Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Socks question: options w/o going sockless.

PenMan

Familiar Face
I hope that this is not a redundant thread, but I could use some help. For reasons I won't go into here, I can't go sockless. What are my options with things like loafers and boat shoes when worn with shorts? Should I just forego such shoes, or is there a type of sock that is acceptable with shorts?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Yes, there are things called peds which are similar to those try-on socks they have in the ladies section of many shoe stores. They fit over your toes and heels and the bottom and sides of your feet, but are cut low all around so they don't show. However, I'm not sure I've ever seen them for men, so that might be your challenge.
27432588.jpg

I am also a fan of low-cut socks, which will show a little bit, but without looking ridiculous. I will wear them with skirts or capri pants, or any other time a regular sock would look just plain stupid. They are also called ankle socks and I found this one at http://www.amazingsocks.com/web-pid-1550-Fox-River-Socks-Wick-Dry-Running-Ankle-Sock-item.htm, though I'm sure there are many other places online where you can find them available in men's sizes.
1550-fox-river-socks-wick-dry-running-ankle-sock.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
BegintheBeguine said:
All of my male friends wear socks with shoes and sneakers when wearing shorts. Not to do so is icky. I'll find out exactly what they wear and get back to this thread with the information.

It may be a little different with loafers and boat shoes though. Completely different look.

I have never been able to go sockless with an enclosed shoe of any type, only with sandels. Even with sandels i will often put some foot powder on the bottom of my foot for comfort.

The "Miami Vice" look escapes me.

tonypaj

Practically Family
I hate socks, they suffocate and imprison me. I also hate belts. Belts I have to wear, as prefer them to suspenders, socks are for the winter and even then only when I'm outdoors... The little tiny low socks suffocate me less, but they definitely are socks and thus to be distrusted and disregarded whenever possible... Knee high socks should be banned by law...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Anklets solve the dilemma for me. My favorites are athletic grey, since they only come in that and white. I'd like khaki ones, but no go so far. May dye some.

They are ideal for wear with shorts and those lace-up sport oxfords that are all over the place these past several summers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran