Spectator Shoes

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Matt Deckard, Mar 29, 2004.

1. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

2. Miss sofia

Miss sofia One Too Many

I actually found a place in my local town that sells lovely gents and ladies spectators in various colourways, good quality too, they are also online apparently, Crispins of Rye, the shop is called and i have been trawling the internet unsuccessfully for ages DOH!

3. Mav

Mav A-List Customer

I think spectators look good. On others. This is an excellent alternative, as I'm a fairly serious penny loafer wearer. Unfortunately, they're out of my size, as well. The brown and whites are great.

4. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe One Too Many

Oh bummer, those are slick...really slick

5. AntonAAK

AntonAAK Practically Family

Ah, great. Thanks.

I couldn't figure out why I was the only bidder. They're in great condition.

6. KILO NOVEMBER

KILO NOVEMBER Practically Family

McClain bourbon and bone specs

I have those, and a pair of Broadstreet in black and white. A few years back I wanted a pair of white nubuck wingtips, but AE didn't list them in the catalogue. My retailer, Sherman Brothers, got in touch with AE and they agreed to make a pair of McClain in white nubuck for a $100 premium.

They may not be prepared to do the bourbon and bone McClain (I don't see any McClain on their site), but they may be agreeable to doing the deed with the Cambridge model, which is very similar.

Of course, you'd have to be prepared to drop $425 for the favor.

Another approach may be via Indy Magnoli. I bought a pair of specs from him earlier this year. He may well be willing to offer bourbon and bone specs.

7. Danny Ocean

Danny Ocean A-List Customer

8. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne My Mail is Forwarded Here

That is probally because they no longer produce the McClain model. :(

9. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

IIRC, AE will pull out discontinued models for MTO (made to order).

10. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne My Mail is Forwarded Here

I asked them about that earlier this year & they said no. [huh]

11. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

Wrong thread

Please move this over to the specs thread.

12. Danny Ocean

Danny Ocean A-List Customer

13. Mr Vim

Mr Vim One Too Many

These are not mine...

I just saw these today in a shoe store, and I looked them up on amazon to get some pictures... is this anything but a modern take on a classic shoe? Or has this sort of thing popped up before? I'm curious,

well here it is.

[​IMG]

close up.
    [​IMG]

14. Mr Vim

Mr Vim One Too Many

So this style of shoe is not new? There have been weave leather shoes before? I mean it makes sense but I was surprised when I saw them.

Amazon has them going for 120.00, not exactly cheap.

15. cptjeff

cptjeff Practically Family

In the realm of leather shoes, there is absolutely nothing that hasn't been made at some point in time. Keep in mind that until the last century, there was one way to make leather shoes, and that's how we make high end men's shoes today. Wood lasts. Leather. Thread (which has evolved to be a very precise science over the years in terms of number of fibers, what type, wax, ect).

So yeah, pretty much everything has been seen.

Oh, and 120 is dirt cheap for nice men's shoes. "Good" usually starts around $300 (think Allen Edmonds), which is why vintage shoes are so dang awesome. Traditional men's shoes require pricier materials and a good bit of labor. Those at least look welted (though certainly gemmed, which is a whole different topic), so they can be resoled, which is a big plus, but they also look to be made of corrected grain leather- which is usually poor quality leather that's been coated with a plastic spray to hide the defects, which gives it that artificial shine.

In terms of prices, those NOS shell longwings have the same leather and about the same build quality as these. For example. Those black wholecuts would probably run at least a thousand today.

Gives you a whole new appreciation for finding these things for $5, doesn't it?

16. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

If you want a solid pair of quality shoes on the cheap, PM Gene and Cookie and give them your size.....;)

17. cptjeff

cptjeff Practically Family

No kidding. The best shoes I own were courtesy of Gene. And as you can see in this thread, he has a few pairs lying around.

18. VitaminG

VitaminG One of the Regulars

I think I might have to do just that. They've both posted some most droolworthy shoes in this thread. And pickin's seem slim in my neck of the woods

19. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up