Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Since You Went Away (1944)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So who's seen Since You Went Away starring the ever lovely Claudette Colbert and Joseph Cotton, and a teenage Shirely Temple? I've seen this movie quite a few times, it's on TCM regularly and I just ordered the DVD. A heartwarming film of Anne Hilton (Claudette Colbert) caring for her two teen daughters while her husband Tim is off fighting in WWII. Tim was one of the many older fathers who decided to join the military for many reasons. Along with wanting to fight for their country it is implied that they were a bit bored and restless. The film portrays the effect that this had on the families left behind, and the lesson learned is that although fighting for ones country is a noble cause, there's nothing beats being at home with family. What was implied as once regular and mundane turns into something warm, filled with love. The regularity of everyday life that was possibly thought of as boring to these men who went off to war turns into the best and most important of all things in life. Also the portrayal of the women's efforts of the homefront, everything from rationing to the importance of the girls that became nurses aids, is wonderful and moving to watch. It's such a realistic film, at least in my opinion, of family life, the war effort, love, loss, and make do and mend. Support for family, friends and troops too are quite finely shown. It really is a lovely film. I recommend it to anybody who has never seen it, or hasn't seen it in some time. Especially given the current state of affairs in the country, it's nice to have a reminder of what things were once life, and how strong people were back then. I am amazed at the level of coping that the characters had, given all the circumstances and obstacles they had. In some situations, modern people don't even know what hard times were like. I honestly think that if their was such a thing as a time machine and someone raised during the late 20th century was transported to the 30's or 40's, they wouldn't know how to cope or survive.

Claudet Colbert is wonderful, but when was she not?? Joseph Cotton was handsome as ever. The script was full of all sorts of emotion which all the actors I think did a fantastic job portraying. Oh and of course the clothes in this film are fantastic. All are so elegant, the hair styles are beautiful, but when were they not in 1944?? It was so great to see the scenes with crowds of people all dressed up. Men in suits and hats, women in the loveliest of dresses or suits, the majority also wearing hats. People were such sharper dressers back then. Nowadays it seems that our fanciest dress was their casual day wear. Pretty soon, our fancy attire will be what was their sleepwear.:( It just really gives a realistic view of what times were like on the homefront for the women who did what they could and were passionate about the war cause and the troops. Great movie, in my opinion:D

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
And Hattie McDaniel! It is one of the few films where we get to see her wearing some stylish, modern clothing & not just a uniform.

I agree it's a fine picture. I have the book by Anne Hilton but not the DVD - it is on my 'to order' list!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I watched on TCM a couple of years ago. A very enjoyable homefront melodrama. Kind of long, but nicely done all around.

But Daisy, I don't know how seriously you should take it as documentation of what "ordinary" people wore in 1944 - it's still a movie and probably reflects a fairly idealized, romanticized, and otherwise glammed-up look. (I mean, it's Claudette Colbert and Joseph Cotten, not everyday folks!) Documentary film footage and - to a lesser extent - magazine photos are probably a better bet for getting a true view of the times.

Mike in Seattle

Which bulldog? The canine or Monty Wooley? ;) Seriously, it is a great movie and I, too, watch it from time to time when it's on TCM. Agnes Moorehead's perfect in the role of the catty "friend" and Monty's great at the stern and gruff old codger who eventually warms to the family - both the Hiltons and his own grandson. Your heart just goes out to him more than Jane when the inevitable telegram arrives.

Twitch

That's true Daisy. Women are rarely seen "dressed up" in films unless they are portraying hookers. Guys today get a suit thrown on them and they look decent but it is more difficult to find the right costumes for a well dressed woman character.

Daisy Buchanan

Doctor Strange said:
I watched on TCM a couple of years ago. A very enjoyable homefront melodrama. Kind of long, but nicely done all around.

But Daisy, I don't know how seriously you should take it as documentation of what "ordinary" people wore in 1944 - it's still a movie and probably reflects a fairly idealized, romanticized, and otherwise glammed-up look. (I mean, it's Claudette Colbert and Joseph Cotten, not everyday folks!) Documentary film footage and - to a lesser extent - magazine photos are probably a better bet for getting a true view of the times.

Don't worry Doctor Strange, I would never take anything fictional done by Hollywood in any era as documentation of what "Ordinary" people wore in 1944. I do know the difference between a documentary and a Hollywood fantasy.
I really wasn't referring to the clothes when I said it gave an accurate idea of life on the homefront. I was just commenting on how I liked the clothes. Of course the characters were all dressed far too nicely to be accurate. Although there is a scene when Colbert is leaving church and she is walking with Moorhead's character, Moorehead comments on Colbert's dress saying "I remember seeing that dress last year" Colbert responds "No it was 3 years ago" or something to that affect. I think they were trying to get the point across that the typical woman who bought new dresses in the latest style could not do so during war time. Of course the dress was beautiful regardless. This is Hollywood after all and no matter how hard they try to depict some sense of realism, this realism is often off base when it comes to things like wardrobe. I really was just saying I liked the clothes in the movie. I love watching all of these old films, not just for the wonderful stories, acting and such, but also it's a great way to get style ideas, especially hairstyles. But, I am well aware that the majority of women did not have the ability to get so dolled up. However, a lot of these women in the film did have beautiful clothes before the war started, and if they didn't have to sell them, they did still wear them. It was possible for a women to go to a hangar dance in a lovely dress, if it was purchased before the war started. So it is quite possible that there were some women who either were well to do or had enough money to have a lot of beautiful dresses before the war. It's not unlikely that a women, like the one portrayed in the film by Colbert, still had the ability to dress quite well even during times of hardship. She was just wearing the clothes she obtained before the war.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I saw this last night - it's a really great film. I'm finding Joseph Cotten to be a new favorite I regret overlooking before. He's great in everything I see him do. Charming, watchable and understated. Likable, a little roguish, utterly charming and natural.

On the other hand, I found Claudette Colbert a little tiresome in this one. Much like in Imitation of Life - sometimes it feels overly sugared and forced. She was never better than in It Happened One Night.

I wish the director had resisted using a sledgehammer to get his message across in the last reel or so. The plot was predictable enough, there was no need to clobber us with patriotism at the end. (The minute that Irish kid at the hangar dance said "Well, I'm off to do a training flight..." you knew he'd be dead in five minutes)

I still liked it. Great clothes, wonderful characterizations, and of course I'm jelly for anything with a bulldog in it!

Thanks Daisy - I put this on my Tivo to grab after seeing this thread. I'm really glad I did or I would have missed it!

since-you-went-awayPDVD_00601.jpg
240px-Since_You_Went_Away.jpg

shebagrl

Familiar Face
I just watched this the other evening and loved it! It's going on my ever-growing list of things I'd like to buy. Who doesn't love a heartwarming story like that about a strong family unit of ladies ;)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I just **love** this movie!! I have it saved on my DVR to watch whenever I like. My dad and I like to watch it together during the holidays. I really love to watch any Claudette Colbert movie.. one of my all time faves is "So Proudly We Hail".

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan, this may be a little off topic, but you comment "Tim was an older father who decided to join the military...". My Father was 43 in 1941 (born 1898) and was in the Army from Dec 20 1941, 20 days after declaration of war. He was a Colonel in the National Guard, so there was no choice However, All able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 50 were subject to the draft, unless in a defense or sensitive job (farmers, for example). So, I doubt that "Tim decided" to join. There wasn't much choice, even when there was a family. My Father had five children (1926 - my sister, 1928 my sister, 1929 my brother, 1932 Me, 1939 my brother) and he sure didn't have a choice "to decide". Nor did any of the other fathers I knew. There were just no men around between 1941 and late 1945, other than over 50 or 60 or younger teenagers. I think some of the movies of that period tired to gloss over certain subjects to make things seem more palatable than perhaps they really were. I could also expound on ration books of WWII, but probably not smart enough. All the ladies of that period must have each been a genius to figure out that mess. It made my head hurt to think about it.

MacArther himself was about 62 or 63 at the beginning of the war so I don't think older age was much of factor (within reason). He had been a General in the Great War 1917-1919 (later renamed WWI in the later 40's). During the 20's, 30's and WWII, it was still The Great War.

Bill

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I love this movie. I love anything with Agnes Moorhead and Hattie McDaniel. Monte Wooley is great also. It;s just a really sweet and heartwarming film. I never get tired of watching it.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I like this movie a lot. It's interesting/fun to watch this movie and Mrs. Miniver with Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon as a double feature at home. :)

For fans of the Boer War, I also like to watch Zulu (Micheal Caine and Stanley Baker) and Breaker Morant (Edward Woodard and Bryan Brown) as a double feature. ;)

Break out the popcorn! :D

TraditionalFrog

One of the Regulars
This film is one of my all time favourites!

I first discovered it (video cassette) on a shelf at the local library. I took it home popped it in the video and... lets just say I was hooked!

About a year ago I was looking for some DVDs at the local Borders book shop and to my surprise.... a DVD of Since You Went Away! It now has a place of honour in my DVD collection.

It's a real shame none of the networks air it at Christmas time any longer.

Because of the ending, I'm sure the PC sensors have long nixed it from the programme schedule. Sad.

Another Golden Era film I love is Cary Grant and Myrna Loy in Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House! It came out almost immediately following WWII. I first saw this film on television as a child with my mother. We both laughed or heads off. (Although I think my mother had seen it before). I recently found this on DVD and it has a special place in my collection as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR