Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spotted morning coat

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
I have found for sale a charcoal gray morning coat with white threads in the material woven so it looks like it has tiny white spots throughout. This is a modern Lord West coat that had been rental stock. But it has a very traditional cut and is a great price. My only concern is the spotted look of the material. I know this may have been more of an issue seventy years ago. But I'd like any opinions, if I actually ever found somewhere to wear this where people knew a thing or two about this type of clothing would I be bodily thrown out of the place? :)

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Charlie Huang said:
Seconded. It's hard to tell the precise effect without being able to see it for ourselves. It could conceivably still be quite classy, depending on how subtle it is, but your description is rather vague.

In short...
worthlesswithoutpics

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
I didn't have images of the coat where I could post them. But here are some now to show what the coat looks like.

SPOTTED_CUT.jpg
[/IMG]

SPOTTED_CUT_3.jpg
[/IMG]

SPOTTED_CUT_2.jpg
[/IMG]

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
For one, the vent is constructed incorrectly (the left vent panel should overlap the right like this ¬ slightly (the buttons ought to be 4" apart as a measure)).

IMG_2831.jpg

The cloth is very untraditional and more suitable for a lounge suit than morning wear. Another thing is that there is only one button on each cuff which again is wrong (it should be either three or four).

Is there a waist seam as I can't see it very well?

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
Charlie Huang said:
For one, the vent is constructed incorrectly (the left vent panel should overlap the right like this ¬ slightly (the buttons ought to be 4" apart as a measure)).

IMG_2831.jpg

The cloth is very untraditional and more suitable for a lounge suit than morning wear. Another thing is that there is only one button on each cuff which again is wrong (it should be either three or four).

Is there a waist seam as I can't see it very well?

There is no waist seam. I'm not worried about the cuff, I would add buttons for that detail. But if the basic construction is off I will keep looking for a vintage coat. If I'm going to buy one I want to be correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff