Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sleeve Zipper Placement

roadking04

Practically Family
Hi Guys. I am looking at getting a new m/c jacket. I was thinking about the sleeve zipper placement. Most jackets put the zipper on the "bottom/back", I have seen a few jackets with the zipper on the "top/front". My Vanson hardcore highwayman has the zippers on top/front of the sleeve. That jacket received little use because it didn't really fit right.

I was just wondering if there was any advantage to the placement of the zipper? I am thinking the top/front placement would scratch less things (car doors, chair armrests). Any thoughts/preferences?

Psant25

One Too Many
I prefer standard placement on the bottom. All my current leather jackets have them. Open vs closed I have not scratched anything to my knowledge.

i almost think with how many times my small watch has banged and caught things that zippers on top would do the same. Especially if open like aero or lewis leather.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Most of my jackets with sleeve zippers have them on the bottom. I definitely have a number of small scratches on the horn/air bag part of my steering wheel from the Talon zippers on my Langlitz Columbia.
My new Vanson Commando has them on the top and I really like it this way. I think they look cool and they do not get in the way of anything or scratch on anything.
My vote would be for top of sleeve.

Mr Knight

Familiar Face
Personal preference for me puts the zip in the sleeve seam, mainly for a cleaner look but in theory it is more likely to scratch any surface you rest your arms on.

On the contrary I have an Alpinestars bike jacket with sleeve zips on the ‘front’ side (like the Aero Board Racer) and I don’t find them any more or less practical in that position due to being covered by my gloves, though I imagine it stops any bunching of material under the wrist where the glove strap sits.

Either way it’s down to what you prefer, the jacket does look ‘more’ biker with the zip on the front (more visible) but I’m sure someone will chime in with a more practical reason.

roadking04

Practically Family
Thanks for all the opinions. I have scratched a wooden chair armrest with my perfecto. Not a big/deep scratch. Not a big deal because it was MY kitchen chair, I would hate to nick up SOMEONE elses' furniture.

Davidm

Familiar Face
i got one on top one bottom but on a next one i will place it exactly on the sleeve seam (so like umhm bottom and to the side) as i find it more logical "why cut a piece of leather if it's already been cut"? =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB