Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero A2 38-1711-P sizing question - need help.

Cole

One of the Regulars
I am currently in the process of ordering an Aero A2 38-1711-P in FQHH (thanks to Gancho and his beautyfull jacket for giving me this insane idea ;) ) and have a sizing problem.

I've exchanged serveral e-mails with Amanda so far and she recommended to order the jacket in size 46 with 1" added to sleeve and body length (I told her I want a slim fit with enough room to wear a thin pullover or turtleneck underneath).

I am aware, that an A2 differs from the motorcycle jackets I usually prefer and that Amanda is the expert when it comes to the matter of sizing an Aero jacket, but size 46 seems mind-boggling large to me, since I normaly wear jackets size 42 and 44.

The measurements I send Amanda are the following:

Height: I am 186 cm / 6' 1,228" tall.
Chest relaxed: 111 cm / 43,7"
Chest expanded (breath in): 114,5 cm / 45,08"
Stomach: 101 cm / 39,76"
Waist: I wear size 34 jeans

Here are some example pictures of different jackets and how they do / did fit.

This was the size 44 Highwayman I sold last year because it was way to baggy and roomy for my taste.
highwayman1.jpg

This is a size 44 Vanson Model B which still leaves room for some layering. The picture was taken last week.
house14.jpg

This is a 10 year old size 42 Vanson Wolverine jacket (modified Model B) which still wears comfortable, but without much room for layering. Plus the sleeves turned a little short over the last 10 years. The picture was also take last week.
x1okt11-1.jpg

Considering the fit of these jackets and the fact, that I lost about 10 pounds of weigt since I owned the size 44 Highwayman I can not imagine that a size 46 A2 38-1711-P would fit the way I want it to (slightly more roomy than Gancho's jacket fits him).

What do you guys think?

FWIW, the Aero Bronco A2 I have is a 52. I wear a 48-50 now due to losing weight.
Send Amanda these pics as well. And at some point, you have to trust her. I went through internal mental hell over my last order because she recommended a 48L for my 50's Half Belt Deluxe, with added body/arm length. I finally decided to just let her do what they do, and if it's not right, they'll make another.
Good luck! The Aero A2 is one of my favorite jackets, and I wear it almost daily.

JanSolo

Practically Family
A size 44 long would probably be large enough... but the 38-1711 is without doubt a very trim fitting model. Much trimmer and closer fitting than the Bronco. If it was my future jacket I would even add 1.5 inches to the back length as this contract is also very short as well.

How much do you weigh? 85-88 kg? Even if you go up in size don't expect this jacket to be roomy. The sleeves and especially the lower arm and cuff are very trim and don't offer much room for layering. I wouldn't want to wear that jacket with anything thicker than a western or thin flanel shirt. (And so doesn't Olli!)
Sweaters will have to be thin and very close fitting to go with that baby. Longsleeve +Shirt+thin sweater? Forget it!!
The tried and trusted Highwayman fits like a "modern cut" (i.e. made for fat people) American mall jacket in 3XL when compared to the 38-1711.
If you really want to layer I would recommend the Bronco which is next in line in terms of being close fitting...

Flying Mariner

Familiar Face
Hi Cole....
I am virtually identical to you in height and build, probably a few pounds heavier.
I have just sold a Aero 38-1711-P tagged 44" and with 2" extra on the arm and body length.
It was probably 1" to long in the arm but the body length was perfect. It would have been a great fit if it had been 0.5-1" bigger in the body.
I think a 44" chest with 1" added to the arm length, and 2" to the body length would be perfect for you.
In contrast earlier this year I sold a Aero Goatskin A2 I had made.
It was tagged a 46" chest and I had an extra 1.5" to the arm length and "2 to the body length.
I thought it fitted nice when I first purchased it however after loosing just a few pounds it felt generally baggy, especially the shoulders and it felt too loose around the waist.
The length of the jacket I felt I got just right but I should have probably only added 0.5" to the arm length rather than 1.5".
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Wayne.

Last edited:

Cole

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the feedback everybody. If the 38-1711 realy runs that small a size 46 migth actually work.

Jan, do you know if Olli's jacket had some body length added or was it a total costum job, so that the usual rules don't apply? I ask because his jacket barely covers the belt (and he's not wearin jeans that are cut low on the hip). So I might pick up your suggestion to add 1,5" to body length instead of just 1" like Amanda suggested. I would prefere a length that is equal the the length of my old Vanson jacket pictured above. Do you think this might work with an 38-1711 or would it be to long / look odd in your opinion?

Thanks in advance and best regards
Oliver

JanSolo

Practically Family
Not entirely sure about Olli's jacket. There was some length added to the jacket for sure but I don't know how much. Olli went to Scotland about 2 years ago and visited the factory. Will measured him personally and they put his data on file. When he returned home he simply ordered that jacket and they went by his measurements.

or would it be to long / look odd in your opinion?

No! Not at all! Some A2 contracts tend to be very short...too short for modern trousers. I don't see why a longer A2 would look odd. Navy M422as and G1 are considerably longer than A2s and nobody would ever think that they look odd. Even the Bronco is at least an inch longer than the 38-1711...

Cole

One of the Regulars
I finaly wrote Amanda about the back length and she told me I should just measure a jacket that I am comfortable with and give them the measurement.

I think I'll take the back length of this old Banana Republic jacket. It seems to be a little bit longer then Olli's 38-1711, but still does not feel to long. The back length measures approximately 62,5 cm / 24.6" when you take it from the collar seam to the lower end of the jacket. What do you guys think, good length or to long?

sizem2.jpg
backlength.jpg

too much coffee

Practically Family
Greetings Cole;
Starting off, I like the back length of your B/Republic jacket. Most might say it's just a hair too long but I don't like to have any inner shirt visible from the rear when wearing a jacket.
However, something doesn't seem right. If you're 6'1" tall, I would think the BR jacket, as displayed in the pic, would have a longer rear length measurement from the collar seam to the end of the garment(24.6"). Most guys wear their A-2 so you can see the opening of the rear jeans pockets. With your BR jacket I can't see the openings. Therefore you may be thinking less than 24.6" and, I believe, that would make the jacket appear too short.
I'm not quite as tall as you and I've measured 5 "hip length" leather jackets and the shortest I get is 25" even.
Do yourself a favor and measure the rear length with some other jackets to confirm the back length that you want before sending the measurements off to Amanda. Hopefully someone can better explain what I'm trying to say. I do know if I was 6'1" tall I would request 1" added to the body and probably 1" to the sleeves
I believe HoosierDaddy is 6'1" or 6'2". It would be interesting what the rear length on his Aero A-2 is.
BTW, your vintage peacoat is a killer.........nice work!

Best regards,
coffee

Last edited:
I'm 6'2".
My Aero A2 has 25" body length...and arm length. Sorry..this is the only pic of it that I have right now.
In my opinion...I like the A2 body length about half way between the top of my back pockets and bottom of belt.

46932.jpg

Cole

One of the Regulars
I'll remeasure the jacket tomorrow and will take additional measurements off of my size 44 Vanson Model B. Thank you very much for your imput.

Cole

One of the Regulars
OK, so I took pictures and measurements again this morning, just before I had to go to work (my wife thinks I'm nuts and she's right, I guess :) )

On the left you see the back of my Vanson Model B size 44. It measures 63,5 cm / 25". On the right you see another backshot of the BR jacket (size M)which measures 62,5 cm / 24,6".

houseback.jpg
brback.jpg

housebacklength.jpg

It is kind of strange, but both jackets look equaly long. The only explaination I've got that these measurements seem kind of short for my size is, that I've got pretty long legs and a not so long torso.

I guess I best go with a backlength of 25" then, just to be certain. What do you think?

Like I says, send Amanda your info, and some pics.
Also send the numbers of the jackets in the pics.
She will be able to figure it out.
You're going to love this jacket. And don't worry about what the tag size says. It took me a while to stop that - it's just a reference point. My HG-5 is a 50 and it's way bigger.

too much coffee

Practically Family
OK, so I took pictures and measurements again this morning, just before I had to go to work (my wife thinks I'm nuts and she's right, I guess :) )

On the left you see the back of my Vanson Model B size 44. It measures 63,5 cm / 25". On the right you see another backshot of the BR jacket (size M)which measures 62,5 cm / 24,6".

houseback.jpg
brback.jpg

housebacklength.jpg

It is kind of strange, but both jackets look equaly long. The only explaination I've got that these measurements seem kind of short for my size is, that I've got pretty long legs and a not so long torso.

I guess I best go with a backlength of 25" then, just to be certain. What do you think?

Greetings Cole;

I think you're right..........if you are considered long legged (in relationship to your torso), that would explain the back length.
You might just successfully pull off a 25" back. As ButteMT61 stated, give Amanda all your measurements and she'll work her majic for you.

So are you giving your toddler a demonstration on "standing in the corner" because you misbehaved? Very cute child!

BTW, that Banana Republic jacket looks kinda interesting.......nice!

Regards,
coffee

"So are you giving your toddler a demonstration on "standing in the corner" because you misbehaved? Very cute child!"

Reminds me of the end of the Blair Witch Project... :)

Edward

Bartender
FWIW, the Aero Bronco A2 I have is a 52. I wear a 48-50 now due to losing weight.
Send Amanda these pics as well. And at some point, you have to trust her. I went through internal mental hell over my last order because she recommended a 48L for my 50's Half Belt Deluxe, with added body/arm length. I finally decided to just let her do what they do, and if it's not right, they'll make another.
Good luck! The Aero A2 is one of my favorite jackets, and I wear it almost daily.

While this might be frustrating, it's the better option IMO. If you insist on a different size than recommend and it doesn't fit when it arrives, it's yours (I've heard of a few people p'exing on something else with this). If, on the other hand, Aero recommend a jacket that turns out to be too big, they'll make you a new one without further cost - at least, to the best of my knowledge that's how it works.

I do wear my utility jackets a little longer. My new Bootlegger has a body length of 26 1/2 inches...but for me an A2 would be too long in this length.

IMG_0591-1.jpg

I've never compared my bootlegger and halfbelt right against each other, but it does seem to me that the Bootlegger is just a little bit longer of a design than most short jackets Definitely an inch or two longer than any traditional bike-style jacket I've owned. I agree an A2 wouldn't sit right at the same length.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner