Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sopranos... whole series...

emigran

Practically Family
THE SOPRANOS just ended after HBO re-ran the whole series... all seasons in... a back to back nightly format... perhaps many of you were as entrenched in the reruns as I was . watching intently each night a series that ran 6/7 years was an extraordinary experience. A brilliant literary and artistic presentation. I live very near to all the places viewed on the show... most of the shots in restaurants, along highways, in neighborhoods , towns are all where I grew up and know so well. Being an Italian -American the show also hit many chords of familiarity on culture and the "our-thing" mystique.
I just wanted to say a few things about the controversial ending. In watching the crescendo of violence and secretive living over each season on a nightly basis, the writers and producers had me totally engrossed in the complete saga as though I was there in it myself. Favorite characters, good-guys/bad-guys twerps and creeps equally.
I learned how , in truth, that gangsters of that ilk are completely committed and wholeheartedly believe they are soldiers and therefore any and all killing is justifiable to the cause ,i.e., making exorbitant amounts of money on other peoples' effort. We all have known this since the heyday of the Al Capone era.
Sudden unexpected death is a way of life lurking behind the eyes of one's best friend. The last bits of the series saw virtually everyone eliminated with even more death on the way for whomever was left behind. The terror in Carmella's response when Tony has to hide out because there is a hit out on him is the very backdrop of the series.
The Soprano family tried, in the face of the horror, to conduct life as regular citizens.
So... after Tony's most recent and narrow escape the family tries to have a regular week night out at the local restaurant ( Holsten's was and is an "ice-cream parlor" that I used to take dates when I was in high school). There was no place else for the series to go... the point had already been very well made... all the killings... Bobby Baccala was shot to death while buying model trains... everyone met their "fade to black" when least expected... I assert that is the point and that the ending was as perfect as the whole series...

What did you think of the ending...??

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner