is one fine looking hat, you look great in it.

I will agree with Surely though, would look much better with a front snap.

Oh heck!, go out and get the Borsalino Como as well!!!

-Al

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Welcome, Donato.

I have stared at some of those Millers many times myself! Miller's self-branded fur felt hats are made for them by Biltmore of Canada, and are considered pretty good for modern factory products. Pretty similar to current Stetsons, maybe a little better.

But if you've spent any time poking around here, you know that the real bang for the buck in current factory production hats is from Australia's Akubra, right?

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Welcome Donato!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
That Stetson looks pretty good...I bet it would look even better with different, tighter bash to it!...Of course, then ya probably couldn't return it as easily. Lets see a pic of it on you...Maybe that would help!:eusa_clap

Donato

One of the Regulars
Akubra Stylemaster

Doctor Strange said:
Welcome, Donato.

I have stared at some of those Millers many times myself! Miller's self-branded fur felt hats are made for them by Biltmore of Canada, and are considered pretty good for modern factory products. Pretty similar to current Stetsons, maybe a little better.

But if you've spent any time poking around here, you know that the real bang for the buck in current factory production hats is from Australia's Akubra, right?
I've been looking at the Akubra Stylemaster too. They are very reasonably priced but you have to figure on another $20.00+ for shipping. My only concern with buying a hat from Australia is if it does not fit properly. I'd hate to have to ship it back Down Under! Those Millers look mighty tempting for the price and many of those styles look identical to the Akubra.

Donato

One of the Regulars
Returned the Stetson Dexter today...now I'm hatless!

I tried on the Borsalino Bellagio in gray and I liked it even more than the Como, but I held off buying it until I can check out Internet prices. But it is definitely on my list and if a lower price does not materialize soon, (lower than $265.00), I'll splurge and go for it. Anyone else own a Bellagio?

jbucklin

Practically Family
Stetson Firenze

I am so wanting to order an Akubra---either a Federation IV, a Hampton, or both. :) The thing that keeps me from it is having to order from Australia. I live in Garland, TX, about 7 minutes from Hatco, where Stetsons are made. I recently bought a Stetson Saxon from Hatco's Outlet Store ($60!), and am wondering if I could somehow snag a Firenze from there as well. However, I know nothing of this hat, and haven't found much here at the FL on it. Can anyone here shed some light on the Firenze?

jbucklin

Practically Family
Of course I went to Hatco looking for one. Didn't see one anywhere and then asked about it. An employee said they had some "in the back", went to get one in my size and came out with a beautiful chocolate brown Firenze. It's so dark it's almost black. I have never seen such a beautiful hat. They're holding it for me until I get the cash (and my wife's consent).

Al Niente

Familiar Face
I received this hat as a Christmas gift. Black. Got it at Henry the Hatter. A great hat with lots of style. It was one of my 'go to hats" all winter long.

frussell

One Too Many
Outlet

I've had good luck ordering sight-unseen from the Garland outlet. Just called and asked, and they dug around and sent it out. One was a Pinnacle, and one was a Nostalgia, which is pretty hard to find in my size. They are good folks. I like that Firenze. Frank

jbucklin

Practically Family
Got the Firenze!

I went through my CD collection and managed to sell enough at a used CD store to buy the Firenze and a Dobbs Dayton, which fit too well and looked to good to pass up. It's been a good hat day. :D The wife loves the Firenze! :rolleyes:

Btw, I have to plug the Garland Outlet store. The nicest employees and the best service one could ask for. Also, for those who live in the DFW area---they just got about 400 new hats in with lots of great-looking straw fedoras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy