Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Staff changes at Aero Leather

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
Wow, I've learned so much about Aero through this thread, and it is an outstanding company! I must say, it only reinforces my desire to obtain one of the jackets. I will soon be able afford one of the apprentice jackets, and will look forward to eventually buying it!!

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
I've spoken with my dad about the situation with Will's designs and we've come to a compromise. Although the Selkirk has never been on our site before, there is one almost finished in the factory now, so I'll photograph it on Monday and get it up on the site soon.

As for the Indiana, I'm afraid we won't be offering this jacket anymore. There's a bit of history here that I wasn't aware of until now. We were originally planning on offering this style in around 2001/2, but when we were about to load it on to our website Wested, who originally designed the jacket for the film, called us and requested we didn't put it on the site. As my dad is well aware how it feels to have an original design ripped off (countless Highwayman copies are enough alone!) of course he promised we wouldn't sell it. I wasn't aware of this at all, so when Will wanted to offer the style last year of course I added it to the site without question, or my dad's knowledge initially. Knowing the back story, I fully agree with my dads decision to remove it, as neither of us really feel that we have the right to sell this style.

I hope any customers planning on making this order understand. Any existing orders will be fulfilled, but we won't be accepting any further orders as we feel its not the right thing to do.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
As for the Indiana, I'm afraid we won't be offering this jacket anymore. There's a bit of history here that I wasn't aware of until now. We were originally planning on offering this style in around 2001/2, but when we were about to load it on to our website Wested, who originally designed the jacket for the film, called us and requested we didn't put it on the site.

I seem to remember this being discussed back on the old Yahoo groups Classic 20th Century. Lots of members had input but I didn't think it came to anything.
Anyone else an old member of this group?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
As for the Indiana, I'm afraid we won't be offering this jacket anymore. There's a bit of history here that I wasn't aware of until now. We were originally planning on offering this style in around 2001/2, but when we were about to load it on to our website Wested, who originally designed the jacket for the film, called us and requested we didn't put it on the site. As my dad is well aware how it feels to have an original design ripped off (countless Highwayman copies are enough alone!) of course he promised we wouldn't sell it. I wasn't aware of this at all, so when Will wanted to offer the style last year of course I added it to the site without question, or my dad's knowledge initially. Knowing the back story, I fully agree with my dads decision to remove it, as neither of us really feel that we have the right to sell this style.

I hope any customers planning on making this order understand. Any existing orders will be fulfilled, but we won't be accepting any further orders as we feel its not the right thing to do.

I would imagine that most of us, if not all, would certainly acknowledge and respect Aero's decision not to offer the Indiana Jones jacket in this situation. Across the Pond, I am aware that both US Wings and Gibson and Barnes both make their versions of the Indy jacket. I own the G&B version (Expedition) in chrome tanned goatskin, which is much thinner than that used by Aero, at least from what I have seen of Aero's fantastic thick veg tanned goat. The open panels of my G&B version seems to work reasonably well with the light weight G&B Expedition and might be more forgiving if made from heavier weight materials. I will say that I much prefer the closed panels of the Aero jackets (30's and 50's half belt, highwayman, etc.), which are perhaps much better designed for heavier hides than the relatively light weight G&B Indy jackets. Any other opinions out there?

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I own the G&B version (Expedition) in chrome tanned goatskin, which is much thinner than that used by Aero, at least from what I have seen of Aero's fantastic thick veg tanned goat.

If it's the same that my Aero A2's made of, I can confirm that it's really thick, compared to my '70s G-1... I'm also happy to say that the Aero A2 is by far my favourite out of all of the leather jackets/coats I've owned over the past 25 years! And that's 25-30 different garments...

Aero really are a shining example to any designer, manufacturer or retailer... One day I'll make it up to the Aero factory for a visit, and get measured for a new jacket!

Last edited:

pauleway

Practically Family
I've spoken with my dad about the situation with Will's designs and we've come to a compromise. Although the Selkirk has never been on our site before, there is one almost finished in the factory now, so I'll photograph it on Monday and get it up on the site soon.

The Selkirk is the name that someone at Aero UK came up with from the design I made up for my jacket combinding a 50's HB and some M422 features that I ordered from Aero USA. It's a great jacket, the only complaint I had was it took almost 2 years for me to get it with the fiasko with Aero USA. On the positive side - I did receive my jacket just before the you know what hit the fan!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The Selkirk is the name that someone at Aero UK came up with from the design I made up for my jacket combinding a 50's HB and some M422 features that I ordered from Aero USA. It's a great jacket, the only complaint I had was it took almost 2 years for me to get it with the fiasko with Aero USA. On the positive side - I did receive my jacket just before the you know what hit the fan!

Pauleway, if you still own the Selkirk, pictures would be appreciated.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer

A horrible situation for all! If you're happy for us to offer this up as a standard design send me a PM with your name and we'll give you a credit on the product description once we have everything together to get it online.

I seem to remember this being discussed back on the old Yahoo groups Classic 20th Century. Lots of members had input but I didn't think it came to anything.
Anyone else an old member of this group?

Yep...I was a member of that forum for years(think I still am). One great thing about it was Ken Calder being very active on the Classic as well. Now that forum is lucky to get only a few posts a year. I don't even have it on my favorites anymore.
HD

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
Heres the Selkirk

DSC05510.jpg

DSC05514.jpg

DSC05513.jpg

DSC05518.jpg

DSC05517.jpg

DSC05520.jpg

DSC05523.jpg

Forum statistics