Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SPF 100

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sunscreen is the miracle anti aging cream.

I dont wear make up, so sunscreen is what I use to protect my face. Ive used it since I was 15, and people think Im only JUST in my 20s (Im pushing30, yay me!!).

I just hope I age as well as my Granny. She's 85, but looks 60!

LD

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I wish there was spf 100, my maternal great-aunt died of skin cancer and my dad had to have surgeries for his. Since I am always overheated, long sleeves are not an option.

I am considering making my own, since the FDA actually limits the amount of active ingredients that manufacturers can put in sunscreen. Why???

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I've read that something after spf 35, it really doesn't matter number wise...whether this is true or not, I do not know. [huh]
Just this past couple of years I've been VERY careful about my sunscreen. And just health in general..I want to look good;)
LadyDay.....you look great! :eusa_clap

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Yes- I would love that Bullfrog It's SPF 70!! Ever since I moved to LA I started to get sunspots :eek: And my driving arm always is darker! I need to be dilligent in application I guess.

Rosie

One Too Many
I think Mysterygal may be right, I have read that too. I also know that a higher spf can be more irritating to the skin. I used a Nuetrogena tinted moisturizer one summer with like spf 25, something like that, my face swelled up and was so red and itchy. Though zinc oxide is good for sun protection, the skin doesn't like it too much.

MysteryGal - I love your new avatar, that is a lovely dress. :eusa_clap

Story

I'll Lock Up
... goes well with the lead-lined Fruit-Of-The-Looms.

m199209020012.jpg

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Rosie said:
I think Mysterygal may be right, I have read that too. I also know that a higher spf can be more irritating to the skin. I used a Nuetrogena tinted moisturizer one summer with like spf 25, something like that, my face swelled up and was so red and itchy. Though zinc oxide is good for sun protection, the skin doesn't like it too much.

MysteryGal - I love your new avatar, that is a lovely dress. :eusa_clap
:D thanks so much Rosie!
I find with anything I have to be careful about what I'm putting on my skin. What's also great is that a lot of cosmetic brands put spf into their products as well.

Naama

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
and people think Im only JUST in my 20s (Im pushing30, yay me!!).

I just hope I age as well as my Granny. She's 85, but looks 60!

LD

From your Avatar, I thought you'd be 18 or so :eek: (now really, I'm serious!)

Naama

magneto

Practically Family
Sunscreens...

Yep, Mysterygal is riight...
I'm pretty annoyed because the most effective sunscreen you can get is not available in the US, only in Canada (the crucial ingredient, mexoryl, is not currently approved by the FDA). This is the stuff that actually does work at filtering out the damaging UVA rays (which the stuff available in the US doesn't). I think this article about it is still active:

"Why is the best sunscreen blocked by FDA?"
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/story?id=858453&page=1

The Canadian brand you want to look for is called Ombrelle (there're others, but that's the one I remember). If you search online for Canadian drugstores you can find places that carry it and will ship to the US.

decodoll

Practically Family
magneto said:
Yep, Mysterygal is riight...
I'm pretty annoyed because the most effective sunscreen you can get is not available in the US, only in Canada (the crucial ingredient, mexoryl, is not currently approved by the FDA). This is the stuff that actually does work at filtering out the damaging UVA rays (which the stuff available in the US doesn't). I think this article about it is still active:

"Why is the best sunscreen blocked by FDA?"
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/story?id=858453&page=1

The Canadian brand you want to look for is called Ombrelle (there're others, but that's the one I remember). If you search online for Canadian drugstores you can find places that carry it and will ship to the US.

You can also find it on ebay. :)

Dahlia

Familiar Face
Does anyone have a face sunscreen they can reccommend that doesn't make your face look shiny? I've tried "oil-free" facial sunscreens, and they still leave my face looking super-shiny. My skin is naturally oily, so that is also a factor.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
dahlia,

to answer your question...please read the link i posted yesterday. This is suppose to be great stuff. Contains the mettalic sunblockers that the doctors are looking for.

This is a powder !!!! My friend fisherc swears by it for his family of four who lives in San Fransisco. It starts to protest immediately.

But you all need to read the thread and then go to the website.

Andy is completely right...i just can't type that long.

mark the shoeshine boy

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Dahlia said:
Does anyone have a face sunscreen they can reccommend that doesn't make your face look shiny? I've tried "oil-free" facial sunscreens, and they still leave my face looking super-shiny. My skin is naturally oily, so that is also a factor.
Well if price is no object...

Diorsnow UV X2 Ultra Protective Base is spf 50 and matifying. It is part of their whitening line though, so if you are looking to maintain that tan, it might not be so good. However, if you want to get rid of discoloration, it might do the trick.

The other diorsnow base spf 35 is illuminating, it gives you a whitish glow. Don't get that one if you want matte.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just vistied Rite-Aid

artdecodame said:
The highest SPF I've seen is 65, I believe. Not only am I very pale, but paranoid, too, so I'm constantly using sunscreen. At least I won't have crazy wrinkles in a few years like those my age who are baked from the sun. :D

Edit: I totally correct myself: http://www.drugstore.com/products/p...xp2=91579&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-CAT

I just saw SPF 70 !!! It was Tropical....something brand, had the chemical ingrediants the article recommends. It smelled like something you would wear on the beach, like a sun tan lotion....$11.99, but buy one get one half off. Wife didn't like it..but it looks like they are making it stronger. I thought is smelled very "Hawiian"....like sunnbathers.....

And yes, Sun Screen will protect your skin, and keep you looking heathly, and young. My aunt was a sun goddess, and today looks like a rasin. I wanna look like Dick Clark...he looks 40 when he is really 76!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
My grandmother was the same way, she would put baby oil on her skin and lay out all day at the pool...her skin looks horrible now. Oh, and stop smoking. I read an article that if you smoke, you're going to get wrinkles no matter what you do...definetely an incentive, don't you think?
Also, while we're putting on our sunscreen, this is a good time to buy a straw hat or something to put on top of our heads, I think a lot of us tend to forget this part of the sun avoidence routine

magneto

Practically Family
{{RE: mexoryl - based sunscreens not sold in US }}
decodoll said:
You can also find it on ebay. :)

:eusa_doh: Cheaper too. Yay, that will free up some cash I can spend on more glamorous beauty products!

To the person(s) looking for non-oily/gummy sunscreen, someone recommended to me (but I have not used) Kinesys: (quote from website) "it dries quickly without oily residue to hinder grip or comfort. It withstands vigorous activity and allows skin pores to breathe normally. Irritants such as oil, alcohol and PABA have been replaced with more sophisticated ingredients."
It seems to be marketed to people who are running around in the sun and perspiring a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner