Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

skirt lengths?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
It depends on the age of the dress, but most mid-40s styles fall just below the knee on my 5'6" frame. I do have some earlier and later pieces that hit mid-calf, but I think the preferred hemline of the wartime 40s would have been just below the knee. That's actually a good length on most women, though--any longer and a petite woman can look shorter (and also, the longer hemlines can make even the shapeliest leg look less so.)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yup, during the war I think rationing helped to make hem lengths shorter. Early 40's seem to be about mid calf or to below the knee, mid 40's seem to be about below the knee or sometimes even above the knee (but I think that was mostly for the bobby soxers). And then the skirts extended to below the knee or mid calf again nearing the 1950's.

here's a link to an image from 1942 regulating garment production:
http://www.costumes.org/history/20thcent/1940s/sews4victory/WPByardstick.JPG

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
How long is YOUR skirt?

Ladies Ive been wondering length appropriateness via era.

Im a 40's and 50's gal, so I always go below the knee to mid calf. I was wondering if there were some exceptions to this in any era. Im just curious to see what else is avaliable. I guess Im interested in more styles of skirts as well.

Thanks ladies,

LD

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I prefer right below the knee, if I wear them really long it is too much since I am soooo tall.

Here is the definitive guide to 30's skirt lengths:

236690543_565a95011a_o.jpg

Rosie

One Too Many
I usually do below the knee to mid calf. I just like that length, plus with my hips, :rolleyes: it just kind of balances me. The more flare a skirt, usually I can go a bit shorter. Pencils and slight flares usually come to my calf or mid calf.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I am too tall, thus bought pencil skirts and vintage etc only come to just below my knee, which is annoying. I am currently figuring out my perfect pencil skirt pattern though, and that will be a few inches below. Hooray!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The shortest dress I own hits right at the base of the knee -- and I keep meaning to let the hem down a bit. Most of what I wear is about two inches below the knee, although I've got a couple of dresses that go to mid-calf.

Someone once explained to me that the ideal skirt length for any woman hits just at the point where the top of the calf begins to curve inward. I wasn't consciously thinking of this when stitching my hems, but it turns out that's where most of mine hit!

Elaina

One Too Many
I have to do what's best for my body, and since I have no torso (I'm 5'6" and have a 33" inseam) I tend to look too elongated with skirts above the knees or too dumpy with calf length, so most of mine fall right below the knee, or street length.

Even capris and when I wear gauchos fall at the same line (sadly, I even have retro patterns for those from my Aunt) because of the same issue. And there's all kinds of problems with a petite torso and a tall inseam to get anything to not look out of proportion.

Elaina

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Tourbillion said:
I prefer right below the knee, if I wear them really long it is too much since I am soooo tall.

Here is the definitive guide to 30's skirt lengths:

236690543_565a95011a_o.jpg

WHERE did you find that?! It's AMAZING!

Said she who wears her skirts below the knee or longer (with the exception of sportswear which was often above the knee)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I'm just getting into dressing vintage, and I'm a bit worried about skirt length, because at 5'1" with a long torso, I don't want it to look like I don't HAVE legs. :eusa_doh:

My legs are actually very lean compared to my stomach (which is NOT that tiny 24-inch vintage waist) so I wouldn't mind showing them off in a vintage-y way.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I read that in 1944, skirts were just above the knee because fabric was so scarce.

To answer the question, most of my skirts are knee-length; it's professional looking for work. I have good legs, but in certain lighting, short skirts make my legs look muscular. Besides, at age 37, I want a more elegant look than a mini-skirt offers.

And as I've mentioned, I tend to tear the seam on long pencil skirts. I like the look of pencil skirts, but it's not practical for me.

ricki

Familiar Face
Paisley said:
I read that in 1944, skirts were just above the knee because fabric was so scarce.
Most of my skirts are this length because (a) a lot of my vintage clothes are from this period, (b) skirts that are mid-calf length make me look like I have short, fat legs, and (c) I often wear them out dancing and this length allows for more freedom (and an occasional aerial.)

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I found the diagram on ebay, but couldn't afford to win it. But the photo was free.

And Fleur, I would love to have the perfect pencil skirt pattern too. Are you going to taper it or have it be more straight?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
my skirts must all fall below the knee, since they hang shorter in the back then in the front (due to spinal oddity) and any shorter then below knee, the crookedness is way more visible.

Same reason why i dont wear tightly fitted skirts, the crooked is much more visible then too.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Paisley said:

To answer the question, most of my skirts are knee-length; it's professional looking for work. I have good legs, but in certain lighting, short skirts make my legs look muscular. Besides, at age 37, I want a more elegant look than a mini-skirt offers.

And as I've mentioned, I tend to tear the seam on long pencil skirts. I like the look of pencil skirts, but it's not practical for me.

Not so much above the knee, but just on or immediately below the knee. Dior's New Look dropped skirt and dress lengths to below mid calf in 1947. This was unacceptable to a lot of women who couldn't equate the ostentation with the remaining austerity regarding rationing, and the "Little Below the Knee Club" gained 1300 members protesting against the new lengths in Dallas, Texas. I'll see if I can find the exact skirt lengths of the time. I think I posted them somewhere before. This is the war years of course for short lengths, then 47/48 for Dior's longer look. Because of the reaction the skirt lengths that hit the "high street" inspired by the New Look rose to mid calf, and this held through the late 40s/early 50s until hems started to rise mid 50s to the generally accepted top of calf curve length before the 60s moved into mini, midi, maxi etc.

And with regard to hemlines and making our skirts. The classic tailoring of a skirt hemline is that the back should be 0.5 inches longer than the hemline at the front. I guess that's to accomodate the butt and still have an even hemline! (Can see the logic and will check it out next time I do a hem). Personally I need an extra 2 inches in the front of the blouse to accommodate the bust as opposed to the butt! And a humungous 17" across the shoulders. So no vintage dresses for me with those measurements!

Rosie

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
my skirts must all fall below the knee, since they hang shorter in the back then in the front (due to spinal oddity) and any shorter then below knee, the crookedness is way more visible.

Same reason why i dont wear tightly fitted skirts, the crooked is much more visible then too.

My skirts fit shorter in back too but because of my derriere :eek:. When making my own skirts, I usually just make them a bit longer in back so that I have a somewhat more even hem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael