Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silk Panties

MissLemmon

New in Town
Hello Everyone!

Did a search on here for the topic of "Silk Panties" and can't seem to find what I am looking for.

Am looking for a resource/store/seller who sells vintage inspired silk or satin panties perhaps with frills or lace. When I google this topic I get the Pinup look or bloomer type undies. I am looking for something inspired more by the 1920's perhaps. Delicate, frilly and pretty more of a bikini style. (Did that style exist in the 20's?) Nevertheless...help?

If you have any suggestions I will be eternally grateful.

PS Victoria Secret is out of the question for me. I do not care for their products.

Kind Regards,
MissLemmon

Louise Anne

Suspended
MissLemmon said:
Hello Everyone!

Did a search on here for the topic of "Silk Panties" and can't seem to find what I am looking for.

Am looking for a resource/store/seller who sells vintage inspired silk or satin panties perhaps with frills or lace. When I google this topic I get the Pinup look or bloomer type undies. I am looking for something inspired more by the 1920's perhaps. Delicate, frilly and pretty more of a bikini style. (Did that style exist in the 20's?) Nevertheless...help?

PS Victoria Secret is out of the question for me. I do not care for their products.

Kind Regards,
MissLemmon
Me too.
I going to have a full set of 20's lingerie made in the next few months, I have got a corset make linned up who will have have a go at making a 20's girdle.
These are a original 20's silk pair from my own collection. I just add the stocking are also origianl 20's silk ones!

fn.jpg

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I'm just learning, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

I think you'll find a lot of one piece chemise style from the 20's. I've seen a few in auctions and they were usually a step-in design and not at all fitted, pretty much a straight up/down rectangle of fabric with two straps. In fact the crotch appears to hang rather low and loose. So, I'm not really sure they had anything as fitted as a bikini style panty. If they did, I'd sure like to see what they looked like!

Here's a link that shows some sketches of the chemise and the girdles/bra-ish undergarments. There's also a pic of a flapper in her chemise way down at the bottom.
http://www.victoriana.com/1920s/lingerie.htm

Louise Anne

Suspended
23SkidooWithYou said:
I'm just learning, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

I think you'll find a lot of one piece chemise style from the 20's. I've seen a few in auctions and they were usually a step-in design and not at all fitted, pretty much a straight up/down rectangle of fabric with two straps. In fact the crotch appears to hang rather low and loose. So, I'm not really sure they had anything as fitted as a bikini style panty. If they did, I'd sure like to see what they looked like!

Here's a link that shows some sketches of the chemise and the girdles/bra-ish undergarments. There's also a pic of a flapper in her chemise way down at the bottom.
http://www.victoriana.com/1920s/lingerie.htm

I do not think your wrong at all 23SkidooWithYou
Must say I not see that site so thank you for the link,

The thing I have never yet figured out is if the chemise (step in) was worn over the girdles/bra-ish undergarments or under it as I seen photos with them worn both ways around.

I think Victorains worn a chemise under the corset and a corset cover over, I think in the 20's one of these lays was amde redundent.

Adverts were sometime not as clear as they could be as they had to be more pc back then so they lacked clarity as the the right order!

cecil

A-List Customer
MissLemmon said:
Hello Everyone!

Kind Regards,
MissLemmon

I thought you may have been referring to vintage tap pants/knickers until I read "bikini style". As far as I know, underwear in the '20s was just things like camisoles, bloomers or teddy-type contraptions that were a combination of the two, as 23Skidoowithyou mentioned.

If you're just after pretty silky lingerie that's modern but with a vintage style, www.lamagia.co.uk stocks alot of brands who make that kind of thing, a few "pin-up" styles to be sure but there are lots of modern bikini-style panties too. There's also an etsy seller http://www.etsy.com/shop/Hopeless who makes lovely things that I think may be what you're after.

I'm sure I don't need to mention that neither of those websites are safe for work. lol

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I think panties varied a lot back then, but you won't find the low slung bikini style panties until the 60s, as far as I understand. Everything fit at the natural waist, especially until the end of the 40s.
The all in one was meant to be worn as one undergarment, so I am pretty sure there was no bra worn underneath. I'll have to check some of the books I have here to make certain. Most bras of the 20s had no support. If you wanted support you'd go the old method of the all in one girdle or corset, I think Corset was used until the 30s for terminology, when it began interchangeable with girdle, basically both meaning a foundation garment? But that's another thing I'm uncertain about.
You would not wear panties under your foundation garment, but on top of them. I think when lacing got looser it wasn't as necessary to wear chemises and some of the 30s corsets I've seen have a soft padding inside to make it so they didn't rub you, especially at the ribcage. Even Victorians and Edwardians wore a chemise underneath the corset and then the drawers on top- unless they were split drawers, I think. And then you probably still had an option. In an article I read from the early 1900s they mentioned the different ways of wearing underwear, and it seems it was mostly up to the wearer to choose the proper way to wear drawers- either under or over corsets. But with the 20s and 30s with crotch seams on panties it would simply be impractical to have them underneath or you'd have to re lace yourself into your foundation every time you went to the powder room. likewise, if you weren't wearing a foundation, your suspender belt would go underneath your panties.
As far as finding a modern maker, I could not say for sure. I have seen some listed on Etsy. At one time I wanted to make them to sell, then discovered after making about four pairs in a row that it was excessively boring to make panties over and over again. lol
Best of luck on your search!

MissLemmon

New in Town
cecil said:
I thought you may have been referring to vintage tap pants/knickers until I read "bikini style". As far as I know, underwear in the '20s was just things like camisoles, bloomers or teddy-type contraptions that were a combination of the two, as 23Skidoowithyou mentioned.

If you're just after pretty silky lingerie that's modern but with a vintage style, www.lamagia.co.uk stocks alot of brands who make that kind of thing, a few "pin-up" styles to be sure but there are lots of modern bikini-style panties too. There's also an etsy seller http://www.etsy.com/shop/Hopeless who makes lovely things that I think may be what you're after.

I'm sure I don't need to mention that neither of those websites are safe for work. lol

My goodness, Lamagia.uk is just what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

Thank you again,
MissLemmon

MissLemmon

New in Town
Paul said:
Me too.
I going to have a full set of 20's lingerie made in the next few months, I have got a corset make linned up who will have have a go at making a 20's girdle.
These are a original 20's silk pair from my own collection. I just add the stocking are also origianl 20's silk ones!

fn.jpg

Paul, quite lovely. And I enjoyed looking through your site.

cecil

A-List Customer
MissLemmon said:
My goodness, Lamagia.uk is just what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

Thank you again,
MissLemmon

Hooray! You're welcome. Now I really feel like browsing the site but I'm at work. Damn! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart