Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spear point collar shirts

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Here is the 1940s California collar shirt that I clamored El Pachuco to reproduce a few years back. Not 100% cotton, but like Flat-Top said, it is a inexpensive alternative for those looking for such. They still have them in stock for about $30.
l.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here is the 1940s California collar shirt that I clamored El Pachuco to reproduce a few years back. Not 100% cotton, but like Flat-Top said, it is a inexpensive alternative for those looking for such. They still have them in stock for about $30.

That's a good one for sure. I'd say that it's a hybrid of the Hollywood collar (with its slightly curved blades and extreme length) and the California collar (with its spreading / \ ).

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Apparently the french call them "Chemise Hirondelle" ...Mr Freedom does so and I found some pictures on pages about French recistance reenactment where this term was also used. The workwear blogger Mr French CanCan does offer some cool vintage shirt for less than 100$ at the moment.

chem4.jpg

chem7.jpg

27chem29.jpg

Last edited:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Those are nice shirts! Thanks for posting them.

The collar blades are more spread out from each other (in an upside down "v") than are the blades of ReVamp's 'Duke' collar. A different style detail, sort of a cross between a traditional Barrymore collar and a California collar.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's true. The spread is wider. But the long and sharp curve is more "spearpointy" than on the California collar shirt we used as an example a few pages before. *Uhm if this makes sense.* Maybe they look different when worn with a tie? I really love the flecked fabric on the first and last from the three.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I don't think you can get this quality for £30. Unfused collar and cuffs, reinforced side gussets, hand made. No way you can get that for £30.

Edward

Bartender
I don't think you can get this quality for £30. Unfused collar and cuffs, reinforced side gussets, hand made. No way you can get that for £30.

Of course not. Unfortunately, though, no matter how nice the product, it's still well over and above what I could justify spending on a shirt that would be, at best, semi-casual wear for me. Lie jeans, I suppose - I can certainly see why Ironhearts are better than what I wear, but I still can't justify the price of them.

Cobden

Practically Family
I just recently bought one of the Angel's unstructured spearpoint collar shirts. In all honesty, the pictures on the website are shocking, it was rather a risky gamble and I wasn't hoping for good things - I was just looking for something within my price range, and was rather expecting it to be made of thin poly with collar that resembled a modern button down collar without the button down facility.

When it arrived, I was rather surprised. It's pretty damn good. Reasonably thick, soft cotton that is very similar to the material on two of the pukka ones I have, half fronted, and when I checked the collar to my originals by putting one right on top of the other, well blow me down it completely matched (though bear in mind my shirts are rather conservative British shirts of the 30's, so the spearpointing isn't too extreme on either. However, the shape on the Angels shirt is completely accurate). It even has slots for collar stays like the originals I have, as well as a thin neckband.

The only complaints are the length of the shirt tales - though they are still long enough and the shirt blouses well when tucked in - and the sleeves - too wide, with a low armhole as on modern shirts. So not a perfect reproduction by any means, but still a nice shirt.

Still, for less then half the price of most of the 30's styles shirts available from UK mass produced retailers...I am rather chuffed. Will be getting a few more, I think. I shall endeavour to get photos, however as I am neither a good photographer nor particularly photogenic, please forgive me if I am unable to!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I thought they were a poly/cotton mix. Are you confirming that they are 100% cotton? I emailed them with that question, but never got a reply.

Cobden

Practically Family
I thought it was all cotton, but there is nothing on the label to suggest one way or the other. I'm not the best at discerning this sort of thing, but comparing it to shirts I know to be polycotton it doesn't feel nor hang like a polycotton, though I don't discount the possibility of there being some polyester in there. It's certainly not the really horrible stuff that makes you smell like a Turkish urinal and causes your hair stand on end

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
I agree to paddy. The forum is a place to help each other and deliver information. There are collectors who have some of the best vintage pieces and I really love to look at their stuff.
But there are also a lot of member who need to live on a budget and try to make the best out of it. I am one of them (I am lucky to live with a seamstress though)

I once introduced the Signum shirts. They are not perfect but have a nice collar. Now most of the german vintage wearers bought some of them and it is funny to see all the shirts at the last meeting this fall.

For real cool shirts I recommend Revamp or Vecona. The Darcy shirts need a sharper curve, imo.

I don't suppose you could help out with the signum collar sizing could you? I'd be after a 16 collar. I'd rather go big on the chest size in order to get a collar that fits and get the rest taken in! I was bitten by an Angel's Wardrobe supplies spearpoint collar 15.5 recently which shrank to about a 14.5 so I'm going to aim up in future. Apart from shrinkage it was pretty good. But I hate it when a collar shrinks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot