Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*Snoods*

Odalisque

A-List Customer
NicolettaRose said:
I love snoods, but I have bobbed 1920's style haircut, is there any way to "fake" the 1940's look of a snood with a bobbed hair cut?

Use a hairpiece to fill out the snood in the back. I'm not sure what you would do with the front but if your bob is long enough, you put it up in rolls.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I was trying to go for that full snood at the nape of the neck look, don't have enough "filler" though. Maybe I could some of those hair clip thingys that they sell at the mall and just do it with that.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I've actually seen these smaller bun snoods at a $1 store....I'm thinking its called 99center plus or something like that.....I'll drive by and check the name later. They always seem to have them in stock.
Lady Day said:
You can get a 'half snood' or a bun snood (look on ren-faire sites). These are made smaller for smaller amounts of hair.

Sydney Loren

Familiar Face
Hamilton_Honey, your snood is absolutely beautiful and I love the colour of it!

I just got one yesterday from a vintage shop and when I went to put it on it's like the elastic disintegrated so at the moment I'm relying on bobby pins and a bit of luck to keep it on. :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Sydney Loren said:
Hamilton_Honey, your snood is absolutely beautiful and I love the colour of it!

I just got one yesterday from a vintage shop and when I went to put it on it's like the elastic disintegrated so at the moment I'm relying on bobby pins and a bit of luck to keep it on. :)

Get more yarn or thread of a similar color....and weave it through the area around the opening...leave both ends out....put it on..then gently pull on the strings and tie them when its the right tightness...

Inky

One Too Many
I finally decided to try out one of the snoods that I made using this pattern.

I have to fill out the bottom with a hair piece, but it worked out pretty well. I was unsure of the bow on top, however, I think it was fine. I did make it just a pin-on bow in case I don't feel like wearing it.

I got a lot of looks yesterday in Trader Joe's market, and you figure they've seen it all there!

2978205149_f5491feab1.jpg

pixie

Familiar Face
Hey Inky

I have red and black hair as well, very nice. So how much would I need to beg/pay to get you to make me one of those beautiful snoods? I love the one that you have in the black, so nice. Thanks.

Inky

One Too Many
pixie said:
Hey Inky

I have red and black hair as well, very nice. So how much would I need to beg/pay to get you to make me one of those beautiful snoods? I love the one that you have in the black, so nice. Thanks.

Hi Pixie!

Thank you so much, I'd love to see a picture of your red/black hair sometime. I'll PM you about the snoods.

bronzewolf

New in Town
Inky said:

I have to fill out the bottom with a hair piece, but it worked out pretty well. I was unsure of the bow on top, however, I think it was fine. I did make it just a pin-on bow in case I don't feel like wearing it.

I got a lot of looks yesterday in Trader Joe's market, and you figure they've seen it all there!

that looks really beautiful, esp with the ribbon, im glad i came across this post and tip on filling the snood up with an extra hair piece.....
for any UKers and non crocheters/knitters i found this site
http://www.thesnoodlady.com/5.html

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
Why go to all this trouble when you can get a box of plastic SPOONS, turn them upside down, and you have SNOOdS.

479027162_be46d6c6f4.jpg

lol
Fletch, you are an odd bird.... and I am amused.

OK, this thread seems tho have had three separate existences, and all the same questions keep coming up:
"where can I get one" - use the search, google, what have you! And black people hair places always have them.
"How do you get it to stay on" - like you have never heard of bobby pins!
"I hate the wispy bits" - use a hairnet under the snood
"I don't have enough hair" - stick a wig or hairpeice that matches your hair in it, instant big hair

Hopefully this will save a lot of page-scanning...

EDIT" Because of this thread, I dropped in the beauty supply and bought 5 more snoods... darn you, Powder Room!!!

Black, brown, navy, white, and gray. All made of a silky skinny cord, rather like the cord that fringe is made of. They drape well. I already have burgundy, purple and forest green.

For the local gals, it's the beauty supply on Grand Avenue next to the Grand Lake Theater in Oakland.

Antje

One Too Many
Inky said:

Hey I got the same snood, my dear mom made it for me, I don't have a bow on it, I could try it one day, I love it

laurakitty

Familiar Face
I guess I should go check out the beauty supply store for some snoods, but I really think I should learn to crochet- the crocheted ones on here are just gorgeous!

Seams13

New in Town
Knitted Snoods

For those of you who can knit then check out http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

If you click on LADIES FASHIONS IN WW2 (left-hand side, main page) and look through that section you will come to a pattern for a beautiful Knitted snood. I have made a couple of these both in crochet yarn and 4ply wool. I must admit that I left out the ribbon from the centre, but they still look lovely. It's an easy pattern, quick to knit and you will love the finished article. PROMISE!;)

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
Fletch, you are an odd bird.... and I am amused.

OK, this thread seems tho have had three separate existences, and all the same questions keep coming up:
"where can I get one" - use the search, google, what have you! And black people hair places always have them.
"How do you get it to stay on" - like you have never heard of bobby pins!
"I hate the wispy bits" - use a hairnet under the snood
"I don't have enough hair" - stick a wig or hairpeice that matches your hair in it, instant big hair

Ah ha, genius, I was worried about the wispy bits and put off making a snood for this reason. Of course hair net (slaps forehead with hand). Off to the beauty supply!

leaette

A-List Customer
Inky, good job on the snood. I make the same ones. I've made many of them for my Etsy store.

I just cut all my hair off so I won't be wearing a snood for a LONG time. But that's OK, I needed a change.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Inky said:

Inky, is that the same one as the one you're wearing in your current avatar? I love the look on you and the bow is adorable!

Inky

One Too Many
Goldfish said:
Inky, is that the same one as the one you're wearing in your current avatar? I love the look on you and the bow is adorable!

It is the very same snood as in my avatar, Goldfish, and thank you. I wasn't sure about the bow and it's only safety-pinned on so it can be removed or changed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner