Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skin Choices?

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
I'm in the process of ordering a new coat from Magnoli. I looked for ths in search but didnt see what i was looking for. What are the diffrences between cow skin and goat skin as far as how they wear and there toughness?

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Boxerken

Also bear in mind that leather hides can vary between batches, cuts, and tanning procedures. Your best bet here is to email Magnoli, and if necessary ask for leather samples.

Just out of curiousity, what style of jacket are you looking for, and what do you want to use it for? If you get stuck, there may be some members here who could give you some ideas based on their own experience.

Enjoy!

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the info Carlisle. RP i'm wanting a U-Boat that he makes. I like the Aero, but that coat in horsehide must weigh a ton, and that makes me want the goatskin, which Magnoli can make and he gets really good reviews on here so i'm just trying to figure out which type skin I should get. I'm oepn to all suggestions.

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
Boxerken said:
Thanks for the info Carlisle. RP i'm wanting a U-Boat that he makes. I like the Aero, but that coat in horsehide must weigh a ton, and that makes me want the goatskin, which Magnoli can make and he gets really good reviews on here so i'm just trying to figure out which type skin I should get. I'm oepn to all suggestions.

I forgot to add that as far as use it's just for winter and winters here are really not that cold. I dont want something thats going to be to much.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
The main difference between our goat and cow, besides the price, is the weight. The cowhide we use is noticably thicker and heavier than the goat. Goat is very strong, but more comfortable if you're not used to a heavy jacket. If you're used to something like horsehide, though, cow is fine.

Personally, I prefer goatskin and for a winter coat, I had mine lined in a plaid wool for extra warmth.

Kind regards,
Indy

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Well, there you have it!

As has been said before on this forum, the deciding factor in warmth for a leather jacket is in the lining you choose, more so than the actual weight of the jacket. A sheepskin jacket, for instance, is a very thin shell of leather with a very thick pile of fluffy wool that traps "dead air" close to your body. This dead air heats up from your body temperature, and keeps you toasty. Even the thickest, heaviest horsehide can't do that! I have an Aero Bootlegger with a worsted wool lining which I have worn in quite warm weather... and that's a heavy jacket!

Best of luck with your peacoat. Let's see some photos when it arrives!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran