Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

source for modern overcoats?

tm3

Familiar Face
i'd like recommendations for brands, and online vendors. i want 2 -- a "balmaccan(sp?)" style with liner, preferably wool or fleece, and a wool or camel hair.

i don't want to spend as much as a burberry, but would like something of good quality.

i've seen that macy's carries several, jos a banks has some, etc. etc. but i can't really tell one from the other just looking at the www pages.

thanks very much for the help!

Peacoat

Bartender
I buy my overcoats at Jos. Banks or Brooks Brothers. Haven't checked prices lately, but normally $400 to $500 for a good quality coat. Catch them on sale now and then for $200.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I went into JAB today in NYC and there were camel hair British warmers* for $298! Tried one on with my Royal Stetson and it looked pret-ty spiffy.

*double breasted, 6x2 buttons, welted edges, turn-up sleeve cuffs, belted back

tm3

Familiar Face
well, how much to spend is a good question. i don't want something that is going to start falling apart in a couple of years. on the other hand, i don't care about someone else being able to still wear it 50 years from now.:)

i'd say up to $500 or so, but i guess it really is a question of what it is going to take to get decent quality.

sounds like Brooks B and jos a bank are good bets, especially if i catch a sale.
t!

Peacoat

Bartender
tm3 said:
well, how much to spend is a good question. i don't want something that is going to start falling apart in a couple of years. on the other hand, i don't care about someone else being able to still wear it 50 years from now.:)

i'd say up to $500 or so, but i guess it really is a question of what it is going to take to get decent quality.

sounds like Brooks B and jos a bank are good bets, especially if i catch a sale.
t!

My thoughts exactly. Just got an email notice of a sale on Jos. Banks overcoats--$158 for their standard conservative Merino wool coat. Hard deal to pass up if a store is in your area.

tm3

Familiar Face
i ordered the camel hair overcoat from JAB, along with their "regular' wool coat in camel. i like the camel hair much better -- the regular is imo not really camel color, it is more caramel color.

i'm a little surprised by the cut of the coat, however. it fits as far as the shoulders and the sleeve length, so i think it is the correct size, but this thing is really cut full. i could almost invite some guests into it with me!

guess i'm safe if i decide to gain 100 pounds or so.

tm3

Familiar Face
also, i'm still on the lookout for the "balmaccan" style. no luck in finding london fog -- maybe they are out of business?

macy's has a sanyo brand that looks good but is pricey. i might catch one on sale after the holidays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou