Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tarek

New in Town
Hi people,
so I've been actively searching for a thick B-3 for over a year now. I've bought a total of 3 but none of them fit correct so I had to sell them all. I'm pretty desperate at this point as I don't want to spend more than 5-600 Dollars considering I come from Germany and have to pay tax on everything I import. I did however find some Avirex B-3's in japanese markets where I'm willing to spend that extra dollar if they fit right. The only thing is I'm really confused on the sizing. I'm a 5"11 guy 175lbs quite slim build though. I'm not sure if cockpit USA still has the same sizing as Avirex back in the day but I sent them my measurements and they recommended a size 38. Yet whenever I compare the measurements of size 38 Avirex's to my body they all seem a good size too large. Now considering the fact that a size 34-36 is extremely hard to find (even in japanese markets where the general body build is way smaller I would say) I am starting to question my ability to measure since I usually never wear sizes that small and also I was recommended a size 38. So my question is could anybody with similair body build tell me what size they have in said jackets? Or perhaps post the arm/shoulder length of a different brand jacket if you have a similair body build. Example of size 38 measurements would be 49cm shoulder width, 66cm Arm length so a total of 181cm if you add all that up (2x Arms). I find this way of measuring the most accurate and also in cm most precise so please convert to inches if you have trouble. I'm also open to opinions of any type or recommendations.

avique

One of the Regulars
I have a Cockpit B3. I'm 5'-10" and around 190 lbs (44" chest and 34/36 waist) and usually wear a 44 with arm length of 25". In the Cockpit B3 my 40 fits trim to body with the waist at my belt and cuffs at my wrists. I tried on a 44 and it is huge so I suggest ordering 1 or 2 sizes down depending on your preferred fit.

Good luck.

Tarek

New in Town
Ok thank you for your input. I'm not sure if you ever got to measuring your jacket or yourself but would you say generally the outer length of the jacket can be applied 1:1 to your body? As in if the arm length is 25" and your arm is exactly 25" the jacket fits perfectly, or would you take the inner shearling into consideration?
Also, did you ask Cockpit USA for their size recommendation? And did it end up being the right size?

Last edited:

Tarek

New in Town
I'm just throwing this in here but a jacket I'm really interested in according to measurements would go around halfway down to my knuckles.. and now I'm wondering if this is too big

Peacoat

Bartender
The jacket sleeve (cuff) should stop 1/2 way from the wrist to the webbing on the thumb joint, the Metacarpophalangeal (MP) Joint.

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I have an Avirex B-3 from about 1986.

Where does your Jacket not fit correctly? sleeves too long? Waist too big?

the hard part I ALWAYS find for a B-3 is to make the shoulders fit correctly and that takes the right shirt underneath sometimes, a scarf too.

Otherwise the sleeves tend to droop a little and the cuffs tend not to fit.

I believe a good B-3 jacket should fit with the cuffs resting against your wrists so you have full hand movement and the sleeves aren't swimming over your hands when they are fully extended. Sometimes you need a good shirt underneath that has a pair of cuffs that fit inside the cuffs of the B-3 so there is minimal wear to the fleece and the sleeves *seat* firmly at the wrists. Good gloves are also very important..ones that either fit OVER or under. It should almost be tough to fit your hands through the Cuffs of a B-3 if it fits you right. I don't think it the Jacket was designed originally to have any cold air coming up through your cuffs in an open cabin aircraft so they should be relatively snug. at *that* point if the cuffs of the Jacket seat correctly then your shoulders should have proper movement provided you've bulked up correctly underneath the Jacket.

A shirt with a collar and a nice BIG scarf do the trick for me.

I have always done the military thing and worn a Jacket a size up from my true size, and if the shoulders sag a bit I can wear a good military scarf which solves that problem and snugs it up, also I like to wear a lot of layers in the winter. This is a good fitting Jacket IMO if you like to layer up. They are heavy and need a lot of oil to stay nice and broken in.

If you want I can measure mine and tell you my weight and height etc?

Last edited:

Tarek

New in Town
I have an Avirex B-3 from about 1986.

Where does your Jacket not fit correctly? sleeves too long? Waist too big?

the hard part I ALWAYS find for a B-3 is to make the shoulders fit correctly and that takes the right shirt underneath sometimes, a scarf too.

Otherwise the sleeves tend to droop a little and the cuffs tend not to fit.

I believe a good B-3 jacket should fit with the cuffs resting against your wrists so you have full hand movement and the sleeves aren't swimming over your hands when they are fully extended. Sometimes you need a good shirt underneath that has a pair of cuffs that fit inside the cuffs of the B-3 so there is minimal wear to the fleece and the sleeves *seat* firmly at the wrists. Good gloves are also very important..ones that either fit OVER or under. It should almost be tough to fit your hands through the Cuffs of a B-3 if it fits you right. I don't think it the Jacket was designed originally to have any cold air coming up through your cuffs in an open cabin aircraft so they should be relatively snug. at *that* point if the cuffs of the Jacket seat correctly then your shoulders should have proper movement provided you've bulked up correctly underneath the Jacket.

A shirt with a collar and a nice BIG scarf do the trick for me.

I have always done the military thing and worn a Jacket a size up from my true size, and if the shoulders sag a bit I can wear a good military scarf which solves that problem and snugs it up, also I like to wear a lot of layers in the winter. This is a good fitting Jacket IMO if you like to layer up. They are heavy and need a lot of oil to stay nice and broken in.

If you want I can measure mine and tell you my weight and height etc?
Yes Please go ahead and tell me your measurements. So what has happened till now is I bought a size 36 Vintage Avirex (the sizing seems to differ depending on what year they released) but it‘s going to take ages to arrive since DHL takes forever. Anyway according to my measurements the cuff should come right between my wrist and first thumb joint, though I really hope the thick shearling doesn’t make the jacket fit shorter. Since I thought all Avirex jackets would be very spacey chest and waist wise I didn‘t really check the chest measurements. Apparently it‘s 42.5 inches circumference (I think I have +-37 Inch chest) which seems quite small even for a size 36. But yeah if you could post your measurements that could perhaps give me a better idea how mine is going to fit.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I totally have forgotten my measurements, I checked the Jacket..It's a 1986 Avirex B-3 In size 46.

I'm 6,1" and rough estimate about 185 pounds, This Jacket fits me pretty good I would say.

Don't know, I'll take my measurements tomorrow, I've got a headache tonight dear.

Tarek

New in Town
So my jacket just arrived, and shoulder and length wise it fits perfectly. The only sad part is that I actually can't close my jacket. It is way too tight around my waist. Contrary to what I thought I have more than enough space in the chest area though. I really feel like my jacket has a weird cut since the chest doesnt seem proportionate to how slim the waist is. I'm really bummed out about that. I'm still going to wear it regardless but what good is a winter jacket I can't close :(

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
A B3 fit can be quite a problem, by that I mean a historically correct B3 would be shaped to take an A2 and a uniform of smoking as a layer. If you are flying at only 3-6 feet altitude as I do then I wear just a T shirt underneath. That is to say most of us just wear them to walk the dog or play around on cold days, even so we all differ in arm/sleeve length and body though we be the same hight.
I have never worn an Avirex jacket except back in the 1980s when they were exploiting the Top Gun, Raiders,Hannover Street etc tv and cinema themes. Their(Avirex) idea was to produce jackets for the general public, not quite WWII accurate and painted up to the hilt with the odd fictitious badging up to appeal to an everyday wear rather than genuine flying clothing enthusiasts.
Avirex may be more accurate in sizing for the daily wearer than a flyer, the jacket being cut differently. Apart from their earlier versions made pre Top Gun possibly 1970s, the fleece did not appear as durable as those made by some well recognised replica makers, even Aviation Leathercraft had better skins though they stuck to so called Irvins I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko