Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sources for a sports cap (non-baseball)

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I was sentenced to do regular gym service by a dubious quack doctor. For the time being, I'm not going simply 1930s for that, meaning I forgo a tanktop and short trousers for long sleeves and trousers that will separate my sweat from other people's. I found my old plain plimsolls and bought a very nice tubular retro gym bag, but I couldn't find anything satisfying yet for my head. (Technically, I don't have to wear a cap there, but it just feels awkward.)

So, are there caps available that have a short brim? Something like an old-style cricket, rugby or schoolboy cap, preferably light-weight, machine-washable and without the logo of a club I'm not a member of, though I can live with the latter.

Google didn't get me much further.[huh]

Salv

One Too Many
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:

So, are there caps available that have a short brim? Something like an old-style cricket, rugby or schoolboy cap, preferably light-weight, machine-washable and without the logo of a club I'm not a member of, though I can live with the latter.

You've just described the classic cycling cap, although most of those available have the names of cycle team sponsors, or cycle equipment manufacturers, on them. None dating from the 30s unfortunately, but there are repros of several 50s/60s team caps around. Prendas have a good selection, including these...

20080404_bianchipiaggo_side.jpg
apis_retro_cap_brook.jpg
20070321_apis_campg_grp.jpg
retro_straph_cap.jpg

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
What about one of those lightweight cotton cycling caps? You know, the ones bicycle racers used to wear before helmets? You'll have to live with the logos, however.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Thanks, that's a good direction to go! I'll have a closer look at these, though from memory (and the pictures above - thanks), I think they tend to have a visor that's nicely short, but too narrow. I know I'm picky.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Thanks, that's a good direction to go! I'll have a closer look at these, though from memory (and the pictures above - thanks), I think they tend to have a visor that's nicely short, but too narrow. I know I'm picky.

I'm thinking from your responses that what you're looking for is almost like a beaney with a visor? I think my Dad's 1950s little league cap was like that. It was similar to the cyclist caps above, but made of dark blue wool sewn in panels and with no logos at all.

I'm sorry, but I don't know where you'd get one today.

-Dave

icot

New in Town
Hmmm.

To think I may be of some help here! I worked at a Y up until January and I saw a fair number of cotton driver style hats (as well as plenty of ball caps). Orvis has a cool looking porkpie w/ coolmax, but alas it's covered in shamrocks! I do STRONGLY encourage you to choose comfort over fashion.

http://www.orvis.com/store/shop.aspx?pageType=GROUP&dir_id=885&Group_ID=1751&shop_id=8874

Don't know if you'll see anything here, but hey- they've got some stetsons!
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/215_Mens-Accessories.html

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Thanks a lot everybody!

carldelo said:
Here's some photos of Honus Wagner, his ball cap looks along the lines of what you want.

Yes, that's what I had in mind.

icot said:
I do STRONGLY encourage you to choose comfort over fashion.

I concur, I don't want the thing to fly down at every move, and I want it to be washable in some reasonably practical way.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Ryan said:
What about a cotton newsboy cap?

Those cycle hats look like the old short cut and short visor ball caps. Take a look here for just a plain solid color cap.

http://www.ballcap.com/

Oh, great, the site's back up! Yes, they have some really nice stuff. I'll mail them about some detail questions.

Or does anyone here around have any experience with their caps while actually doing sports? Flannel sounds suitable for winter in the grand-stand, but not necessarily when you're working out in summer.
weights.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot