Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Staff changes at Aero Leather

majormajor

One Too Many
Thanks Holly. No the Selkirk is not mine but I think it was very well liked and I am sure many would like to see it return.

There is certainly a point of view which says that designs done by someone working for a company become the property of that company, rather than the property of the individual designer (unless, of course, some specific contract dictates that the designer retains the rights to the design)....

I am sure that lots of folks on here would like to see the deleted jackets reinstated. I, for one, was planning for an "Indy" at some point.

Obviously, if they are simply very poor sellers, then that is a different thing. But I think Aero certainly has the right, if they so wish, to maintain these jackets into which they, as a company, have invested much time, effort and expense.

Just my two penn'th:D:D

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
There is certainly a point of view which says that designs done by someone working for a company become the property of that company, rather than the property of the individual designer (unless, of course, some specific contract dictates that the designer retains the rights to the design)....

I am sure that lots of folks on here would like to see the deleted jackets reinstated. I, for one, was planning for an "Indy" at some point.

Obviously, if they are simply very poor sellers, then that is a different thing. But I think Aero certainly has the right, if they so wish, to maintain these jackets into which they, as a company, have invested much time, effort and expense.

Just my two penn'th:D:D

I'll discuss it with the other directors and let you know the outcome. I guess the Indy is a replica of a film jacket, rather than an original design too.... Leave it with me!

HorseHide

One of the Regulars

I was hoping to visit the shop someday and get fitted for a Stuart (of course, now that I've discovered Rainbow Country I may be "turning Japanese"...)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up

I really like the design of that particular half belt and prefer it over the Indy design with open flaps. My Gibson and Barnes Expedition (Indy) jacket is much lighter weight than the Aero jackets and might be better suited to the open panels at the bottom than a much heavier Aero, especially in FQHH. In any case, I really like the design of the Aero HB in the above URL and prefer it over my G&B Expedition.

Edward

Bartender
I may be "turning Japanese"...

Do you really think so? ;-)

Regarding ownership of designs... The law in the UK is that when something which qualifies for protection is produced in the course of employment, the copyright will fall to the employer (different rule for freelancers). What Aero are talking about doing here is not required of them by law, but it is in my view very cool of the company to treat any designs that are Will's own as his. Hopefully he too will be in production soon. A Stuart is on my list of future jackets...

Edward

Bartender
I may be "turning Japanese"...

Regarding ownership of designs... The law in the UK is that when something which qualifies for protection is produced in the course of employment, the copyright will fall to the employer (different rule for freelancers). What Aero are talking about doing here is not required of them by law, but it is in my view very cool of the company to treat any designs that are Will's own as his. Hopefully he too will be in production soon. A Stuart is on my list of future jackets...

Oh, Holly, any news on the 20s Halfbelt model going into regular production?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What Aero are talking about doing here is not required of them by law, but it is in my view very cool of the company to treat any designs that are Will's own as his.
:arated::eusa_clap
Yes, indeed. It is good to see fairness and respect till exist in the business world.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer

Oh, Holly, any news on the 20s Halfbelt model going into regular production?

I'll get in contact with the designer of the Stuart jacket and see what his angle on this is, if he's happy for us to offer it perhaps we'll be able to get that online and back on offer. As for the others, thanks for your links, will take a proper look at them one evening soon when I've got some time - run off our feet in here right now! :)

As for the 20s Half Belt, it is coming. We're awaiting new zips to come into stock from Japan. Got a really special new period zipper coming for it!

majormajor

One Too Many
What Aero are talking about doing here is not required of them by law, but it is in my view very cool of the company to treat any designs that are Will's own as his.

I agree wholeheartedly. And I believe Aero are a VERY cool & fair company.

However, some of the jackets in question were not, it seems, designed with only Will's input. Others (and FL members to boot) played a part, to varying degrees. And with something as difficult to handle & sew as HH, I think the input of the machinists and cutters will have played a part too.

Will has done much for Aero over the years, and if he can recreate the infrastructure necesssary to produce jackets of a similar quality & style as Aero, then more power to his elbow.

But Aero should not underestimate their own (and FL member's) input into many of these jackets. ;):D

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
What a shame (and surprise) to hear about Will's departure. I always found him more than helpful with the many Aeros that have passed through my hands.

In fact, Will measured me up, at the factory, for the 38 A2 I am expecting in a few weeks. No problems with passing on the details of such jackets, I guess, Cloudylemonade? I'm looking forward to a perfect fit.

Sir J

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I have found this to be the most fascinating thread I've read in years. Never have I witnessed so symbiotic a relationship between a company and it's patrons/fans. Ideas and designs going back and forth not just in background but out in the open it's just fascinating! Bravo.

Worf

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
What a shame (and surprise) to hear about Will's departure. I always found him more than helpful with the many Aeros that have passed through my hands.

In fact, Will measured me up, at the factory, for the 38 A2 I am expecting in a few weeks. No problems with passing on the details of such jackets, I guess, Cloudylemonade? I'm looking forward to a perfect fit.

Sir J

No problem at all, your order will be in place as expected. If you want a check up on it at any point, drop me a line at holly@aeroleatherclothing.com and I'll give you a progress report!

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
I have found this to be the most fascinating thread I've read in years. Never have I witnessed so symbiotic a relationship between a company and it's patrons/fans. Ideas and designs going back and forth not just in background but out in the open it's just fascinating! Bravo.

We're here to make the jackets that our customers want, so I think this is the way it should be!

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
I agree wholeheartedly. And I believe Aero are a VERY cool & fair company.

However, some of the jackets in question were not, it seems, designed with only Will's input. Others (and FL members to boot) played a part, to varying degrees. And with something as difficult to handle & sew as HH, I think the input of the machinists and cutters will have played a part too.

Will has done much for Aero over the years, and if he can recreate the infrastructure necesssary to produce jackets of a similar quality & style as Aero, then more power to his elbow.

But Aero should not underestimate their own (and FL member's) input into many of these jackets. ;):D

I'll have a discussion with my dad about everyones comments when we get a bit of time, and maybe some of the designs can be reinstated after all of the FL's input in setting us straight on a few of the designs!

I have found this to be the most fascinating thread I've read in years. Never have I witnessed so symbiotic a relationship between a company and it's patrons/fans. Ideas and designs going back and forth not just in background but out in the open it's just fascinating! Bravo.Worf
thumbs_up.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana