Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Squadron patch – which AAF 'Air Force'?

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I bagged this AAF Squadron patch for my Aero goatskin A-2 but, despite serious googling, can't actually find out which 'Air Force' it was part of (e.g. 8th Air Force) so I can get the correct shoulder patch – any ideas for a site that could tell me? I've found the history of the Squadron itself, but not been able to follow it 'up the tree', as it were...

It's for the 303rd Fighter Squadron...

4957_1.JPG

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's what I gleaned regarding the 303rd FS in WWII...

303RD FIGHTER SQUADRON

The 303rd Fighter Squadron was constituted on May 28, 1943 and activated September 1, 1943, as the 303d Troop Carrier Squadron, one of four squadrons assigned to the 442nd Troop Carrier Group at Sedalia Army Air Field, now Whiteman Air Force Base, Mo.

The 303rd, with its parent unit, was created to provide airlift support of Allied forces in Europe during World War II using cargo aircraft and gliders. Following their state-side training, the squadron arrived at Fulbeck, England, March 23, 1944, where it made final preparations for the pending invasion of Europe.

On June 6, 1944, just nine months after the unit came into existence, the 303rd's assignment on D-Day was a paradrop of the 82nd Airborne Division four hours in advance of the first seaborne landings at the Normandy beaches.

The squadron went on to participate in other major operations in Italy, France, Holland and Germany throughout the remainder of the war in Europe.

Following VE-Day on May 8, 1945, the squadron remained in Europe as part of the Occupation Forces until it was inactivated in 1946

Curiously though, on this site, which is rather extensive, there is no reference to the 303rd FS (just the 303rd BG) - it skips right past the number 303! http://members.cox.net/ww2squadronpatch/SquadronPatchAAFArmyAirForce2.html

Peacoat

Bartender
There was a 303rd Bomber Group that was part of the 8th Air Force, but the patch seems to indicate a gunslinger which would be a fighter group (or a squadron). I couldn't find a 303rd fighter group that was part of the 8th AF. Dixon found the 303rd Fighter Squadron which was part of the 8th, but I don't know if this patch would have been a squadron patch or a group patch.

Whether the unit was a squadron or a group, I think it is a safe bet that it was part of the 8th AAF in England. At least there probably is no one around to tell you differently!

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Thanks guys! Dixon, I saw that web page, too but couldn't find owt else about 'em. If it's the 8th Air Force, that's kool-i-o!

Peacoat

Bartender
One of our new members, Siggy, has an indepth knowledge and understanding of these patches and the units to which they belonged. Maybe he will see this thread and jump in.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Hi Guys,

According to "WWII Combat Squadrons of the United States Air Force" P367, the 303rd FS was activated on 23 Jul 1942. Disbanded on 1 May 1944. Reconstituted and redesignated 139th FS and alotted to the ANG on 24 May 1946. They served as an operational training and replacement squadron. Service streamers include the American Theater streamer. No campaigns decorations or emblem. The patch that you have might be an unauhtorized field patch which was common. There was a 303rd airlift but not tied to the lineage of the 303rd FS. I am not an expert, it is just what I read folks.

Peacoat

Bartender
So I gather from what you found, that the 303rd never left the States? Appears there were several 303rds during the war.

Welcome to the Forum. And do you still work on the F-4s? The Phantom, BTW, is my second favorite aircraft of them all. I loved the performance and the payload.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Yeah it appears that the 303RD FS never left the states. I worked F-4s in 83-85 then switch over to F-16s at Ramstein. F-4 was a heck of a work horse for sure. The E model will always be my favorite. Lots of stories but that is another thread/forum.

SIGGY

A-List Customer
303rd Fighter squadron

hello members, the 303rd was an OTU state side type,they trained pilots in various aircraft and was under the 3rd AAF command,it's a very neat patch I've not seen before and am glad that Mr.Badger posted it,thanks !!!1
Siggy

R. L.

New in Town
Was this fairly common to have multiple units with the same number back then? It's really avoided today. I know there is the 1st SOW(ACW) and the 1st FW, but for ten years or so they made the 1st SOW change its name to 16th. Otherwise, though, it would seem to be a confusing practice.

Arbroath7

New in Town
303rd Fighter Squadron patch

The first part of Dixon Cannon's post was spot on about the 303rd Fighter Squadron. The 303rd FS and its parent organization, the 442nd Fighter Wing, had their birth during World War II in the troop carrier business. Their D-Day mission was to para-drop the 507th PIR of the 82nd Airborne near St. Mere Eglise, France. In 1982 the Air Force changed the mission of the 442nd Airlift Wing from flying C-130s to flying A-10 Thunderbolt IIs and the unit transformed itself into the 442nd Fighter Wing (For a while it was the 442nd Tactical Fighter Wing).
The Wing's flying squadron, now in the fighter business, wanted to establish its identity as such and selected the patch based on a World War II fighter squadron's patch. The changes to the "new" patch included a red background instead of a blue one and a cane instead of a riding crop held by the diaper-clad individual. One bit of trivia; the Air Force-approved "official" patch has the lightning bolt confined within the circular border of the patch but a patch design with the lightning bolt extending past the border is preferred by the Squadron's pilots. It is very likely that many of them -- especially the newer ones -- aren't even aware of the AF-approved version.
Wear the patch proudly as it represents some of the Air Force's finest "Hawg drivers" who have taken the fight to the enemy in Afghanistan and Iraq five times since 2001. I spent the last 28 years with the 442nd and am VERY honored to have served with such a great organization.
For more check out their Web site at http://www.442fw.afrc.af.mil

kampkatz

Practically Family
Welcome to the FL, Arbroath7, and thanks for your military service. You'll find many fascinating discussions here. Your military experience will come in handy and be much appreciated, no doubt.

Arbroath7

New in Town
303rd FS

Today's 303rd Fighter Squadron, part of the 442nd Fighter Wing, which is an Air Force Reserve Command A-10 Thunderbolt II unit based at Whiteman AFB, Missouri is under the 10th Air Force. Here is a link to the patch they use: http://www.442fw.afrc.af.mil/shared/media/ggallery/hires/AFG-060113-003.jpg

During World War II the 303rd Fighter Squadron, which at the time was the 303rd Troop Carrier Squadron, fell under the 9th AAF. The air fields it based out of in England during the war were Fulbeck, Lincolnshire and Westonzoyland, Somerset.
Hope this is helpful.

SIGGY

A-List Customer
3rd AAF patch

Mr Badger said:
Thanks, Siggy! So would a 3rd AAF shoulder patch be appropriate on my A-2?
Yes this would be the correct patch to put on your A-2.
Sorry I didn't answer sooner,my PC died on me and I had to get a new one,OUCH !!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic