Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sleeve crease

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Friends, I am posting on behalf of my Mexico City friend who would like a second option in a sleeve crease method for his Vanson model E. I shared the good old ride in the rain method with him, but he is opting for a less dangerous alternative (inexperience with his new touring Harley) for him in the big city.

Would you please share your proven methods to create those "cool sleeve creases?

Thanks!

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
People got awesome creases just by wetting the sleeves and wearing the jacket as normal. I would not do anything else, short of riding in a wet jacket.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Friends, I am posting on behalf of my Mexico City friend who would like a second option in a sleeve crease method for his Vanson model E. I shared the good old ride in the rain method with him, but he is opting for a less dangerous alternative (inexperience with his new touring Harley) for him in the big city.

Would you please share your proven methods to create those "cool sleeve creases?

Thanks!

I advise him to allow for about 1 inch loss in length due to creasing then have it taken in properly from the shoulders. The problem is there are hardly one can in Mexico City who can pull the correctly. Ten years ago, there were many people who manufactured leather jackets in the city. Just like shoe makers, less and less every year.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Wear it. Earn them.
fwiw “inexperience with his new touring harley” is the worst idea i can think of.
He is new to the bike. He has been riding for about 30 years. He does ride all tipes Ducati 1198 ,BMW r1200gs and 09 rk was his last one before he purchased a full dresser. Guy can ride. He is no squid. Mexico city is very crowded and is no different than Paris or Rome. However, his riding is pure recreational. He is probably one of the most experienced riders I know. He just does been following a John page at vintage engineering boots. He is more of the dual sports BMW type.

Liveinstyle33

One of the Regulars

Thanks!

Just wear the jacket normally. You will get the most natural, best result. No need to short cut anything.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Just wear the jacket normally. You will get the most natural, best result. No need to short cut anything.
He understands that. But he just wanted to get a more accurate measurement before it is taken to the tailors for a sleeve job. My guess was that it would it would be about 1" length loss when the jacket set up properly. He saw some Images to some water "treated" sleeves and reach for me for an opinion.

No doubt your bud can ride.

I get what you are saying from a congestion stand point when comparing city traffic in Rome and Mexico City. But I’ve seen (no doubt you have also) some crazy shit in Mexico. An example is some dude on a beat down motorcycle with a blanket-wrapped baby in a plastic basket strapped to his handlebars. I was like WTF, is anybody gonna do anything. Not to mention the road hazards and poor roads which are not as common in Europe or US.

In my experience , much of Latin America, the Middle East and Africa are just…different. Fun and exciting for sure. But…different.

Damon141

Practically Family
have it taken in properly from the shoulders.
Is there somewhere in the USA that can take in leather jackets at the shoulders?

I was told by someone, it was either Great Leather or Johnson Leather that they couldn’t do it because of sleeve tapering, basically the shoulder opening would potentially not match up to the newly shortened sleeve. I didn’t suggest it at the time but I figured that there was a simple solution in a football in the armpit like Bates and others use, possibly using the leather removed from the sleeve.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
No doubt your bud can ride.

I get what you are saying from a congestion stand point when comparing city traffic in Rome and Mexico City. But I’ve seen (no doubt you have also) some crazy shit in Mexico. An example is some dude on a beat down motorcycle with a blanket-wrapped baby in a plastic basket strapped to his handlebars. I was like WTF, is anybody gonna do anything. Not to mention the road hazards and poor roads which are not as common in Europe or US.

In my experience , much of Latin America, the Middle East and Africa are just…different. Fun and exciting for sure. But…different.

I have also seen crazy shit in Paris and Rome. in Mexico and other Latin countries, NECESITY sometimes leads people to make very poor decisions. Unlike Paris, I often saw idiots splitting lanes doing about 140 mph in the road to CDG. I took that road 3 times a week when I worked using that site. Totally unnecessary and unsafe. You know that. Mexico's roads are not in the level of France or Italy. But they are the best in all Latin America and you can safely travel just as well as any major European highways. One of the differences between Mexico and America, is that in Mexico people are more aware of motorcycles sharing the road with them (sometimes they do not care of that fact). In America, the major reasons for motorcycle accidents are that car drivers sometimes do not pay attention to areas and spots where motorcycle rides often use. Mexico City is one the biggest cities in the world. Not only by land by number of vehicles operating in a single day. Unless you live and work there for at least a year, it is difficult to understand the "bestia del concreto" to its fullest extent.

My friend only asked me for advice in how to crease his leather jacket sleeves. The Ryding in the rain was my idea but not as habit but rather as a result when you get caught in a downpour as you riding to a destination. However, it is not my first choice, and hardly do it unless I have to get to a safe place in the middle of a ride. I however more than ones have been caught in a rain in Central and South America, Caribbean, Africa,Europe Central Asia and North America (Mexico,US,Canada).

Now is tamale time. Here in the California, I am going to make some tamales to welcome the new year.
Happy New Year!

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Is there somewhere in the USA that can take in leather jackets at the shoulders?

I was told by someone, it was either Great Leather or Johnson Leather that they couldn’t do it because of sleeve tapering, basically the shoulder opening would potentially not match up to the newly shortened sleeve. I didn’t suggest it at the time but I figured that there was a simple solution in a football in the armpit like Bates and others use, possibly using the leather removed from the sleeve.

Hello D! Truly, I have not asked Dena if she would do such job. I was thinking in practicing with a sacrificial jacket, but I have not got around to it. I know my friend was able to doit. He did for the fly boys and bikes when He worked at the San Diego leather jacket company. He is now too old and sold his trusted cylinder bed lockstitch walking foot sewing machine. However, he did tell me that I did not need that particular machine. My trusted Consew 225 or 206rb-2 can doit. I also know for a fact that LW machinist can doit for about 2k. I have read some members had panels removed with pristine results.

The shortening from the shoulder method is the optimum way of shortening the sleeves but the jacket cut must blend itself for it. Personally, I am fine with the Vanson/Schott method of shortening the sleeves at the wrist. But jackets like the Buco j21-24 have that special stitching three inches from the end of the sleeve that creates a challenge. For this reason, the shoulder method works best for those jackets.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
If you ride a lot your going to be riding in the rain at some point. To purposely ride in the rain to put creases in your jacket sleeves is ridiculous. Put it on and go for a walk in the rain if you must or do what Carlos suggested....

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
One of my favorite cafe racers always got about 5-10 minutes of heavy mist/fog on a particular portion of Temecula's freeway.

Working on those tamales. Chicken, pork and dulce. Everyone is waiting for them. Only 7 dozen this time. The 12 dozen days I think are behind me. Back cannot take it as it used to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21